Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images

Why condensation?

If I have used a pad on the ground, why would I have any more "trouble" with condensation in a hammock than I did on the ground?

I hear a lot about how using a pad in a hammock will cause wet back and I understand why, but why would it be any worse in a hammock than on the ground?

Jbo

PS In the interest of full disclosure, I admit, I use an UQ but I'm still curious about this as I must occasionally consider using a pad as a supplemental(which I haven't as yet).

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    If I have used a pad on the ground, why would I have any more "trouble" with condensation in a hammock than I did on the ground?

I hear a lot about how using a pad in a hammock will cause wet back and I understand why, but why would it be any worse in a hammock than on the ground?

Jbo

PS In the interest of full disclosure, I admit, I use an UQ but I'm still curious about this as I must occasionally consider using a pad as a supplemental(which I haven't as yet).
    If you are in a sleeping bag on the ground, the bag will breath enough between you and your vapor barrier pad. If you use a quilt with nothing between you and the vapor barrier pad, your perspiration will give you a wet back. Some sweat more than others YMMV.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    OK. Hadn't connected nothing between me and the pad vs a sleeping bag. Makes good sense now.

Jbo

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I don't have trouble with condensation on a pad, with a quilt, coz if I have to be on the ground I can only sleep on my side, and I toss and turn all night. Don't spend enough time in one position for it to stay wet.

In the hammock, I sleep on my back blissfully. So I notice a problem with condensation.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Also, on the ground the pad is flat and you don't touch it at all points of your body, especially if you're on your side. In the hammock, a pad "wraps" around you more, cutting down on air flow away from your body, resulting in more condensation.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Keep in mind, a wet back in not necessarily a bad thing. In extreme cold, vapor barriers are often used. Humans generate sensible perspiration to keep us cool, but there is also insensible perspiration that occurs just by the nature that our skin breaths. In extreme cold, having a vapor barrier will speed up the "equilibrium point" and reduce the amount of insensible perspiration. whether the perspiration is sensible or insensible, it will cause evaporative heat loss. The vapor barrier prevents that evaporative heat loss.

That being said, vapor barriers must be used with caution. You might do a few searches on article pertaining specifically to their use on this forum.

• + New Posts