backpack/gearskin should and hip straps

I know some of you guys have made your own packs and most recently the awesome gearskin bridge hammock. What i am wondering is did you start with the straps from another pack or did you make them from scratch. and if so. how?

Reinholds, PA
    DIY Blackcat
    DIY Quilts
    Whoopie sling
    There was a thread about 6 weeks ago of a catskin.
    And someone posted using a walmart gunsling as a shoulder strap. I almost bought 2 for my bridgeskin. I think they would work well. Twice I had them in my cart only to put them back on the shelf. I wanted my DIY project to really be DIY. However I think it would be a good way to go. Once you have the shoulder straps the rest of the gearskin is just a piece of fabric 13" x 60" with straps tacked on. You could buy a cheap Walmart back pack and steal the shoulder straps. I don't plan on using a hip belt but I left room for it if I change my mind. I think you could probably buy a used pack from ebay or a garage sale and take what you need. Of course they also sell gearskins and since I used his design I hope he sells many.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

Fall MAHHA 2015 Oct 9-11
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

i want good padding not just cheap padding

i may try making some straps with a layer of ccf for stiffness to spread the load and a layer of open cell foam or memory foam under that to conform to the shape of the shoulders and collar bones without creating pressure points.