Tarp
    Ponch or DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Webbing

Smile Hi from Norfolk in the UK

Hi all danglers.

I got into hammock camping three years ago when, at the age of 47, I went up to Scotland with my eldest son to walk the West Highland Way.

I noticed two things:

1) I am now getting too old and achey to sleep on the ground, even with a top of the range Thermarest and a good down bag.

2) There's a helluva lotta trees in Scotland.

So I went looking for a hammock.

The price of a Hennesey (the only good camping hammock you could buy in the UK at the time) was around £100 ($170) which is more than a decent one-man tent. Then I discovered DD Hammocks. For £22 I got a hammock with a built-in mosquito net, thermal pad sleeve and for another £10 I got a rip-stop nylon poncho. Since then I have never considered sleeping on the ground again.

I was looking around yesterday for a snakeskin for the hammock and discovered your site. There seems to be no such community in the UK at all. Guess I'll have to start one myself...

I look forward to swapping gear tips and pictures in future.

LJ

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF we are glad that you discovered us and decided to join. Check out he google user map feature on the home page. There quite a few members from the UK. Perhaps they will chime in when they see your post. If you get time check out Shug's and Grizz's video on here. They hold a wealth of information and make you alugh at the same time.
    Last edited by Poppabear; 11-23-2010 at 09:30.
    Terry

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Welcome to HF from across the pond..............We are glad that you found us out here on the WWW. There are more UK hangers on this site than you may think and I know they will chime in soon. Follow Poppabears advice and check out the listed videos and DIY section for ideas on gear.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Nomad's Land XXL / DD
    Tarp
    DD XL / 3x3
    Insulation
    Mat
    Suspension
    webbing + biners
    Hi LJ, there are a few of us from the UK over here on this site, most are usually on BCUK also. I found the same thing as you regarding sleeping out: even a super thick Thermarest isn't as comfy as a hammock. There's a world of info over here on HF, and many hours' worth of reading.

Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    Karrimor bag
    Suspension
    Stock webbing
    Images
    Hey LJDellar
    As Dunk said there are a few of us here in the UK, and I don't think I've encountered you yet Dunk so this is a hello to you both, and also an invitation to a possible New Forest/North-South Downs hangout next spring if anyone is interested: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=24624. And just you hang around here I haven't been here long and they have already educated me on the benefits of such things as whoopie slings and UQ's and opened my eyes (and wallet) to a whole new world!
    Cheers

CamWaite

Be who you are and say or do what you will, for those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Hi LJ, welcome to HF from sunny Peterboghorror.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Howdy, LJ! Glad you've joined us and welcome! This is a great forum, filled with a lot of nice and knowledgeable folks. Can't wait to hear about your adventures in hangin'.

Darwin

Hi from the south of england

hi fellow hanger,
    i hail from hampshire in the far south of our wonderful country,im also with a few other website's the main one apart from this one is :www.stoneagebushcraft.co.uk ,we are mostly tree hangers but have a few floor dwellers,check out the website join if you fancy chatting about all aspects of bushcraft ,survival, wild foods just to mention a few.

happy hanging

• + New Posts