BcUK Group Buy
    Tarp
    Tatonka
    Insulation
    Snugpack
    Suspension
    Experimenting

Preparing for Winter

First of all I have to say that so far I'm not yet a "lightweight" hammock user, I use mine to be comfortable, mostly on bushcraft meet ups in the UK and I take a van full of other gear to demonstrate crafts and techniques.

I have used my current set up for a while now which is the Snugpack under-blanket and quilt combination and it's handled sub zero, still conditions with no problems.

The hard Winter we had over here last year has given me cause to wonder how it will cope with worse conditions though, so I though a recent weekend at Spitewinter would be a good safe opportunity to test out a new set up. Spitewinter campsite is about 300m above sea level on the windward side of an exposed hill so it is notoriously chilly and lives up to it's name well.

Some time back I bought a "Cocoon" made by Snugpack from another BcUK member. He had tried it but found it a bit too baggy for his needs. For what I wanted that sounded perfect.

My thought was that it would double the insulation around the hammock without compressing the under-blanket and thus reducing it's effectiveness.

Here you see the set up. From the inside there is the quilt in the hammock, the under-blanket and then the cocoon on the outside.

The hammock was deliberately slung a bit lower than I usually have it and I had picked an exposed position, on a ridge directly in the wind. The forecast was wet and windy, getting colder for the second night.

Had I been in just the under-blanket I think it would have made for a very uncomfortable weekend.

So how did it work out?

Getting in was a straight forward affair, I had rolled and reefed the mozzie net up which formed a ridge line that raised the cocoon up snugly around the under-blanket. I have yet to experiment with a SRL but I'm sure that would achieve the same result..

When in the hammock I found this to be a little too close to my face, so I used a mini crab to clip the mozzie net to the bottom of my gear hammock and give me a bit more breathing space.

I didn't zip the cocoon up fully as I prefer fresh air to the inside of a bag any time, but I was aware that if needed there was that option.

The first night was wet and windy as predicted. The low position put me directly in the wind but just out of the rain.

At one point I did wonder if the tarp was actually going to hold up to the buffeting it was getting, but fortunately the loops of bungee cord that I always add to each of my guy lines gave enough flex that no pegs were uprooted and the tarp itself was undamaged by the strain. No small wonder in the blustery conditions that night.

The only adjustment I made during the worst squall, was to reach out and check that the rain was not hitting the bottom of the cocoon and then pulling the windward side a little higher to reduce the breeze across my face. First test passed with flying colours.

The next night was certainly colder but much less windy. Same set up but now, without the wind, I found myself getting rather too warm. This was soon remedied by unzipping the cocoon somewhat and this second night passed comfortably and without event.

Of course, this needs to be tested in more severe situations but I am at least confident that it will cope with normal cold conditions without much adaptation.

Bring on the Winter...
    Wayland

Trust me, I'm a Viking... Wayland's World

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Nice report, Wayland! I like your set-up

Yeah, I'm preparing for winter myself. Looking forward to some good sub-zero weather hopefully!

Keep us informed on how you do in the real wintry weather.
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Nice looking set up. Iit should keep you warm and toasty as the temps drop.
    Terry

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Wayland
    Very nice report, and X-celant web presence . . .

. . . I already spent far to much time there this morning, and will do the same in my leisure.

I think many will eagerly await your postings.

Welcome
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    BcUK Group Buy
    Tarp
    Tatonka
    Insulation
    Snugpack
    Suspension
    Experimenting
    Thank you, I will certainly post updates as conditions allow and I'm glad you like the websites Bradley.

I have been a bit fixed in my habits with regards hammocks, I'm only just starting to refine my set up with a few minor tweaks here and there but it's been much the same for years.

I think I've got a lot to learn from you guys.
    Wayland

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Wayland's World is Way Cool.... AWESOME!!!! You mentioned temps below zero, I'm assuming Celsius and not Fahrenheit...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Great photos and writeup! Very descriptive and well done!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    me likes

i can't wait for cold and snow......winter camping Rocks!
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Nice looking setup Wayland. I noticed that you rigged a secondary line along the bottom edges of the tarp. This looks like it would be an excellent way to reinforce the tarp tie outs. Can you describe this a bit more? This looks like another one of those "why didn't I think of that ideas" that hammock forums is so famous for.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    BcUK Group Buy
    Tarp
    Tatonka
    Insulation
    Snugpack
    Suspension
    Experimenting
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Wayland's World is Way Cool.... AWESOME!!!! You mentioned temps below zero, I'm assuming Celsius and not Fahrenheit...
    Doh... Sorry, I forgot you guys tend to think in Fahrenheit.

We're a bit odd over here, when it's cold, we think in Centigrade, 0° being freezing point.

When it gets hot we suddenly start talking in Fahrenheit, "up in the nighties" meaning hot as hell to us. Go figure...
    Wayland

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast