Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

SS v UQ.. much help needed!

I just got back from a 3 day "test" trip on the AT with my HHE and the supershelter. (will post pics soon)

I was left with serious questions regarding the SS and I wanted to run this by everyone here at the forums.

Friday night we ended up camping at Annapolis Rocks in order to see the sunset there, but as some may know, the drawback there is no campfires are allowed, so that evening I was entirely dependent on the supershelter doing its job, and I am hoping that the fact that I was cold through most of the night was due to my error instead of the supershelter.
    I had many "cold points" underneath me that I just couldn't seem to remedy, I'm not sure of the temps overall, but I do know it was cold enough to freeze my pb&j sandwich I don't recall seeing anywhere what temperature rating the SS can reasonably work to anyone know?
    Additionally, in regard to all the cold points, is there anything to remedy this? I had all the connection points in place, and it was in direct contact with the hammock bottom.

My final question and the basis for the title of this thread, what are the major differences between the SS and getting an UQ like the nest or something similar. I have no experience with UQs, but have read a LOT about them on the forums here, but I'd specifically like someone's opinion that has used both.
    I don't want to just give up on the SS if it is still a feasible solution for the cold, but also don't want to go through another evening dreading the hours of 230am-530am because of the cold.

It was my first trip using a hammock, and I am sold for sure as to the benefits of using a hammock. My HHE was just awesome, I found it very comfortable, I just had the issue with the cold from underneath the following night.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    If your sandwich froze, you were pushing the stock SS to the limits.

I have both the SS and an UQ. The SS keeps you alive down to freezing, but not necessarily comfortable. You can add extra insulation to and rest warmly at much lower temperatures, but you do this at the cost of more bulk and weight. You can also toss extra clothes or leaves (in a bag) underneath, and Hennessy recommends this. The SS can be a little difficult to adjust, and it if isn't fitted well you will have cold spots. Did you use the space blanket?

The UQ is far easier to attach than the SS, but not impervious to user error and improper fit. They are obviously rated to different temperatures, which I believe is opinion rather than scientific testing. However, the consensus from real world testing seems to be that the ratings are accurate, and that might be worth more than lab results. My Crowsnest surprised me with how warm it is, and the SS is just a curiosity now. It is remarkably simple to attach--just two clips and slide it into place.

There isn't anything wrong with the SS, the UQ is just simpler and produces better results for me.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    I agree with Trooper. I have used both the SS and an UQ. Specifically the 3 Season Yeti.
    I would never take the SS out again due to the set up hassle compared to the UQ. I have slept down to the low 20s in the SS and just a bit lower in the Yeti in comfort. I had to add layers of clothing but that is expected.
    I also second Trooper there is nothing wrong with your SS. Just got to tinker some more.

BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    I have been into the twenties with my augmented SS. By "augment" I mean space blanket in place between the hammock and the OCF pad and a 15 degree rated Sierra Designs sleeping bag. I wore Patagonia Expedition weight long underwear, Smartwool socks and a hat.

I was more comfortable when I added a KAQ as additional insulation.

Full dislosure, I did find the setup above quite time consuming to set up and a lot of layers.

Something like the UQ's mentioned or the JRB Hudson River between the hammock and the SS might work well and be a bit easier.

I have begun using a JRB BMBH with down UQ, which last night I augmented with a 1/4" CCF pad to take me to 30.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    I've got the SS with my deluxe. i've managed to go down to 0F with the SS but I used a heavier space blanket than what Tom uses in his set up and I dug a trench in the snow.

you didn't mention which tarp you used so i'm assuming your hex as noted in your avatar, did the wind switch on you at all?

i've found for me, which goes against most everyone, i get more warmth out of the SS but putting the space blanket on the outside of the foam pad.

during really cold temps, i used a thin space blanket where Tom shows in the videos and a thickner space blanket on the outside of the foam pad.

i've used the SS for 2 seasons now but i'm converting to UQ's to drop all the layers, ease of set up and UQ's i'm finding do not restrict the width of the hammock like the SS does.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    If your sandwich froze, you were pushing the stock SS to the limits............................ Did you use the space blanket?.
    That is just what I was thinking. I am a bit of a SS fan to this day, and I've got ( and use and like) about all of the different insulation types. Still, a hard freeze with just the basic system is pushing it a bit for me. I think of the most basic system (space blanket/pad/UC) as solid for me in the 40s, have been OK in the low 30s depending on many variables. Though a few folks here have gone a good bit lower. I have done the teens just fine, but by boosting it with many different things down in the UC or lightweight items on top of the pad. A down vest or fleece jacket or pants that is not being worn in the TQ or sleeping bag, put down in the UC instead of a pack or stuff sack,can give a MAJOR boost.

But first of all, you are using the space blanket aren't you? It is pretty limited for me without it, plus I get condensation without the SB. As bloomgorge said, virtually all experience has been with folks putting the SB on TOP of the pad, right next to your hammock. However, his zero degree results placing the SB below the pad requires looking into. I don't understand how he does not get a flood of condensation, but his results require some trials.

One option that I'm surprised HH doesn't push with the SS if the torso/kidney pads. This triples thickness right where you need it most, and is a big warmth booster. As far as difficult set up, a lot of quilts can be tricky to adjust for optimum performance while you are getting used to them. Actually, with the SS I find that, once you figure out what goes where ( esp. on mine the old system without the Velcro), it is pretty much adjusted. If hooked up to the stock tarp prussick hooks(old system anyway) it's pretty much set. But regardless, once it is in place leave it alone and just put it stuff the entire system (hammock plus SS maybe even plus TQ) into one large stuff sack. Use a tiny minibiner instead of the mitten hooks, that way things stay put while you pack up and unpack. Then you will only have to deal with difficult adjustment phase one time.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-14-2010 at 18:24.

SS v UQ

I have not used them in the temps you describe but I did not keep my SS because I felt it had too many components to it. I chose the Nest from JRB and I feel it was the right decision. It is only one piece to add and attaches to the velcro of the entrance.

I had it out in the 30's and was comfortable except when the wind blew really hard. I am going to add a weather-shield and that should help when the wind is really blowing like it was.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have not used the Hennessey SS. I have, however, used under quilts. I have a MollyMac IX underquilt for warm wether use, and I have a JRB Mt. Washington 3 for cold weather use. Both are awesome, and so easy to install on the hammock. Looking at all the fiddling needed when Tom demonstrates the SS in his videos, there is no way I culd be bothered to try it. No need to fiddle with the delicate open cell foam, nor augment it with a space blanket. Just clip it in place (both provide suspensaion), and you are done, and cozy warm.

Images
    So why does the SS cost so much if it can barely help you to freezing?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Because that's what he wants to charge for it? (sometimes cost has more to do with factors other than usefulness, something that many brands do.... not that the SS is not useful, just only for the temps it's designed to handle.)

I would not put a down underquilt between a SS and the hammock bottom. The SS is designed to hug the bottom of the hammock, and the down underquilt is designed to loft. If it can't loft, it can't keep you warm. Reverse the order and the pad is where it needs to be and the UQ can provide more help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast