View Poll Results: Have you tried HH?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • I currently own or I have owned or used a HH.

191 79.58%
  • I have never owned or used a HH.

49 20.42%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    If you drink beer from bottles (oooh, upscale!) and have a bottle hugger with a zipper, you can hang the zipper tab from a small carabiner on your ridgeline... I'm just sayin...
    Thats a fantastic idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I hang just about everything under the sun from the ridgeline already. Thank you for the idea.

I have a HH Expedition A-Sym. I got it as a gift about 3 years ago. I love it. It works perfectly for the 3 seasons I'm out hiking. I like the integrated bug netting and have no problem with the bottom entry. I've proven to myself that the stock fly works very well. I've survived many downpours and wind driven rain without getting wet. I'm sure there are other hammocks just as good or better than the hennessy, but I won't spend money for something else when the product I have now works great for me.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've had three HH hammocks, but now use a Claytor. I wore out the first HH (the original non-asym model), then got the really small racer model. I didn't fit in it too good and someone wanted to buy it. So then I got the ultralight asym model. I wore it out on my 2004 AT through hike and decided to try something else. The HH has a lot going for it, but I fear it's mostly good marketing. The bottom entry sounds good, until you try a side entry. For me, the velcro tends to tear things up so a zipper entry works so much better. The double bottom of the Claytor, while it adds weight, makes using a pad so much easier then in the HH.

But, even a bad hammock is better than sleeping on the ground!

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Started about 4 yrs ago with both HH Explorer UL Assy and a Speer-type 9 footer and soon added a HH BP UL Assy and a few quickie Speer-type 8 footer bodies to stash in ranger cabins I frequent.

Prolly spent over 250 nights and 2 to 1 in the Speers. When bugs are not an issue and cold weather is, the Speers are IMHO slightly easier and slightly more flexible to use.

Haven't experimented much or tried any other hammers tho.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

HH UL Explorer w/ SS user

1st year HH user. Satisified customer of Explorer UL with Supershelter and stock tarp. I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 220 lbs, so I appreciate the roominess of the Explorer. As a Minnesota camper I find the integral noseeum netting a great feature - so far have not had a single insect follow me into my hammock other than hitchhiking ticks. I use my current 30* mummy bag and have no problems getting in/out of the bag and/or hammock.

I love hanging stuff from the ridgeline and use the supplied slidey-bag extensively. Great spot for my iPod that I listen to every night on the trail.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, though I am starting to think about a configuration for winter camping. The HH bottom entry and non-detachable bug netting is not optimal for bulky winter bags and clothing.

--Kurt

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Kwpapke,

You're the perfect candidate for 2Question's Hennessy zipper modification. You'll love it and it turns your HH into the perfect winter hammock too!

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I don't want to carry a bug net in winter, so I got a cheap, double HAAB (like a Treklite, ENO, Tree Hugger, etc.) for that purpose. HH in the spring, summer and early fall when bugs are out, then a light, wide and open hammock for late fall and winter. Same tarps and pads with Big Agnes bag work with both.

I've owned two hennessy hammocks, thought the first one was perfect at first. You have to admit the first time you slip into one they are impressive, but later found the non-detachable netting a downer, plus so darn hot inside at times. Sold it and made a Speer type. Tried another hennessy a couple of years later but sold it when i saw the MADE IN CHINA label. I'd expect that label from most manufacturers, but felt let down to see it in a hennessy. Both came with too small a rainfly that had to be replaced. Now have a traveler hammock with a bug netting sock and a sheet of plastic. It's cheap, I'm happy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangingaround View Post
    I've owned two hennessy hammocks, thought the first one was perfect at first. You have to admit the first time you slip into one they are impressive, but later found the non-detachable netting a downer, plus so darn hot inside at times. Sold it and made a Speer type. Tried another hennessy a couple of years later but sold it when i saw the MADE IN CHINA label. I'd expect that label from most manufacturers, but felt let down to see it in a hennessy. Both came with too small a rainfly that had to be replaced. Now have a traveler hammock with a bug netting sock and a sheet of plastic. It's cheap, I'm happy.
    You would probably be interested in this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4695

It is a list of different hammock manufacturers, and the countries where their products are made. It is quite comprehensive; there is a good chance your new hammock is on the list.

Welcome to the forum!

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I have used an HH Asym for over 5 yrs straight out of the bag with no mods & stock diamond tarp. In all types of weather, the HH performed well. Completely happy with the hammock & stock tarp. I didnt change to a larger tarp until I came to this site about a year ago. I use a CC LEX in the winter, but I plan to add an underquilt and zippers on the netting for my HH. After these mods, I will use my HH year round.....unless the DD is better for winter camping. LOL

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011