Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Candle Lantern

Hey all,

One thing I will miss from tenting is candle lanterns. I've read about nalgene bottles for warmth and found they work well.

But, here's a noob question, is there any way to use a candle lantern. They not only provide light and warmth, but seems to burn off some humidity and the citronella candles are okay against bugs.

I know it is probably a dumb question based on safety, but is there any mod or workaround so I can use my candle lantern safely?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I use candle lanterns hanging from various places all the time. I usually use S biner or some such thing and hang them from lines, etc. Especially winter camping they are a nice glow of psychological warmth. I am careful, but when handled with care, they seem to me to be low on the risk scale.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I use candle lanterns hanging from various places all the time. I usually use S biner or some such thing and hang them from lines, etc. Especially winter camping they are a nice glow of psychological warmth. I am careful, but when handled with care, they seem to me to be low on the risk scale.
    The WBBB Ridgeline too risky?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I do not think I would want a candle lantern inside of a hammock. The potential heat benefit is just not worth the risk for disaster. There are many safe options available for keeping warm in a hammock. I would encourage you to check the forums here to get some ideas on how to stay warm in a hammock.
    Last edited by Poppabear; 11-21-2010 at 14:50.
    Terry

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    I do not think I would want a candle lantern inside of a hammock. The potential heat benefit is just not worth the risk for disaster. There are many safe options available for keeping warm in a hammock. I would encourage to to check the forums here to get some ideas on how to stay warm in a hammock.
    I agree, but Canobie is an ingenious and conservative fellow!

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Tinny from mini bull has a video for a waterlite, I have seen our buddy Mr. Shug use em in a couple vids he has.... Check it out...
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Couple of considerations.

The UCO "Original" candle lantern burns pretty safely when used with their brand candles. I had used some knockoff candles from Sportsman's Guide and they burned so fast and hot that you couldn't lift the candle by the hanging chain w/o burning your fingers. Probably would have melted right thru many synthetic ropes, especially amsteel. In all cases the glass gets very hot.

The UCO "Mini" candle lantern uses tea lights. After a short while burning all the wax becomes liquid so if you were to bump the lantern or the line it's hung from there's a good chance you'll spill some of the hot wax. Also UCO does warn that it is possible (but unlikely) for the entire surface of the liquid wax catch fire. Not something you'd want to risk in a hammock or tent.

http://candlelantern.com/
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY ultralight gathered end
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    what if you just hung it from your tarp rigeline instead of in the hamm with you?? it wouldnt be as warm, but it would reflect off the sides of the tarp and shed more light, and would still provide a bit of heat.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I agree, but Canobie is an ingenious and conservative fellow!
    LOL, now that made me laugh. I use the UCO brand as well, using the beeswax candle which lasts 12-17 hours and burns very clean and predictably. I would not use it inside my hammock; however, I do like them on the tie outs for my tarp or off a tree limb close to the hammock.

I got attached to them when I did a solo trip in 1995 and really tried to be observant and quiet. When alone, you hear every twig break, see every set of eyes in the distance etc. and hung the candle lantern and suddenly "felt safe."

There is just something warming and soothing about the light. On a recent canoe trip Barefoot Child hung one from his tarp tie out and it burned all night. It was a nice beacon in the night when the night is 14 hours long and dark as can be.

I would not take one in my hammock though, nor would I in a tent. To the OP for me at least hanging did not alter my use of candle lanterns as I never used them inside a tent for all the reasons I would not use them in a hammock. As when I was a ground dweller, I hang them from lines or tree limbs, paying special attention to the way they hang. Plumb is important to prevent the candle from running down one side and burning unpredictably.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Not as warm.... but a whole lot safer... about equal glow....http://www.jacksrbetter.com/LEDLantern.htm

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast