WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Small Hex
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lyodom View Post
    That's a WBBB I have hanging on the picture above.
    So it is...

I know what I'm getting for xmas!

Must be terrible to live where there are no trees in the yard.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanson View Post
    Law Dawg - are you saying you've tried the Byer with a WBBB and it doesn't work quite right?

I'm looking for a lighter (lighter than 2 x 4's) stand to use inside - preferably aluminum...
    Last things first. If I had the room and a more understanding wife, the Byer would be set up in our home and I would build a serious wood research station in our back yard. That to say this, the Vario will work fine inside...maybe even better than outside (moisture corrosion).

Oddly enough, I just walked away from the backyard lab a few minutes ago. Tweaking the Byer while testing the WBBB on it. I am NOT saying it does not work quite right but that I need to play...errr work with it to figure out the best set up for me.

Prelininary results:
    Just tried shortening the length between attachment points by 6 inches (I had everything maxed out...meaning as high and wide as it goes); heard that the closer the hang points the lower the webbing needs to be to get that 25 to 30 degree angle. Since the attachment points are limited in height, shortening the stand made sense.

Then I lowered one upright (head end) one notch; heard that the foot needs to be higher than the head and Brandon says leaving the head strap end longer will compensate. Having less width, I decided to try lowering the one attachment point instead.

Further testing needed;
    Setting the attachment points closer and lowering one end one more space will need to be done to check the angle and ridgeline test of the WBBB further. I will be seeking a Federal grant to fund further research as competing with Shug and others (for manufacturers equipment to test) here is simply unrealistic.

Preliminary conclusions:
    The ridgeline test (bend while laying inline) proved to be signifigantly improved as did my comfort (subjective as that is it is still important to me). I rate this test a success and am compelled to do further experimentation.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    Your are right RP why in Janurary/Feburary when I go out into my back yard it is often so cold I am almost compelled to wear shoes. Sometimes it is too cold to wear my shorts and tee shirt. It's bad, real bad I tell ya.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    I have two trees in my yard! It's just that one is in the back and the other in the front and there is a house between them

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    Prelininary results:
    Just tried shortening the length between attachment points by 6 inches (I had everything maxed out...meaning as high and wide as it goes); heard that the closer the hang points the lower the webbing needs to be to get that 25 to 30 degree angle. Since the attachment points are limited in height, shortening the stand made sense.

Then I lowered one upright (head end) one notch; heard that the foot needs to be higher than the head and Brandon says leaving the head strap end longer will compensate. Having less width, I decided to try lowering the one attachment point instead.

Further testing needed;
    Setting the attachment points closer and lowering one end one more space will need to be done to check the angle and ridgeline test of the WBBB further. I will be seeking a Federal grant to fund further research as competing with Shug and others (for manufacturers equipment to test) here is simply unrealistic.
    Law Dawg, you have obviously been busy with your research! Not only is it valuable to me as I own a Blackbird, but you have demonstrated how amazingly versatile the Byer stand is!

It is definitely now on my Christmas list for Santa

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Law Dawg, you have obviously been busy with your research! Not only is it valuable to me as I own a Blackbird, but you have demonstrated how amazingly versatile the Byer stand is!
    All for science amigo, all for science!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    @kc7fys I notice you have a nice kerosene heater on the floor in your "meat locker" porch. That should make it toasty, no?

..."or possibly lead to carbon monoxide poisoning!" [yells my wife from across the room when i tell her what I'm writing] I guess she's right. Never mind.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Mad777 writes; I have two trees in my yard! It's just that one is in the back and the other in the front and there is a house between them
    When you get that hang figured out post some picks in the unique hang post
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanson View Post
    "I don't know about the HH but working out the right combo set up for the Byer and the WBBB is ongoing (it still ain't bad, just not where I want it yet)."

Law Dawg - are you saying you've tried the Byer with a WBBB and it doesn't work quite right?

I'm looking for a lighter (lighter than 2 x 4's) stand to use inside - preferably aluminum...
    The other day, I hung quite comfy from the Vario with the WBBB 1.7 dbl.

Here is the deal: I find each hammock I hang from the vario requires some different combo of stand length and/or height and/or suspension tension before getting in.

With my Claytor No Net, I just throw it up there with pretty much any height or length, and with very little sag or a good bit of sag and it always seems to be just fine. Other hammocks seem to require a good bit more adjustment.

One reason for this is that I don't want to be hanging any higher than just enough to have an inch or so between my hammock/quilt and the cushion I have over that darned center bar. I am pretty paranoid about falling on that thing if something in the hammock or stand gives way. The other problem is that the Vario flexes a good bit once you are in. So, if you have a ridge line that you want to have adjusted just right, the flexing Vario can make that quite tricky!

Though it can be tricky to get everything just right with some hammocks, it usually can be made to work. The toughest is my HH safari, because it hangs so low below the RL, it can be tough to stay off the ground after flex. I can usually get the WBBB and JRB bridge to work good enough, but I always wonder if the hammock tension - after Vario flex- is optimum enough to judge the comfort of the hammock.

Except with the Claytor NN, (and no ridge line) which is always about as
    comfy as it is when hung from trees. OTOH, my no RL Speer is almost unusable with the Vario. Not so much because I think I'm not getting optimum comfort ( though I doubt I am) as the fact that it is almost impossible for me to get in and out of the Speer when hung from the flexing Vario. ( I think it would work better if the stand went higher so that I could give it more sag and still not hit the ground)

Still, over the last year or so, 90% of my hanging is done from this stand and it has proven very useful. But the flex sure does decrease my rating for it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12