Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images

Hammock obsession?

My wife said to me the other day, "You know, this whole hammock thing is almost like an obsession." I said, "It isn't almost like an obsession, it is an obsession." To that end, I showed her my 1-inch webbing, my toggles with the Marlin Spike Hitch, my new (just came today!) Kelty tarp, the order for my Dutch 'biners and my latest acquisition, a 1965 Gimbles thread injector (pics soon) in great condition. She wasn't even mildly amused.

So I got to thinking about some of the things with which I've been involved and it occurred to me that these aren't obsessions at all. Well, maybe to a few people but they're more like outlets. I always tell her that there are worse alternatives than me getting involved with learning new things (like knot tying), using my mind in different ways and coming up with solutions that can lighten my pack, come in handy in survival situations or perhaps help around the house - I made tarp tensioners for the clothes line and she loved them!

A quick list of my hobbies/outlets/obsessions with approximate dollar amounts:
    Tennis teacher - more racquets sitting around my garage then I know what to do with. Probably close to $1,000.
    Runner - I've run 15 marathons and gone through dozens upon dozens of shoes. Purchased more running apparel to last me a lifetime. Race registrations alone are close to or even over $100. Shoes = $90 each.
    Triathlete - Swimming biking and running get expensive real fast. Hell, a bike alone can go for $3,000 on the low end!
    Hockey player - too much gear (read, heavy gear) to carry. I'm older now and need wheels on the hockey bag. Total package = $550.
    Hiker - I'm speaking to the choir here. $$$$$$$$$
    Motorcyclist - The used bike was $4,500 and you can accessorize to your heart's content.
    Hanging - I've only just begun but I'm up to around $250.

These are only a few and I'm interested to learn what other people are obsessed with.

Syb

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I don't play golf or hang out in bars. Those are expensive obsessions.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    ....I like gear
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I always tell my wife, "At least I am not racing cars!" She gets it. Mutal respect and some occasional restraint on my part let me get away with it.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    ....I like gear
    Gear is goooooood

Hell, a bike alone can go for $3,000 on the low end!
    Better come with a motor

or a driver

The used bike was $4,500 and you can accessorize to your heart's content
    like i said....

I on the other hand started to brew my own beer
    It only cost around $200 to setup...but now that I know what is going on I could probably get a setup for $100
    And if you have a large pot (turkey fryer size) then you are already halfway there
    http://www.howtobrew.com/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I just tell mine I was considering taking up online gambling (or something worse online if you catch my drift) but decided on hammock moto camping instead. It's all in the delivery, all in the delivery.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    With a fairly recent empty nest, I've finally got a chance to get my wife into backpacking. She has let me go year after year while she faithfully took care of the girls all those weekends. I just didn't want to sleep on the ground any more... so... $$$ later... (As stated before... Gear IS GOOOOOD!!!!)

I've tried to hide this new obsession passion, or at least smooth it over, by getting her the SAME gear I'm getting for myself. So far it's working????

I got in a little late to the new HF.net motto contest. My submission was going to be "HammockForums.net - Welcome to your new obsession".

Know what? I'm hanging the next two nights!

My name is Shane, and I may have a problem...

<edited because Shug's post below was so simply and beautifully stated... backpacking is my #1 passion outside of my family... hammocking just makes it better. Thanks Shug. Your post is spot on.>
    Last edited by ^shane^; 11-18-2010 at 21:11. Reason: edited because Shug worded this thing we all feel so well...
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    Yep, I'm hooked on this stuff like crazy now! I'm about to overdose on DIY gear. To many ideas and some much help on this forum, I'm about to loose it! My wife on the other hand is waiting for me to make her a hammock. Hope she gets hooked too!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In my book ..... being damaged goods myself.....but taking stock daily....... Obsessions make your love ones cry.
    Passions ....... I have lots of Passions!!!!! Folks may not understand them but no ones is crying. Just looks of bewilderment. That I love.
    Get into something. The discovery feeds the soul and keeps your spirit bright.
    Same take and some run their course. But you always gain something more and ones circle of friends widens.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 11-18-2010 at 21:08.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast