WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Good for you Doc!

I'm glad to say that I *didn't* sleep outside last night, because it was only 34 degrees. I've been pushing into the lower 20's as they come.

It's nice to see others working on "acclimating" as well.
    Last edited by Lonely Raven; 11-20-2010 at 10:54.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Good for you Doc!

I'm glad to say that I *didn't* sleep outside last night, because it was only 34 degrees. I've been pushing into the lower 20's as they come.

It's nice to see other working on "acclimating" as well.
    HA! HA! Nice to see I'm not the only one wanting colder temps... Long term is forecasting low teens week after T-Day.... BRING IT ON!!!!
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Good for you Doc!

It's nice to see other working on "acclimating" as well.
    Thanks

Yea, I'm not "acclimating" actually, I sleep "out back" almost every night. The current temps aren't terribly new, just a new low for the all new set up. At work (24 hr shift ea 6 days) I sleep in a unheated room. In the "Same bed as at home"
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Thanks

Yea, I'm not "acclimating" actually, I sleep "out back" almost every night. The current temps aren't terribly new, just a new low for the all new set up. At work (24 hr shift ea 6 days) I sleep in a unheated room. In the "Same bed as at home"
    Wow, so you're probably better acclimated than I am!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Exactly!

Same kilt too

Last night it got as cold according to my wife (depending on which weather channel she watched), no pad this time & again I got too warm a few times.

I'm hoping for colder weather at home soon so I know under safe conditions (ie: I can go inside or add more insulation easily if its too cold) before hitting the trail what my minimum limit is. 25 - 20 would be SWEET!

EDIT: I forgot to add, what is the lowest others have gotten with their "Usual" backpacking gear? Lori already chimed in, & I may be jealous Thanks for adding Lori!

As we already have, list what you have as insulation & clothing if possible! Preferably NOT your "winter set up" but what you carry almost regardless of expected weather. I leave the RayWay at home if it won't get below 60 anytime during my trip cause the 1X is good to about 55 or cooler. But I often carry it anyway when on the AT because you never know in the mountains!
    Kind of hard to answer as every trip's gear varies with the weather forecast or just time of year. But for expected lows no colder than 40 or 30 max?

How about a Claytor No Net and PeaPod(no TQ) for (35?)40 to 65? Way over kill for 65(useless weight), but if it could dip to 40, I'm "covered" so to speak. Add some puffy clothing used to block leaks and fill gaps in the pod if lows 27-35.

For (35?)40-65, I also like my HHSS and any old summer quilt, again though is it only going to be 60 or 40? I lean towards this if the lows lean more towards the high 40s but rain/blowing rain/fog is a high likely hood. For ex, I used this on my Olympic NP trip, lows in high 40s, lots of fog and rain. Worked perfect! My buddy who was using down was starting to worry about some loss of loft by the end of the week. As with the PeaPod, if lows in the 30- 40s are likely, I'll of course probably have some warm clothing with me for camp wear and to boost hammock warmth if needed.

Also well loved is a 2 layer Climashield WB torso UQ and a leg pad and a Golight ~20 TQ. Have only tested this to ~42, but one layer is good to high 40s, so maybe 2 good to 30s? (My son was toasty at 27 with 3 layers in the UQ and a Cat's Meow bag on top.) And my usual warm clothes: maybe long johns(merino wool), or maybe some fleece, but usually a BMB 14 oz hooded PG jacket and 8 oz PG pants. Worn as camp wear, usually sleep in so that my TQ fit is not so critical.

IX is a work in progress for me, still experimenting with it.

Congrats on your new low!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In October in the RRG the temp on arising was 31 degrees and I was cool but not too cold to sleep with my WBBB, 1/4 inch GG pad, windshield reflector (1/16 inch CCF bonded to space blanket), Blue sit pad under my torso, Packa arranged loosely under the blue pad, Long underwear, and 200 weight fleece. I was also "inside" my polarguard 3D bag (about a 30 degree bag).

That's a typical fall setup for me right now. At least until I make a new quilt....
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow &amp; Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    what kilt do you have? i was thinking about trying the mountain hardward one
    Got it. Love it. 'Nuff said.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WBBB or GT traveller
    Tarp
    ZPacks asym
    Insulation
    Golite TQ / JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Cheapo webbing
    Images
    I should have all my new toys in by this weekend (well, new to ME, anyway!) and am really looking forward to seeing how they work out. Lows are supposed to be right around freezing here, which isn't really that cold for me. Except for my feet, I sleep pretty warm.

WB Black Mamba TQ
    JRB Mt.Washington3 UQ

and if I need it (doubtful)
    Thermarest Z-lite (possibly for my feet. We shall see)
    Backsider 15 degree synthetic bag
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Images
    congrat, the worse part is having to get out in the morning

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    OK, 29 is about it for the "3 season set up" it got to 27 last night & I had to use my large chemical warmer to not go in to the house. And, I was still just a little cold.
    BUT: I was somewhat wet as it was raining when I set up & it rained till about 1030 then turned to snow. SO, maybe if I started dry & the humidity was lower,,,,,,

But then I"m happy with a 29 degree lower limit for my 3 season
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12