WBBB 1.1dl, HH deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sorry for the delayed response, just couldn't get time to hop online...

So, for the space blanket, I had one with me, but let my buddy use it since he got even colder than I. I understand this may have helped, but I have to wonder just how much of a difference the blanket would have made, and for that matter if the blanket is really that essential, why wasn't it incorporated into the SS to begin with?

I'm going to try again with the blanket, but I may be leaning a bit more towards a UQ, though I really don't have the budget for one at this time. I'm also going to see about tightening up the SS pad to the bottom of my HHE to see if I can reduce a few more cold spots. I haven't ruled out user error yet, maybe I'll find the "right combination"

Thank you all for your responses, that is why these forums rock! Being able to get sound advice and guidance so quickly is priceless!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am an avid proponent of the SS and have used it successfully down to 12* F with a cheap-o Coleman 0* synth sleeping bag and sleeping layers. IMO the space blanket is a requirement at all but the warmest temperatures. It adds considerably to the warmth and protedts against condensation with can rob you of warmth faster than anything else. Even an underquilt will make you cold if it gets wet from condensation. The priciest component of the SS is the undercover itself. The OCF pad is very reasonably priced IMO as a replacement piece.

There is a fairly steep learning curve to the SS. But for the price, IMO, it is a very valid solution to the under-insulation needs. To be sure it has its detractors. But I am not one of them.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    I have not used the Hennessey SS. I have, however, used under quilts. I have a MollyMac IX underquilt for warm wether use, and I have a JRB Mt. Washington 3 for cold weather use. Both are awesome, and so easy to install on the hammock. Looking at all the fiddling needed when Tom demonstrates the SS in his videos, there is no way I culd be bothered to try it. No need to fiddle with the delicate open cell foam, nor augment it with a space blanket. Just clip it in place (both provide suspensaion), and you are done, and cozy warm.
    Well, yes and no. I guess it looks like a lot of fiddle factor, but it's not that much really. I am very used to the SS, so that makes it easier for me than for a newbie. It is maybe 5- 10 minutes (max) from nothing on the hammock to all 3 pieces on the hammock, ready to hang. The biggest task is getting the UC on there correctly(ropes through end UC openings), on my old style which does not have the Velcro on the ends, which should make it much easier. Once that is done, how hard is it to roll the pad out in the UC an attach the the elastic suspension in exactly the same way the IX UQs attach? Then how hard is it to lay a space blanket on top of that? Really pretty easy, though it is 3 steps, it is just done one time and then I leave it on the hammock until warm weather.

And most important, once you get it attached, you are pretty much done unless you decide to start adding things like jackets or whatever. (or unless you decide to use it at minus 27F like kwpapke did!)There really isn't much adjustment, just attache it and it is pretty much right. There have been quite a few folks here that have had do experiment quite a bit to get IX UQs adjusted right for them. With non-dif cut UQs, they have to be adjusted just right- not too tight and not too loose- or you won't approach their potential. And a few folks have to work a bit even with dif-cut UQs on to make sure the gaps on the ends are taken care of with proper adjustment. And many a torso UQ user has had trouble with them slipping off of shoulders or riding up leaving a cold gap.

My point is, it's not as though quite a few people don't have learning curves with all of these UQs, because they definitely do. Maybe not everybody, but a lot of folks do. It's all right here in the threads to read about. But I actually think the only learning curve with the SS is with initial attachment.(again, unless you are trying to push it to new limiits by adding insulation) Once you have it on the hammock, there is not much else to do, just use it.

Quote Originally Posted by sseaman View Post
    So why does the SS cost so much if it can barely help you to freezing?
    Assuming you are one of those who can successfully use a SS:
    A ULBP SS cost's $129, plus a $3 space blanket. Part of the basic system includes considerable(and very valuable IMO, my fav thing about it) wind and rain protection. Many have been able to use it into the 30s or 40s, a few even lower. Most 25-45 degree down UQs cost $189-$279, thereabouts. And you will need a bigger tarp well pitched to match the wind protection that is built into the SS with stock small light tarp. I personally don't think the SS is overpriced for the warmth, wind and water protection you get from it, even if I do sometimes prefer some of my down quilts. Then again, I am one of those who have no trouble using the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenal View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response, just couldn't get time to hop online...
    So, for the space blanket, I had one with me, but let my buddy use it since he got even colder than I. I understand this may have helped, but I have to wonder just how much of a difference the blanket would have made, and for that matter if the blanket is really that essential, why wasn't it incorporated into the SS to begin with?....................
    IMO, it makes a rather huge dif. First, when I use it, it keeps moisture from condensing in the UC and OCF pad. A big warmth benefit right there. 2nd, it seems to add additional warmth even without the vapor barrier effect, radiant block I guess. It adds an element of instant warmth that I can immediately feel when I add it. I think it is reqi=uired below 45 or so. And when I have failed to use it at 50, though I was plenty warm, I had condensation issues.

I don't know why they don't include the $3 space blanket. I guess some folks don't like it. But the designer says to use it.

There is a fairly steep learning curve to the SS. But for the price, IMO, it is a very valid solution to the under-insulation needs. To be sure it has its detractors. But I am not one of them.
    I agree. For the price and wind/rain protection, it a'int all that bad. At least if you are among the group for whom it will work, and that is not every body. There is a learning curve. But just check past threads to see if there are learning curves for other insulation systems, though the curve is much less steep for dif cut UQs, and of course PeaPods!
    Oh, and the curve is non-existent for a MW4 and a JRB BMBH. Just attache it and your done.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-27-2010 at 09:00.

Images
    Just to strengthen my point from the last post that all(or most) insulation systems(and not just the SS) might have some fiddle factor for at least some folks while learning to use them, here is a recent post on a dif cut UQ:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25236

Now this is on a super highly rated product with a dif cut. A product that will keep the poster toasty once he figures out exactly how to hang it on his hammock. I can tell you that quite a few folks have a lot more trial and error getting a non-dif cut UQ dialed in, while trying to avoid gaps and at the same time trying to avoid having it too tight thus compressing loft. Sometimes it can take some trial and error.

I think the perception that the HHSS is some super complicated thing to get figured out, and way more difficult than any other system out there, is incorrect. It does have it's learning curve for a lot of folks. But I think even that has to do with getting it on the hammock the first time with every thing in place and attached where it is supposed to be. Especially with the old model like mine, where the hammock ropes have to go through tiny openings in the UC, rather than using Velcro. But still, once it is on, there isn't really anything else to do. I have never had any gaps with this system UNLESS I start adding insulation to the UC. THEN you might have to do some experimenting with adjustments.

the ss is a great product and get you down into the teens as dis last night
    the ss does have a learning curve but once you get your good for life. just set up at home and do a test run. the sb makes a huge diffrence in the ss

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12