Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Right now it looks like that Thursday will be below zero, Friday night about 5 and Saturday night around 10 with snow showing up that Sunday.
    If you don't like that forecast, wait a few hours and there will be a different one. welcome to the mountains of the Southeast.
    Medicineman, that link I sent you a while back has MOLLE belts. It's not a harness, but I don't think it will slip anywhere. Then again, you could velcro something onto your LuxuryLite hipbelt that would work as well.
    Hmmm... that one has me wondering if I should bring my LuxuryLite with that 60L drybag that I used on the MOLLE at Linville Gorge last time...

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Yep, I'm still planning on coming, even though I don't have a pulk or snowshoes or even Katoolahs. Might have to make a pulk though. Only problem is I'd never use it for anything other than sledding. I'll see what I have laying around that might do, I already know how I'm gonna attach it to my MMP.

I may even have your kilt done by then, MM!

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Thanks Walter....yeah I'm considering the options. I found a True North Serac upstairs..I think it is stout enough for pulking..the hipbelt has daisies on it but not tight enough to keep a split ring from moving to and fro an inch. Surely someone in JC has an industrial thread injector that can corral the split ring. The Serac is a waterproof/roll top hip pack with harness and hipbelt. I'm thinking you might want to keep a shell somewhere close along with snacks/water etc without having to open up the pulk----your all's thoughts on this? I know you don't want a lot of weight on your person when you've got the advantage of the pulk.
    I also found a Gaia portage pack which seemed perfect for laying in the pulk. It's between 6000 and 7000 cubes and has a shoulder straps/hipbelt well for when you portage...only problem---some big dummy either left a power bar in it or zipped it shut with a mouse in it...so I spent 30 min's today with patches and an iron. I carried 30 pounds in it from the road in to the house last night and by the time I got home I'd forgotten I was carrying it...not an ULA but if you had to carry out for some reason the option is already there.
    That 60L bag will work well on the pulk or on the packframe-best of both worlds you've got there and the LL frame's weight is hardly a penalty....it could even be a camp chair.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Acer! Great news your coming! Don't worry about the kilt just get your puckerfactor there HA! Extra snowshoes...I thought I posted I have several pair if anyone needs? Didn't I? I thought I mentioned I've got the old school wood/sinew models...your welcome to use a pair, just remind me to bring them! I also have a pair of microspikes, for what we're doing their good enough. Over the last 2 weeks I've put 14 miles on my aluminum Katoohlas...up here they've become a dont leave home without item due to the constant ice. I actually took a tape measure out in the driveway this afternoon, still around 6-7 inches but its the ice on the bottom that will be there until April that is the witch.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Thanks Walter....yeah I'm considering the options. I found a True North Serac upstairs..I think it is stout enough for pulking..the hipbelt has daisies on it but not tight enough to keep a split ring from moving to and fro an inch. Surely someone in JC has an industrial thread injector that can corral the split ring. The Serac is a waterproof/roll top hip pack with harness and hipbelt. I'm thinking you might want to keep a shell somewhere close along with snacks/water etc without having to open up the pulk----your all's thoughts on this? I know you don't want a lot of weight on your person when you've got the advantage of the pulk.
    I also found a Gaia portage pack which seemed perfect for laying in the pulk. It's between 6000 and 7000 cubes and has a shoulder straps/hipbelt well for when you portage...only problem---some big dummy either left a power bar in it or zipped it shut with a mouse in it...so I spent 30 min's today with patches and an iron. I carried 30 pounds in it from the road in to the house last night and by the time I got home I'd forgotten I was carrying it...not an ULA but if you had to carry out for some reason the option is already there.
    That 60L bag will work well on the pulk or on the packframe-best of both worlds you've got there and the LL frame's weight is hardly a penalty....it could even be a camp chair.
    If you want 8000 cubes, just use one of these! What I would have given for a function hipbelt that trip....

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Puckerfactor, you could make a Portable Pulk at very little cost!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    That's funny, I was thinking along those exact same lines, but had never seen that thread! Now I just have to find somewhere around here that carries them.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    ...just have to find somewhere around here that carries them.
    If you cannot find one, I have an extra that is still stock (no holes). They sell them at the hardware store in Lexington, NC.

I've never used mine, but if there is not much snow on Roan Mtn, I'll carry it. You just have to make sure your have a pack cover that will completely cover the pack! I use a $1.98 army surplus jeep tire cover ...in desert camo.
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 01-31-2011 at 07:26.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Byer of Maine
    Tarp
    5x7 Wally World
    Insulation
    baginabag
    Suspension
    depends
    Images
    Oh I cant wait for cold weather "hang" again. If Tennessee could even muster temps close to Northern Tier, I will be ecstatic!
    40 nights out hammocking 2011...

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nfields260 View Post
    Oh I cant wait for cold weather "hang" again. If Tennessee could even muster temps close to Northern Tier, I will be ecstatic!
    It did a few weeks ago. Citico/Slickrock was around minus 12 with about 2.5 feet of snow. Of course it's a bit steeper around here than in MN.

• + New Posts
  • Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast