Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Straps/Webbing

Straps/Webbing

I have the cheap gearguide hammock and it came with ropes and a S hook. I gather from reading on here straps/webbing is better. Not sure why though

Would these straps work for securing the end of a hammock?
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1450.5

Also they have these Loop straps which I thought might work on the end of the hammock. No sewing to do Just run the loop in thru and pull tight (this would replace the rope in the end where the S hook attaches.
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1444
    Not sure they are long enough though.

This leads to another question should that be 2 different pcs of straps/webbing or is one pc ok.

Are these straps the same as what most people use? If not what is the differences?

Also Risk talks about straps/webbing he got a Wal Mart. Does that strap/webbing work as well as anything else. It may be a little a more expensive but you have it quickly.

Images
    I would not use that webbing. I think the forces for my 225 lbs self can generate over 1200 lbs of force. I went to an outfitter here and bought climbing webbing. It was a little more expensive and a couple oz heavier, but I am not going to end up on the ground. I am starting to hang in fun places and I don't want to wory about anything failing. Ed Speer sells some on his site that is pretty good.

I am playing around with using 1 40' piece of webbing to serve as the straps and ridgeline. Just tie a loop in the webbing and loop it over the end of the hammock. Should work, but I haven't had a chance to completly test this out yet.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Its really not necessary to get separate straps for the tree. If you attach long enough straps to the end of the hammock you can use the four wrap knot at the tree end.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I gather from reading on here straps/webbing is better. Not sure why though
    The only reason I use straps over rope is so I can omit the tree huggers.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkwater View Post
    The only reason I use straps over rope is so I can omit the tree huggers.
    That and the ease of hanging on wider trees is why I changed. Now I only have to keep track of hammock in skins, sleeping bag, tarp. and stakes. I would get rid of the stakes put they are too convenint.

How many of you have removable straps on your hammocks. I'd like to go this route with my next hammock in case the straps get soaked. I'd like to pack them seperately from the hammock in those times, but most of the time leave them attached.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a 12" section of spectra cord from the whipping with a loop on a bight at the end. Sew a loop on the end of the webbing, insert that loop into the rope loop, then run the working end of the webbing through the webbing loop and pull to tighten. Sort of ends up like a larks head.
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    [QUOTE=Ewker;2176]I have the cheap gearguide hammock and it came with ropes and a S hook. I gather from reading on here straps/webbing is better. Not sure why though
    QUOTE]

The main purpose of the straps is to protect the trees. Ropes will sometimes damage a tree because they do not spread the weight around the tree as well as a strap.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    How many of you have removable straps on your hammocks. I'd like to go this route with my next hammock in case the straps get soaked. I'd like to pack them seperately from the hammock in those times, but most of the time leave them attached.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a 12" section of spectra cord from the whipping with a loop on a bight at the end. Sew a loop on the end of the webbing, insert that loop into the rope loop, then run the working end of the webbing through the webbing loop and pull to tighten. Sort of ends up like a larks head.
    I did something like this on my HH. The only difference is that they were not removeable. I was worried about the wet straps at first. The straps I used seems to hold water. But I am using sil-nylon snake skins. Even after having my hammock up in the rain, I didn't have any problems wrapping it around the hammock. The new nylon climbing webbing that I am using is only 1" wide and I don't think it would hold very much mosture. I think that in the rain I would go underneath my tarp and run my hands down the straps. That would get rid of any extra mosture. I think it would take a lot for me to need to do this.

Test this one out for yourself though. I have done some canoeing in the past (not nearly as much as you). I can see where you are concerned about getting things wet. I think that is what makes me weirder than most people about getting things wet.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    How many of you have removable straps on your hammocks.
    Here's a pic of my suspension system. I just cut my Spectra on my HH and I use the biner and webbing with it also. Basically one suspension system that works with all the hammock I own.

That's exactly what I was talking about, sans biner. I knew I'd seen a picture before but didn't remember where.

I just caught myself almost forgetting my slapstraps a couple of times and want something semi-permanently attached to the hammock. I've even considered buying some day-glo webbing to make some huggers with instead of black. Knowing me, it's only a matter of time till I leave those slapstraps on a tree.

I've going to monkey around with tying the 4-wrap wrap or something close to it with a quick release. I remember it being a pain to center the hammock under a tarp a few years back when I first messed with this stuff though. That's the one benefit of the treehuggers/spectra line - I could adjust that quickly with a couple of half hitches.
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast