WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Eyes

Hey thanks for the backyard pics. I bought a set off of ebay after checking out the ones at walmart. The ones at walmat are heavier,have fewer lights and use c batteries.

Anyway, really wanted to point out the eyes on the left side of your picture. Kitty cat maybe.... hopefully.... :-)

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I own them.. ENO Twilights. They are expensive at $20, they are cheaply made, they are without any adjustment for brightness, and they are not waterproof. Placing a condom over the battery pack is suggested. The door of the battery pack is flimsy, and the Twilights were given a mediocre review here by Babelfish5 (he says they're good, then tells all the issues with them--they biggest issue is the cheap build):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1e0AQhnZkw

I went on to buy two Orbit lights based on this Arson review (see video link below) and they rock! Better built, still lightweight, cast a nice light, adjustable brightness. I enjoy them very much and at $30, well worth the extra $10 over the Twilights. Plus they are on sale often, and if you check www.altrec.com and write a review of anything, your entire next order is 20% off (love Altrec.com for this!--I've ordered from them at least 5-6 times in the past 6 months) Orbit may be waterproof, I don;t know. Easier to put up on my ridgeline with a nice opening and closing ring clasp *the Twilights take some effort to string up and down. The Orbit stands up on a camp table, it is strong enough to read by (one cannot read by the Twilight, as Babelfish notes), and I can also slide the Orbit along my ridgeline to move it out of the way. I use one at the foot end, one at the head, but could get by with only one. At a miserly 4.5 ounces with the batteries (3 ounces without), I love the Orbit! Cute, small, strong, well made, nothing to coil, and it is a winner, as Backpacker Mag 2009 Editor's product of the year and Arson mentions.

So, from owning both, I much prefer my two (one white and one black) Orbits to the Twilights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F778FrkZepU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ht3vrrztlk&NR=1

Here's one place to buy it and see reviews:
    http://www.altrec.com/black-diamond-.../orbit-lantern

Write a review for any product and get an email coupon for %20 off your next order. The entire order (excluding North Face a a few other brands)... yep, you order $200 worth of ENO stuff (or any other stuff you want), and bingo, $40 off using the code they sent you. Sa-weet! Fr3ee shipping, no sales tax (how can REI stay in business?)
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 11-21-2010 at 09:46.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey CK1. I too have been eying the BD Orbit for a while but just haven't picked one up because I'm actually not one for carrying a bunch of lights. The only real light that I carry is my headlamp and my secondary light is just one of those button lights that I dangle from a shoulder strap.

On my solo trips I occassionally pack my UCO candle light with just the one candle. I like it because it's nice to look at the flickering flame for hours and hours when the campfire goes out. I actually hang it away from my hammock rather than under the tarp. That is what I planned for the Twilights.

I didn't realize that the Twilights were not waterproof. How odd since they are intended to be used outside. Somewhat false or misleading advertising on the part of ENO. The other piece that is surprising is that they list them as 2.5 oz or something so I assumed that was with the batteries. Babelfish5 cleared that up by saying that they are around 4 oz with the batteries.

Oh well, it won't be the last time that I bought a piece of gear that didn't perform the way I had hoped. That said, I still think/hope/pretty sure that they will be fun to have on certain trips.

Thanks for the update.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Hi Sherpa--I see from your above post that you did buy ENO; didn't see that before. Don't worry, we all get much gear. You will need to put a balloon or condom over the battery box because even condensation, I think, would short it out. I never tried mine outdoors because I'm pretty sure it'd short out in mist...and I bought the BDOs shortly thereafter. You'll see when you feel it. It has a "made in China" feel, but it's functional. Feels like, if you keep opening the battery door, eventually the tab will break off and the door will fall off altgether (then comes the duct tape, as Babelfish mentioned).

I still have my ENO Twilights, and you and I should think of some alternative uses: maybe wrap it around one of those reindeer hats and walk around the house like a psychotic holiday wacko. Or wait, how about on the underside of the toilet seat in a campground bathroom! When our fellow campers go to drop the kids off at the pool, they'll think the glowing seat is going to launch them into the stratosphere. Running back to your campsite, "Sherpa, Sherpa! The toilet seat is glowing! Are there little glowing aliens camping in there?! I'm scared. Bring your bright, waterproof, well-made and truly wonderful Black Diamond Orbit and let's see what's in the pooper!"

I have an UCO candle light, the smallest one, and I know precisely what you mean about watching the flame--peaceful. But, since it's the same weight as the Orbit, and the camping gear (hammocks, tarps) is hugely flammable, rather than move it away from everything as you've done, I use it at home on my back deck now. Plus I don't like the glass, pretty sure one day I'll smash it. I have heard of many campers who enjoy the tranquility of the flame like you and I just bringing the tea candles themselves and light them out of harms way, uncovered, in a teensy rock campcircle on a picnic table, for instance. Smokey Bear reminds us: "Bears don't start forest fires...people do."

So, no fear, we all buy the same gear, and your gear closet sounds similar to mine, and Arson's, and babelfish's, etc. Funny.

Remember, there's always someone asking "What in the world can I get Sherpa for Christmas--the guy has everything. He even has some little battery-powered Christmas lights." Just tell 'em to write a review on altrec, and then wait two days for the email giving them 20% off (plus no sales tax and free shipping) and have them gift you the Orbit for $24.

Oh, hell... just go on and buy it on your own like we all did. You'll have it by next week. LOL
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 11-21-2010 at 10:05.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Totally agree with CK1 on the Orbit lantern. It's very well made and has a feeling that it will last a long time. Light output is good too. But for backpacking, I consider it heavy. BurningCedar put me onto the Nite Ize Spot. They come in different colors but I recommend the white one. It too is well built and easy to use. Light is thrown out both sides and when hung from the ridgeline, it lights the hammock up quite well. Not enough for these old eyes to read a book by but enough to get organized. And it's very light at 17 grams.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Here's a shot of the Home Depot $5.00 LED Christmas lights from last night out on the Cross Timbers trail on Lake Texoma... the hammock is about 50' from the fire...

"One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    CK1...Ahem...I try to make it a point to always do my business with the toilet seat down. Seems more lady like.

I'm sure that I'll think of something fun to light up using the cheaply made ENO lights. Maybe I'll give it some class by letting it light up my bottle of Jack Daniels.

I actually like my UCO light. As I said I don't always carry it. When I do it's not as much about the amount of light that it puts out because we all know that one candle cannot light up a campsite. When I do my occassional overnight solo trips I hang it away from my set up not because of the flame hazard but because it provides a level of comfort with it's mellow light and gives me a feeling of not being so alone when the camp fire dies down. Yep, even though I do solo backpacking trips with my little Cattle Dog it still gets a little intense when the woods are at their darkest and even the stars are obscured by the tops of the trees. Must be the girl in me.

I do like the idea of putting the BD Orbit on my Christmas list. That way all of my friends and family will think, dog-gone-it...what in the world am I to get that woman who loves the outdoors and has more toys, gadgets and guns than most men.

Kat
    aka Sherpa

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBait View Post
    ...Nite Ize Spot....
    I like it for my little dog.

re: Lights

I found these at Walgreens for $3.99. Operate off of 2 AA batteries. Looks good in action...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
    I found these at Walgreens for $3.99. Operate off of 2 AA batteries. Looks good in action...
    Nice find and they look pretty darn good from here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast