Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Normally, I make the entire front pack suspension using 3/4" webbing, including the load lifters. I've got a misconception that you prefer 1" webbing with your heavy loads.

We need to share ideas on a hike someday, Hogn8r! I'd need to bring a hand-stitcher!
    I have wanted 1" webbing in the past, but now that I am rethinking everything I think 3/4" will be fine. I can see where this is going; a lighter weight rig for normal stuff and an indestructible rig for the coming Zombie Apocalypse!

But the question remains, how much weight can I really drop and still be able to carry the loads?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have been pondering something of the MacPack myself lately. Could the belt be used alone as a summit bag/sling bag? I didn't know if the pals part would be too long or if the belt webbing would be long enough. If this was possible it would just be another option that the MacPack would provide.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Probably not as as sling/shoulder/courier bag, I don't think it would 'sit' quite right. However, the back panel, shoulder straps and front panel can be removed and just the belt can be used as a lumbar type pack that would work very well for what you are looking for.

However, the front panel might be able to be used like you describe; I will take mine apart tonight and see if I can get it to work like you want.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Okay, it was easy and it works perfect. What I did was take one shoulder strap (the left one), both shoulder strap anchors and attached/looped them to the front panel. I then buckled them into the respective female buckles and adjusted to fit. Very simple and fast. If you have extra long shoulder strap webbing tails like I do you will need to manage them somehow, a scrunchie will work great or maybe a velcro loop.

Alternately, you could use the belt as well and attach the front panel to the belt, but at the side location like pictured here. This would work well if you have the AngrySparrow model belt that doesn't have the extra PALS rows/columns and couldn't be used alone to carry as much. By configuring for courier mode, but adding the belt as well this will help to stabilize the load for scrambling. Also, you could use the front panel anchor straps as a belt just to stabilize the front panel in courier mode. Just attach them the backside of the front panel, wrap around the waist, and clip it in; if your waist is small enough that is!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    Hey Rat
    I know your looking to shave weight, but I was wondering if you had tried out attaching another panel to the back panel to sandwich the stuff sacks , Attaching in such a manner that it accomplishes the same thing that the mystery ranch sling load does but also gives you more molle attachments that could be used even with a full load of stuff sacks.
    When I order I think I want to order the peregrine 12 nylon with front pack but also with an additional AS model back panel by itself to make the sling out of.
    Your write ups and photos have been very helpful thanks.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    This would work well if you have the AngrySparrow model belt that doesn't have the extra PALS rows/columns and couldn't be used alone to carry as much.
    Usually, the AS model belt is 2 rows instead of 3, and has a 21" pad. It could be made with a 29" pad with 3 rows just like the Peregrine, and still remain lightweight. The biggest difference is that the AS model uses polyester webbing.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Two things. First, second tier packing is easy with the MacPack, no need for a second panel. Second, If you do use a second panel you will need to reconfigure how the load is compressed. You want it to be like a Gear Skin; just folding it up and cinching it down tight will curl the panel and you don't want that. You would want multiple compression points down each side to keep the load on panel distributed correctly and not cause massive deformation.

However, if you just want another, smaller panel for lashing gear to I think it is a great idea; but not necessary. Like I said, second tier loading is very easy and with the options to carry pouches and other gear on the belt and front panel I rarely use second tier loading anyway.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Usually, the AS model belt is 2 rows instead of 3, and has a 21" pad. It could be made with a 29" pad with 3 rows just like the Peregrine, and still remain lightweight. The biggest difference is that the AS model uses polyester webbing.
    Shiny, I thought the AS belt was just the basic belt, no PALS except for those required for attaching the back panel, like Gage's.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Here is a good idea of second tier loading. This is on my brother's pack; notice the Frogg Togg stuff sack that is 'on top' of the other stuff sacks. He could load 3 or 4 other stuff sacks this way.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    That's right... a second tier of stuff sacks uses longer cinch straps that are attached to the Molly Panel in between the first tier stuff sacks.

You can also put a pair of 4L Molly Pouches, oriented on above the other, in the center of the Molly Panel, leaving one row of PALS webbing on either side of the pouches for cinching stuff sacks.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast