Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Things were damp under the Kelty 12x12 including the UQ but not terminally so. The KAQ NR DW is an impressive piece of gear...I just need to sort out fitting and all. Might need to start begging the Mrs. for some Triangle Thingies...begging because there will be other items "needed" for further experimentation (shock cord, cord locks, etc).
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 11-23-2010 at 17:53.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Well Law Dawg..... I'm afraid I gave in to the downey dark side today. Ordered a 3 Season incubator & 3 Season Burrow. Olive green outer/black inner. I'm just a sucker for down. I was really on the fence about the Burrow, as I have a down sleeping bag that has served me well, but having a matching set TQ/UQ was just too tempting.
    I swear I will stop now. New WBBB hammock, second OES tarp, new UQ & TQ, and a BBO. I can only ride the "knee therapy" train so far. Time to hide the credit card.
    If you know of anyone who'd like to give my KAQ Lost River a new home, send them my way.
    Happy Trails
    KJ

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I don't blame you...down is just decadent in the comfort side. I saw your LR for sale at a terrific price and if I was not recovering from the NR purchase it would be mine, all mine bwahahah.

You sound all set up all right, but then when does that stop us eh?

Images
    So, LD, your UQ was damp? Did you happen to take that opportunity to see how warm it was compared to when totally dry? ( Though I guess, if you have not worked out how to hang it exactly, it would be hard to know how much any problem was from that from the damp)

BTW, I see you had the leg pressure thing again. So, the other day I hung the WBBB from the Vario, to show to bdbart who drove up here to see some gear. I am very prone to having the pressure problem, and no less so with the BB. But, that day, I got in and out several times and had zero pressure. Who the heck knows! I don't know what was done any different than usual.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, LD, your UQ was damp?

BTW, I see you had the leg pressure thing again.
    Yup damp but there has been a bunch of dew here lately (the tarp rains if touched). I did not test it for warmth but it probably would not have been a big issue since it was not wet enough to be compressed.

The leg pressure thing was IMHO not a big deal and when I moved into more of an asym position it became even less of not a big deal. Like any other hang set up, some experimenting is in order to find that sweet spot. I also believe that sometimes a few inches up or out or even the level can affect the comfort of the hammock...it just seems like magic to folk like me who don't always pay complete attention while setting up and are too dim (the 60s were fun...I think) to remember our last one.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 11-23-2010 at 21:35.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Update;

I'm just recovering from two major knee surgeries and pulminary embolisms with both so backyard research is my limit for a bit. Gives a good excuse to prep the gear and keeps me from going insane with no riding (until this week and that limited). Just bought a AHE BBO from Danalex and that is the next piece of kit I wait on. Well that and Bloomgorge's Elephant Trunk webbing buckles (pic below).

I spent the night out in my WB Traveler since my bride is out of town for a couple (she says she can't sleep well if I am not with her ). The UQ was a KAQ New River with the Deep Winter upgrade (with Triangle Thingies) and the TQ was a 20 degree Primaloft mummy (has a 2/3 zipper and so makes for a very nice foot box). I was almost too warm in wet fog with a slight breeze at 43 degrees for a low (don't laugh it's Kalifornia). Under our patio cover on the Byer stand because the tarp experimentation is for later in actual trees. I wore poly moto x socks fleece sweat pants and a long sleeve cotton t-shirt with a Turtle Fur balaclava. Tonight it will be the WBBB with the same set up....unless my bride returns early.

The KAQ NR DW is for my bride as I want her to be very warm and comfy when I finally take her to our high country camp. My thinking is that I will probably go with a AHE KAQ NR 3 season for my next UQ as that would be plenty ( perhaps with a space blanket) for my never below 20 degrees camp style (below 20 and motorcycles don't mix well). Also thinking about the Molly Mac hammock Sock with seep for the Traveler and the BBO with a to be announced sock (no SEEP) for the WBBB.

I took no pictures of the set up because frankly it is only different from the ones on the first page because of no tarp and under a covered patio (y'all have prolly seen one of those before). The Elephant Trunks (look down...pics borrowed from Bloomgorge) and BBO set up will need some "research" and pics though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    When the Elephant Trunks (ET) arrive I plan to use them as a replacement for the Cinch Buckles on my webbing. They will attach to the gathered end loops on my hammocks and detach the same way. This way I can remove the webbing suspension from my hammocks to store them separate. I can also simply run the ET end through the loop at the end of my webbing, making the two biners not needed. The webbing can be put on the trees before attaching the hammock.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 01-26-2011 at 15:50.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    All the best on your recovery from your surgeries and the PE. Great job on the updates and you've got some great gear.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks Syb. The challenge is to find out how far I can push without wearing out the titanium knees early. The surgery is no joke and I really don't want to do it again. So to the positive side the knees are what lead me to find hammock camping and HF...that has been part of the mental therapy as I struggle through recovery and LEO work comp (y'all treat us very well and thanks for that). Been fun researching here!

Slept in the WBBB last night (same set up). Warm and comfy (low 40s again, basically the same conditions)...fell asleep like I was shot with a tranquilizer dart. The NR DW UQ is going to work very well in any cold we encounter. Something less insulated will be needed above 50 degrees though (new gear!!). The 1.1 dbl Traveler seems more comfortable if a bit more narrow than the BB. The lay is better than the 1.7 dbl BB. The BB is secure though and a covers all possible camping adventures type of hammock. When I take off on an extended ride (Alaska 2012 ihopeihopeihope) the WBBB will be the go to hammock.

The NR UQ fits both hammocks well and the DW upgrade is no kiddin' electric blanket warm in Kali San Juaquin Winter temps. Big difference between comfy and just surviving...I intend to live not just survive. It will be able to take us well beyond my 20 degree limit. I did notice that the UQ needed to be pulled to the left when I was left side sleeping. That is most likely because I adjusted the TTs in a way to make that happen. Easier to adjust from the zipper side of the BB while keeping it set more for under the footbox. The Traveler and the NR seem made for each other...perfect fit.

Synthetic is most likely best for me with the moist camping we can do (read fog and the PCH AKA Hwy-1 etc). I will probably get the 3 season NR and have Paul do it in the wide custom (that until recently was a posted option). My thinking here (weak is it is ) is that the xtra wide NR could be pulled higher on the sides with the three (per side) tabs and some shock cord over the SRL and biners. Kind of a poor man's big guy peapod deal.

The true comparison of overall comfort between the WBBB 1.7 dbl and Traveler 1.1 dbl (with NR etc) will come when the set up is in the woods instead of the Byer Vario. The Vario works but adjustments are limited. I will say that as a 260 (and shrinking) guy that were I to do it all over again I would have purchased the 1.1 dbl BB and the same in the Traveler. Probably just the 3 season NR x 2 (one or both with a wide option) as well. Understand that I am tweaking the kit in my mind and backyard lab to get closer to best. I am very pleased with my kit from AHE and WB.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    Well Law Dawg..... I'm afraid I gave in to the downey dark side today. Ordered a 3 Season incubator & 3 Season Burrow. Olive green outer/black inner. I'm just a sucker for down. I was really on the fence about the Burrow, as I have a down sleeping bag that has served me well, but having a matching set TQ/UQ was just too tempting.
    I swear I will stop now. New WBBB hammock, second OES tarp, new UQ & TQ, and a BBO. I can only ride the "knee therapy" train so far. Time to hide the credit card.
    If you know of anyone who'd like to give my KAQ Lost River a new home, send them my way.
    Happy Trails
    KJ
    I think you will be very happy with the Burrow. I've only used mine a few times but it is really nice. I own a couple decent sleeping bags including a winter down bag and my winter Burrow is WAY more comfortable. I can't get over how warm it is either...I have yet to test it to it's rating and have my doubts but so far it has exceeded my expectations! You absolutely cannot beat the fact that it is custom made by Stormcrow...puts all factory bags to shame

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast