Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

potomac uq with hhss's pad

so a long while back i got the super shelter for my ul backpacker(back when it was on promo with the overcover thrown in) just got to setting it up last winter on one of the few nights it actually got below freezing down here, thats where the foot end comes together someone sewed the right side(as ur facing the entrance hole) on backwards (top went to the othersides bottom and bottom went to the top) seeing as how long ago i ordered i was not even going to send it back as i shoulda checked it out long before then. so i was just going to order a replacement earlier today untill i saw the price or them now(i believe more than i paid for the whole system but it was a while back so i could be wrong) at 109 dollars i figured that could go towards a potomac uq. Now i want to get the whole system down to 20 degrees so this got me wondering if i could suspend the ss's pad between the potomac and the hammock and what temp that would get someone down too. (or perhaps a summer uq or just spent the 25 extra dollars or so and get a new ss and just use both pads if i need too) i like the ss and it worked pretty good untill the temp hit below freezing at like 2 am or so but the way i was forced to hang it i think(not 100 percent sure) was causeing things not to work out right somehow or something. anyways any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Smitty 2.0

Images
    Sorry you just found out about this defect so long after you bought it. But I'd check with HH any way, they might help you out. But 1st of all, are you sure it is sewn backwards? I only say that because I know from experience that it is awfully easy to put that thing on backwards or upside down, especially the first time you are setting it up.

But for the rest of your question, yes. If the Potomac is not pulled so snug against the hammock bottom that it significantly compresses the HH pad, then you should get quite a boost to the Potomac.

Also yes for using 2 pads with a working UC. You should expect quite a boost. How much? Any ones guess!

First, are you - like me - one of the lucky group that the HHSS works for at all? There are more than a few folks here that it just never worked for, very frequently due to condensation problems. My feeling is ( can't prove it) that there are now a good bit more folks for whom it has worked either OK or great for than the other group.

Assume you are in the "it works" group. Believe it or not, the reported range here for being warm enough in a basic HHSS (1 pad, a space blanket and an undercover ) is some where in the 40s to below zero ( for Cryofthe wild and a couple of others ). With results over that big of a range, it is hard to answer what temps you will be warm at.

But assume you are like me, and an HHSS is OK to about 30F, when I add the SB. I think I have done a 45F night OK with no SB. OK, I need nothing at 70F minus 45F= 25F worth of protection from one pad.

IF doubling the pad thickness doubles the warmth or R factor, then change that from 25F to 50F worth of protection. Add back the 15F for the SB and that is 65F of protection. So I need nothing at 70F. Lots of folks that might be 75F. So just use 75F minus 65F = 10F.

I have never tried the above and that is all just theory. But I have often added something HH used to sell called kidney/torso pads, small add on pads for where you need it most and it has taken me well below 30F. I believe RamblinRev has been fine at 12F when adding these small pads to the main system. I don't see why using 2 full size pads would not be at least as warm.

Images
    Putting the SS on at the foot end has always been tricky for me - just need to do it correctly.

I'd first contact HH about it, they are very reasonable people, and although the SS may be out of the warranty period, it's not like the issue occurred over time or by user error.

I've used the SS with an UQ as well, toasty warm.

thanks guys,

i was at first thinking i was putting it up wrong but if u follow the black band that goes around the top edge its pretty obvious. maybee ill check with hennessy just to see what they say....maybee i can try sewing it or something(actually duct tape comes to mind) and two pads seems pretty light i think there 8.5 oz a peice so the whole thing would just be about 24 to 25 oz....and weight wise thats about halfway between down and synthetic full length uq's.....now how does one go about hand sewing silnylon
    Smitty 2.0

you know rereading my first post i shoulda said upside down instead of backwards(but hey it was late so you gotta be forgiving) i think that would of made more sense, anyways i just went ahead and unstiched the problem area now alls i have to do is figure out how to put it back together(hopefully i wont put it on backwards or upside down or something else silly)

once again billybob and roche thanks for the input
    Smitty 2.0

stiched it back together no problem now alls i gotta do is wait for some cold to see if all my not so hard work pays off.....probably have a super warm winter now......oh and keep the duct tape handy cause i just found out sewing is not my lifes calling
    Smitty 2.0

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    TWSmith, I have an UC that is the same way. I have been wanting to resew it, but just haven't had the time to do it. I may have to get my sewing machine out and get to work. I like the HHSS system, but the UC messed me up being the way it is. I have another one, but it has a tear in it and needs sewed also. I better get busy.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by twsmith001 View Post
    thanks guys,

i was at first thinking i was putting it up wrong but if u follow the black band that goes around the top edge its pretty obvious. maybee ill check with hennessy just to see what they say....maybee i can try sewing it or something(actually duct tape comes to mind) and two pads seems pretty light i think there 8.5 oz a peice so the whole thing would just be about 24 to 25 oz....and weight wise thats about halfway between down and synthetic full length uq's.....now how does one go about hand sewing silnylon
    you know rereading my first post i shoulda said upside down instead of backwards(but hey it was late so you gotta be forgiving) i think that would of made more sense, anyways i just went ahead and unstiched the problem area now alls i have to do is figure out how to put it back together(hopefully i wont put it on backwards or upside down or something else silly)

once again billybob and roche thanks for the input
    stiched it back together no problem now alls i gotta do is wait for some cold to see if all my not so hard work pays off.....probably have a super warm winter now......oh and keep the duct tape handy cause i just found out sewing is not my lifes calling
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    TWSmith, I have an UC that is the same way. I have been wanting to resew it, but just haven't had the time to do it. I may have to get my sewing machine out and get to work. I like the HHSS system, but the UC messed me up being the way it is. I have another one, but it has a tear in it and needs sewed also. I better get busy.
    First, HooRay that you have fixed it by resewing!

But I'm still having a hard time picturing exactly what the manufacturers error was, though I don't doubt it could exist. It's just that I have found there are several ways to go wrong with that UC when installing, even with the newer, easier model. Even when you have that black edge up at the top edge I have had things still be flipped around wrong so that the side tie outs would not line up, etc.

But no matter if your sewing has fixed it. Glad to hear it! Hope the HHSS works well for you, as it always has for me and some other lucky ones!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    BillyBob, on the UC where the bottom slit is for bottom entry, you have two sides and one side is twisted once and then was sewn. So when you try to hang it, it has one twisted side (only one twist). I tried it many ways and couldn't seem to get it right and then figured out it was twisted.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I'll have to look at mine. I know the first time I tried to set my SS up, it confused me quite a bit. I also felt like there was some impossible twist that I would never get out. I got it set up in way that seems right, but I don't remember if I found a way to remove the twist or if I just found a way to attach where the twist didn't seem like a problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast