Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    nashville,tennessee
    Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    4,286
    Images
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Tom,

    Neo's poncho liner is a resized one of a kind JRB Nest replica made by Peter Pan as an experiment and later sold to Neo since he does not do down...It has all the normal attachments of a JRB Nest...it is no where near a stock poncho liner... When used alone, I would not expect comfort below 60 degrees from poncho liner quilts, primarily due to the extremely loose weave of mil standard poncho liner nylon and overall thinness.

    Pan


    yeah its an awesome poncho liner,thanks jack neo


    i have used it down to the low 50,s alone and down to 28 degrees by adding dry leaves th the poncho liner neo
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 11-17-2006 at 19:29.

  2. #12
    Grinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    winter haven, florida
    Posts
    614
    Images
    19
    Thanks guys

    I get the picture a bit clearer now.

    With some cord and a few rubberbands, I have prototyped an underquilt that won't get ripped at any rate and might work.

    More in the morning, if I make it through the night. cold front coming here in florida. low in mid forties.

    If I do live, I will take a picture or two to share this wonderful thing. <G>

    Tom
    back porch hanger for two week now.

  3. #13
    Grinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    winter haven, florida
    Posts
    614
    Images
    19

    quick and dirty results

    Well, the jury is in and the underquilt failed.

    I almost made it through the night, but somewhere around 5 AM, the overnight lows got here. 48 degrees was forecast. I don't know the actual.I awoke to the feeling of my *** freezing off. I bailed and went inside.

    I have newfound respect for you 30 degree people. I've been down to high 30's on the ground, but hanging is another story.

    I couldn't get a good picture the way the light is this afternoon. This one will have to do.The poncho liner , mounted with three ties (two corners and a middle) tied off to each end, witha big rubber band at one end worked okay. It hung loosely at the ends, but was close in the torso region where I got coldest.

    The idea of stuffing the space underneath with insulation occured to me, but at 5 AM the flesh was weak (and tired).

    I think the next step is a double layer hammock with the 24 inch pad in the space provided

  4. #14
    Grinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    winter haven, florida
    Posts
    614
    Images
    19
    I tried to post a picture, but it got lost. It was 96 Kb and jpeg format. Size limit said 3 meg

    I wonder what happened.

    Tom

  5. #15
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,803
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    Well, the jury is in and the underquilt failed.

    I almost made it through the night, but somewhere around 5 AM, the overnight lows got here. 48 degrees was forecast. I don't know the actual.I awoke to the feeling of my *** freezing off. I bailed and went inside.

    I have newfound respect for you 30 degree people. I've been down to high 30's on the ground, but hanging is another story.

    I couldn't get a good picture the way the light is this afternoon. This one will have to do.The poncho liner , mounted with three ties (two corners and a middle) tied off to each end, witha big rubber band at one end worked okay. It hung loosely at the ends, but was close in the torso region where I got coldest.

    The idea of stuffing the space underneath with insulation occured to me, but at 5 AM the flesh was weak (and tired).

    I think the next step is a double layer hammock with the 24 inch pad in the space provided
    Teblum,

    Like I said earlier, poncho liners start to fail most folk beginning about 60 degrees and by about 50 for sure it is bail time....

    FWIW, you got cold in the torso precisely because it was loose on the ends... Loose ends are an "open window" summer technique...Any warmth your body was generating was lost thru the dual chimneys on both ends.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  6. #16
    Grinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    winter haven, florida
    Posts
    614
    Images
    19
    Thanks for the tip, Pan.

    Your advice was spot on. I'm a see for myself kind of guy, so I had to go there.

    I'm going to sew on another layer and slip the pad in there.

    Luckily, the material I made the original hammock out of was still available in the Walmart $1 bin.

    By the way, I weighed the 4 yards I bought this time. It weighs about 18 oz and has 6.4 sq yards of material for 2.8 oz per yard. Kind of heavy, but the entire hammock, with two ply will weigh less than 2 lbs. So goes it in the bargain bin!! <G>

    I may make an X pad (ala Sgt. Rock), if the single dad doesn't get the job done.

    If I come back to an underquilt, I will sew it up to fit. (or---Gasp!!) buy one.

    Thanks for all the help everyone.

    Tom
    Last edited by Grinder; 11-18-2006 at 14:33. Reason: add Name

  7. #17
    Senior Member southmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Northport, AL
    Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    721
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Teblum,

    Like I said earlier, poncho liners start to fail most folk beginning about 60 degrees and by about 50 for sure it is bail time....

    FWIW, you got cold in the torso precisely because it was loose on the ends... Loose ends are an "open window" summer technique...Any warmth your body was generating was lost thru the dual chimneys on both ends.

    Pan
    I only made it to 54 degrees Saturday night with my homemade poncho liner underquilt. Of course now I no that I can use it late spring and early fall. I added my CCF pad and slept to 7:30 am right through the 33 degree low. Photos of unerquilt attached.

  8. #18
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,803
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    I only made it to 54 degrees Saturday night with my homemade poncho liner underquilt. Of course now I no that I can use it late spring and early fall. I added my CCF pad and slept to 7:30 am right through the 33 degree low. Photos of unerquilt attached.
    Sounds like that is an "Amen".

    Remember, with the Mil Issue PL open weave nylon breeze/wind will really reduce even this effectiveness quickly...

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  9. #19
    Grinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    winter haven, florida
    Posts
    614
    Images
    19

    update

    Last night was in the 40's . I put my mat (Walmart Blue 24 in. ) inside the poncho liner underquilt. I rerigged my rubberbands and found some small bungees to get a tighter fit. I was comfortable with the Sportsman Guide lightweight bag and a bag liner used as blankets. I wore a sweat suit and socks.

    Today,I converted my homemade hammock to a Zhammock. It is supposed to go down to around 40 degrees, with wind chill (feels like)near freezing . I'm using the mat, the chintzy underquilt and a 20 degree synthetic down bag. I will keep the SG light weight bag as a backup blanket.

    Report follows tomorrow.

    Ain't it fun to reinvent the wheel???

    Tom

  10. #20
    Grinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    winter haven, florida
    Posts
    614
    Images
    19

    morning after

    good morning!!

    Things worked out well. Weather dot com says 41 degrees at 6 am.

    I slept through the night with one pit stop. I was quite cosy., although, when a body part got off the mat and against the hammock, a cold spot developed.

    I screwed up the quilt rigging so it hung down a lot. since I wasn't cold, I didn't try to improve the setup. There is room for improvement when needed.

    The two layer hammock is a treat. The ability to move around is a welcome change. My thanks to Risk and Just jeff for the instructions on "how to".

    Now that my gear is workable from the thermal point of view, it's time to look at packing and space. I need to see how small the hammock will stuff. and maybe add a ridge line for ease of setup.I know the hammock itself weighs about 36 ounces. plus zip ties and hanging rope. Lighter than any of my tents and pole free, which make packing easier on a motorcycle.

    Have a good day
    Tom

Similar Threads

  1. FOUND: F/L Down Underquilt Shell or 20* Underquilt
    By IbeforeEexceptafterC in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2014, 10:40
  2. WTB: Summer weight underquilt/Poncho Liner underquilt
    By Penfold in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 11:17
  3. WTB: UnderQuilt for HH
    By robabeatle in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 21:33
  4. Got my first underquilt
    By Caveman in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 12:50
  5. ENO Underquilt
    By eflat7 in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 09:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •