View Poll Results: Have you tried HH?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • I currently own or I have owned or used a HH.

191 79.58%
  • I have never owned or used a HH.

49 20.42%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    i can't imagine getting into a top loader with the tarp pitched as steep as i hae with the hennessy. its part of why i plan to make my bridge top and end loading.

some don't like the hennessy bottom entry. i love it, but a top option would be nice for warm weather when the fly is hung higher and more open for ventilation.
    Of course, the only reason we don't have a top option, along with the normal bottom, is because of the non-removable net. If I ever get around to cutting that part off and re-attaching with velcro or a zipper, that would be a non issue.

Another thought on Food's praise of the bottom entry allowing a closer tarp pitch and the use of tiny tarps such as his poncho:

This gets back to the tarp attached to ridge line heresy. Unless the trees are really close together and fairly stout, I have always had very significant sag after hammock entry. Unless the tarp ( tied to the trees) is a pretty good size, I often end up feeling a bit expose on the ends after I get in. Bottom line is, regardless of hammock type, I have to use a bigger,heavier ( by a few ounces or more), more expensive tarp. Which is fine, I can think of several good reasons to have a bigger tarp. But saving ounces ( or, often, dollars) is not one of them. But if I attach to the ridge line, pull down tight on the ridge line into a steep storm pitch( while forcing some "pre-sag, so to speak), then tighten each end on top, and hopefully use some tarp tensioners ( only 2 needed), that rascal is pretty bomb proof. I think there is actually more rain coverage with my UL Explorer set up this way, than there is with my MacCat Deluxe tied to the trees. Reason: when the hammock sags, the tarp sags with it, leaving me snuggled well up near the roof where protection is max. Naturlaly, you get a loser tarp this way, but tarp tensioners or weighted stuff sacks and pre-sag tensioning will help a good bit with this, though never completely.

The point is: this kind of setup would be pretty difficult with top entry, though not impossible. So if you want to use a really small tarp for whatever reason, this HH design has some real advantages, as well as some drawbacks. That stock tarp, though very light, is truly inadequate when tied to trees. Which is why, I guess, you hear so many complaints about how inadequate it is. Once you lay down causing the hammock to sag(but not the tarp tied to trees), you are going to have a lot of exposure to side ways rain, even with a steep storm pitch. But when used as designed, you will have MUCH better rain protection, though you won't- no matter what you do- have the tightest tarp in the world.

For those to whom cutting ounces is of up-most importance, the HH is a really good design, and I figure it works better with that bottom entry/exit than it would as a top loader. But I usually take a larger tarp and tie to trees.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-05-2007 at 16:05.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Do you have any concern about the bars rubbing on the tarp, causing accelerated wear or causing a leak on the silny? I have been testing a bridge hammock, and that aspect has made me a tad nervous. What do you think?
    I've mostly been using the heavier non-sil hex tarp from HH. This will change when I'm on the trail. Just got word from JRB today that the 11x10 tarp-tent I pre-ordered is shipping....sure hope that does the job, or I'll be springing for an HH hex sil tarp soon.

The edges that touch are very rounded. In any case, they don't touch when I'm in the hammock, and if I were to leave the hammock hanging for an extended period of time without being in it, I can just lower it through my handy dandy easily adjustable suspension, or dis-attach the tip end of the pole and let it drop to ground, thereby reducing the width.

At RRG on our day hike I just removed the poles and used them, leaving the hammock hanging without them.

Grizz

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I have an HH Exped bought in Fall 2005. Quickly changed to a larger tarp. I have made a couple Risk Z Hammocks, sold one and really only use the other as a loaner.
    This summer I made an HH Clone with removable and interchangeable bug netting and over cover. I have no problem using the bottom entry, I just like the other options too. It's the only one I used since.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    The big advantage of the Hennessy is the bottom entry. That is what allows the fly to be close enough to the hammock so that a poncho/tarp is an adequate fly.
    i have hung my tarp as close as possible to the top of my top loader's netting on many occasions, it is harder to get in when it is really low, you just have to bend over/squat down really far, the only difference is i only have to do this when the tarp is low, a hh user has to do that everytime they get in their hammock weather they are using a low tarp or not.

but it is still totally doable, and i still have access to my stuff via the zippered side entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    ...you just have to bend over/squat down really far, the only difference is i only have to do this when the tarp is low, a hh user has to do that everytime they get in their hammock weather they are using a low tarp or not.
    I don't think you're getting in your HH right. I basically walk into the under slit, turn around and sit down ... lay down, pull in my legs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    I don't think you're getting in your HH right. I basically walk into the under slit, turn around and sit down ... lay down, pull in my legs.
    nope, with a hh hung at chair height, you have to bend over and duck down to get your head and shoulders into the slit. i guess if you hang it really high, you may not have to bend over as far, but with a top loader, you only have to bend over and duck down if you are getting in under a really low tarp.

what i'm saying is, even if your tarp is hung right at the netting of a top loader, you still don't have to bend over/duck down any lower than would be necessary to enter a hh, and if you raise the tarp, you may not have to do that at all, unless you have to duck in through a bottom slit to get in.

War - The instructions for a HH tell you that the entrance should be at chair height when under your weight. That results in a pretty high hammock for me, at least, when I'm not in it. I can nearly walk into it and I'm 6'.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    In reading everyone's posts here I can see that a truly unbiased observer would conclude that they are all pretty sweet. A few mentioned opening the HH up with zipper or hook and loop. When I bought my ENO (after returning from RRG) I also bought the bug net. Seems pretty easy to use set up in the garage, but it is heavy, 18 ounces after cutting off the excess webbing from the stuff sack. When I was into sleeping on the ground in a bivy sack, I had/have a bugnet for it that only weights 5 ounces and forms a little half tent over the bivy, using a bungie to hold the bug net around the bivy or sleeping bag and hangs from a line on it's top. The ENO seems to be a tent in a way that you enter as you get into the hammock if I am seeing it right, then zips up once you are laying in it and on it in the hammock.
    Serberus made a really good case for just hanging a sheet of no see um over a ridgeline- done deal. That would even be lighter than five ounces, and SIMPLE.
    So, seems to me the sewing of the bug net on the HH could be easily sidestepped by cutting the net off and buying a bit of no see um. Then it is out of your way, which is my big complaint with the HH, (after the bottom entry complaint).
    The same is somewhat true with the Claytor. The bug net is in your way if it is not in use. I sewed three ties to the hammock and can now tie it against the opposite side from the zipper to make the hammock truly open for lounging around.
    Conclusion: Serberus' idea of a simple mosquito net draped from a ridgeline seems to be a great answer. That's just my opinion. I can't cut the bug net off the Claytor though, it is too pretty. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Entering through the bottom slit in a HH is simple, I have never flipped it while entering like I have my top loading travel hammock. Though the travel hammock has that beer bottle pocket sewn to the side, so when your in the hammock your beer has a place too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    War - The instructions for a HH tell you that the entrance should be at chair height when under your weight. That results in a pretty high hammock for me, at least, when I'm not in it. I can nearly walk into it and I'm 6'.
    ah yes, i forgot about the hh stretch factor.

i was only trying to point out that just because one has a top loader it doesn't mean that you are limited as to how low you can hang your tarp. a tarp can be set right at the netting of more than just hh's.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 12-06-2007 at 07:54.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast