Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

How much higher on the feet?

Ok, been hanging for a year or so, but I ALWAYS wake up with ice cold feet, regardless of the outside temp.

It's something I struggle with, and it's driving me nuts. Even at 55degree nights, I have cold feet.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm sliding so far down to the middle of my hammock, that part of the problem is my feet are getting really elevated.

How much higher do you set the foot-end of your hammock than the head-end? I've also considered converting my DIY hammock to a blackbird style hammock...

Thoughts?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Images
    Depending on which hammock is being used, zero to 6", whatever is required to keep me from slipping towards the foot. ( Or with a Bridge hammock, head higher by 6" or so)

Still, my feet always seem to be a little elevated, though sometimes a bit lower in my bridge.

You might need a PeaPod. Don't know if a pod is the reason, but I used to struggle with cold feet during hammock hanging as a noob. I used to use vapor barriers trying to solve the problem. The first time I was aware of actual warm feet was the 1st time I used a Pea Pod. Can't say for sure though, don't ever seem to have those problems with any system these days.

Also, at least once I have worn my Polarguard booties to sleep in a hammock, I think with my HHSS. Toasty feet in the teens!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I have to tell ya .. with my Blackbird adjusted correctly ... I am great and I am a cold sleeper. I just put my 1/8" Gossamer gear pad under my feet and it kept me warm down to 30*, with basic Merino wool socks and medium weight long underwear from REI.
    Just recently though ... I just purchased some REI heavyweight long underwear pants, (have 2 of their heavy weight zip tops) and some REI down Booties for lower Temps then 30*. If I am wrapped in my Hammockgear down Topquilt, and 3 season UQ and my fleece long underwear, plus my down booties, I should be good to at least 15* to 20*.If you continue to have cold feet .... Purchase a pair of Down Booties and see if that works for you.
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    15- degrees? Are you crazy! I live in San Diego! :-)

I'll see what I can do about warm socks. I have fleece booties, maybe wool socks will help.

My feet are nicely tucked in my 20 degree down bag. 40 degree nights and they freeze...

I'll keep trying.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questtrek View Post
    I have to tell ya .. with my Blackbird adjusted correctly ... I am great and I am a cold sleeper. I just put my 1/8" Gossamer gear pad under my feet and it kept me warm down to 30*, with basic Merino wool socks and medium weight long underwear from REI.
    Just recently though ... I just purchased some REI heavyweight long underwear pants, (have 2 of their heavy weight zip tops) and some REI down Booties for lower Temps then 30*. If I am wrapped in my Hammockgear down Topquilt, and 3 season UQ and my fleece long underwear, plus my down booties, I should be good to at least 15* to 20*.If you continue to have cold feet .... Purchase a pair of Down Booties and see if that works for you.
    Whoo Buddy! the down booties are on sale for $20. I'll have to go checkout REI this weekend..

Hopefully, the wife has gotten the hint, and the WBBB might be on it's way for Christmas...

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Yes. I hope Santa is good to you! Have you been nice?

Banned
    Images
    For anybody looking for warmer down booties than the REI version (they only have 450 down) you can go with the Feathered Friends (which have 800 down and use nylon material) or you could go with the Teanaway slippers (and go with the Epic material for amazing water resistance). Nunatak also have slightly taller ones and really tall ones.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    15- degrees? Are you crazy! I live in San Diego! :-)

I'll see what I can do about warm socks. I have fleece booties, maybe wool socks will help.

My feet are nicely tucked in my 20 degree down bag. 40 degree nights and they freeze...

I'll keep trying.

Thanks!
    What about a thin CCF leg pad tucked INSIDE of your bag? Easy to try, and you prob have a sit pad to try.

Hammock
    WBBB or GT traveller
    Tarp
    ZPacks asym
    Insulation
    Golite TQ / JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Cheapo webbing
    Images
    Even at home, I often wake up in the night with frozen feet. When I am camping, I just double up with a thin pair of sock liners, and a big ol pair of Smartwool super heavy socks. Sleep nice an warm all night.
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Theirs always ordering a pair of JRB Sleeves to slip over your feet. Thats what Im going to be trying out this winter.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast