Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toggle failure

Toggle failure

We went for a short hike around Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield, GA, had lunch and hung the hammock for a short rest.

The hammock is a ENO double with whoopie slings, tree straps, and carbon fiber arrow shaft pieces as toggles. I hung the hammock between two tree wider than I normally hang, but within the overall length. For some reason, I put a overhand knot in the webbing over the whoopie sling. Thank goodness.

I gently reclined and then laid back. I was there probably 3-5 minutes when, POP and the hammock dropped a bit. I thought maybe the webbing slide. When I checked it, the arrow shaft toggle was missing. It had busted and was completely missing. I only found one half. The picture is blurry, but included. I have hung from these toggles a few nights before and did not have a problem.

I think that I put too much force on the toggles by decreasing the angle in order to cross the span.

Cutter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Interesting find, glad it wasn't night one of a weeks trek.

I've just got some broken ally shafts to make some toggles, hope they hold out

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Cutter, did you make sure to have the loop on the knot, and not the toggle?

I've always questioned using carbon shaft for a toggle. They are made to be strong along the length, not the width.

LR,
    it may had fallen down, but it was definitely over the knot. The carbon "appears" stronger than the alum. but who knows. I will keep testing it out.

cutter
    Last edited by Cutter; 11-14-2010 at 16:24. Reason: I am idiot

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Cutter, did you make sure to have the loop on the knot, and not the toggle?

I've always questioned using carbon shaft for a toggle. They are made to be strong along the length, not the width.
    that is hitting the nail on the head, the same with bridge hammocks the spreader bars are strong length wise but they will bend if you put too much weight on them when sitting up on them, also make sure the whoopie sling is not on the toggle but on the knot,, very important.
    But either way good thing you put a safety knot in the sling.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    I have had carbon arrow shaft toggles crack in the middle. They never broke completely through but they were broken. I have stopped using them. I have gone back to tent pole pieces. These are much thicker and have not had any noticeable damage after many uses.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote from this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15715

I did have one problem with a new marlin spike setup. I was using some carbon arrow shafts for the spike. I had a failure with these. I had a couple biners that I used after this. 2sticks setup had aluminum arrow shafts that worked fine.

The carbon fiber was not strong enough for the compression of the small cord when I used the amsteel to form the marlin hitch. The same thing could have happened with the webbing if it bunched up in a rope shape.

If you used as a toggle instead of the spike for the marlin hitch it would break for sure.

If you use carbon fiber shafts for the spike in a marlin spike hitch the bolts for a crossbow are thicker and would provide some insurance.

Bottom line when using the carbon fiber shafts is to make sure the entire width of the webbing is being used to tighten down on the carbon fiber shaft used for the spike.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

cutter

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I agree with carbon being "strong along the length, not the width." I cycle a lot and was talking to a bike shop guy who was also a quant with lots of degrees and important initials behind his name and he mentioned how carbon fiber forks absorb shock because they're absorbing it directly up the length. I just found an old tent (gasp) that I haven't used in years and low and behold it came with ally poles. The pipe-cutter has been getting some overtime use and I've already made 6 toggles. I hung my full-weighted pack from them using a marlin spike hitch on my webbing and also did a couple of dynamic tests in dropping my bag from about 8 feet. They held with no issues. Gotta love this forum for all the input. Thanks everyone.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I have about a dozen carbon tubes (cut arrow shafts), perfect for toggles if you guys want replacements!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast