Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner

Any reviews or comments on the HH Typhoon/Monsoon tarps?

I'm curious if anyone here has used or tried the new HH tarps...the Monsoon or Typhoon.

I've got the HH Hex 70d, came with my explorer. It's great, but I've been considering doors for it. After doing some reading/research, it seems that doors would run me as much as just ordering the Monsoon 70D and having two tarps.

Looking for anyone here on HF who have used or tried these...curious what folks have thought of them. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Four Season
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ 72"
    Suspension
    WhoopieSlings

HH Monson Tarp

I picked a Monson at HH's demo/clearance sale for $49 but have only put it up in the yard. From all appearances it will be very wind resitant. I use it on my duaghter's HH. I also have one of their Hex tarps that I use doors from Q2ZQ on. Much more room of course.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've always wanted one - looks like a great value. I saw one at Fall MAHHA 2011 and was very impressed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest X-Therm
    Suspension
    Mule Tape / Becket
    Images
    I also picked one up at the HH Demo sales this autumn. There's a bit of a learning curve in using it, and I haven't quite figured out the best arrangement before trusting it on a trip. It didn't come with any instructions, and there aren't any pictures on the website. In particular, I'm not sure about the best direction to angle some of the guylines.

If you have a link with any info, I'd appreciate it.

Doug

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I bought one, I keep getting soaked at my favorite camp spot. The spot is right on the Oregon Coast, I love it but, it is windy, and rain comes from everywhere. So I bought the Monsoon. I put it up in my yard, I do not like it. It is too enclosed too dark, something too...
    I am going to use it for a pattern to makea copy out of my silnylon I found at the Mill Ends Fabric Store here in Portland, Or. It was $4.00 a yard @72 ins. Odd width, but that is just more fabric for me to play with. The silnylon is a lighter color, not so cave like. Maybe it is is the Camo, I do not like, just feels too heavy. Beaks would be fairly easy to make, if I do not like my DIY Monsoon.
    Two weeks until my next adventure, I am going to have to get on with my experiment, I do not want to get soaked again.

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    I have one but I haven't had it poor weather yet though. It's not the largest of tarps with doors available out there but a good product for the money IMO.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    As part of my question on this...does anyone know how the Typhoon (which is the one I'm assuming goes with the Explorer Deluxe) compares in size to the standard HH Hex?

If I'm reading the HH site correctly, it sounds like the Typhoon is 20" shorter lengthwise, and 30" shorter width-wise...which would make me seriously question it's usefulness in a serious storm!

I've got an email out to Hennessy asking the question, but haven't heard back yet.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I had my Monsoon out in a serious storm (high wind, rain and ocean spray everywhere, tree limbs blowing by) right on a cliff over the Pacific Ocean in Northern Oregon, we did okay. I did not have to abandon my nest this time. I used my Explorer DX, I am not fond of the Monsoon, I will make one from silnylon, I wish I had purchased the silnylon instead of what I did buy.
    What I do needs to be close to me. I do not want something larger, in a storm.

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    I used the Typhoon rainfly last weekend in the coldest weekend of the year with 25 mph wind gusts - kept the winds out of the hammock quite well. Last year it worked beautifully to keep me bone-dry in an all-day driving Florida rainstorm.

Me likey.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    One thing you may want to note: I found that the picture on the Hennessy site made it look taller than it is. They list the measurements, I'm not saying they are misleading anyone, but the angle that the photo is taken from throws the scale off.

I had pictured in my mind being able to put up my tarp and build snow walls around it, which I still can.... How can I explain it? The snow is the wall and the tarp is the roof right? (You sleep in the loft more than the first floor for this scenario ) Well I figured I'd have a taller roof and shorter walls than I do in reality.

I'm still very happy with my purchase though and look forward to testing this tarp to it's limits.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast