1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Using nestable, single layer IX inserts with a down UQ?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not easily find anything with search or Google.

I've read some posts about supplementing down UQs with IX to reach into colder temps. Would just a MMG nestable, single layer IX insert work well with a 3/4 down UQ for more warmth? And would it work between the UQ and the Hammock? Or could it be suspended on the outside of the UQ effectively?

Or would a virgin piece of IX work just as well?

I have a 3-season UQ on order and want something to supplement it the 1 or 2 nights a year I might be too cold. I know I could use a pad, but I'm thinking a single layer IX insert might be less bulky and potentially more comfortable, thereby worth the $40. Anyone try this? Any thoughts? Thanks.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    What has been discussed related to this here is that the MMG IX sock will add warmth if used with whichever quilts you use. I think it was a 15 to 20 degree increase in warmth. I have not seen anything said about the IX UQ alone supplementing another UQ.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not easily find anything with search or Google.

I've read some posts about supplementing down UQs with IX to reach into colder temps. Would just a MMG nestable, single layer IX insert work well with a 3/4 down UQ for more warmth? And would it work between the UQ and the Hammock? Or could it be suspended on the outside of the UQ effectively?

Or would a virgin piece of IX work just as well?

I have a 3-season UQ on order and want something to supplement it the 1 or 2 nights a year I might be too cold. I know I could use a pad, but I'm thinking a single layer IX insert might be less bulky and potentially more comfortable, thereby worth the $40. Anyone try this? Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Edit: Dylan, It should work quite well for the weight. However, you might have to experiment a bit to figure out how to make it work to full potential. An insert or raw IX should get the job done, but again, you may have to work at it, depending on what you are adding it to.

First, if your main UQ is designed to fit snug against you, then you probably can't just hang it between quilt and hammock, because it will be smashed flat/snug against you. There needs to be a very small space.

At the other extreme, if you have something like a PeaPod, probably just laying it down in the pod will work fine. You can just adjust the pod so there is still a tiny gap under you. This gap is no problem with the pod, since the whole thing ends up fairly well sealed off with little opportunity for cold air to rush down below and fill the gap.

If you have a snug fitting quilt, you will likely need to just drape it around the outside of the UQ, so that there is, again, a very small gap between quilt and IX and at the same time sealed around the edges so cold air can not get between IX and quilt. Like Harpo said, an IX sock would be good for this.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-17-2010 at 18:49.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    A Molly Mac Gear IX UQ [or IX Insert] will do a fine job of supplementing another UQ. It will work inside or outside. My experience is that outside can work better, but it depends on how well it fits.
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 11-17-2010 at 18:30.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I am planning at some point in the future to make an IX underquilt to go beneath my down underquilt as a supplement. I will oversize it so that it doesn't touch the down UQ and put channels (possibly with nylon) along all edges so that I can cinch up a good seal. I'll post pictures and results when I get around to making it.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I will oversize it so that it doesn't touch the down UQ...
    I may be wrong, but no air gap is needed when using IX to supplement down.

In my experience when IX is used outside a down UQ, it helps for the IX barely to touch the down UQ. It seems to give the down UQ a uniform, heat resistant outer surface, which mitigates any inconsistencies there may be in the down loft.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I may be wrong, but no air gap is needed when using IX to supplement down.

In my experience when IX is used outside a down UQ, it helps for the IX barely to touch the down UQ. It seems to give the down UQ a uniform, heat resistant outer surface, which mitigates any inconsistencies there may be in the down loft.
    If using a layer of IX outside the down, would you use a separate suspension or try to attach it to the down UQ?

Also do the inserts have loops on them to tie on to?

Now that I've been exploring this, I'm also interested the MMG SEEPless/topless sock. How does it attach to the hammock?

Thanks.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    If using a layer of IX outside the down, would you use a separate suspension or try to attach it to the down UQ?
    Attaching it directly can work. However, with a separate suspension, slight tension is all you need to keep them together so no air leaks in.

Also do the inserts have loops on them to tie on to?
    Yes!

...the MMG SEEPless/topless sock. How does it attach to the hammock?
    The Sock, with or without SEEP, attaches just like a PeaPod. You tie it to your hammock suspension or whipping knot.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts