HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

What am I doing wrong with my tarp set-up

HELP

I have a WBBB and a OES Standard in SpinnUL.
    Hammock has 6' whoopies and the tarp has a single ridgeline and ties from whoopiesling.com with the knuckle bone and figure 9 to tighten it.

If I set it up with the hammock ends say, 10-12 inches under the tarp the tarp and hammock suspension work fine.

Everytime I try to rig the tarp down really close to the hammock if the weather looks bad the hammock suspension pulls up on an angle on the edge of the tarp (have a look at the pictures). I think I have a good angle setup on the actual hammock and I can see no way to run the tarp line any other way.

I don't mind that the tarp has the whoopie sling running up under an edge. The issue is that when I get all the tarp ties taunt etc and climb in the hammock the tarp is no longer as tight and flaps around. Once I climb in and the hammock drops a bit the whoopie slings no longer are on the tarp so I'm guessing this is where the tension loss is but I can see no other way around seting it up.

My normal set-up would be in this order:
    1: Setup tree straps, hammock and whoopie slings
    2: Run tarp out over the hammock and set the ridge line nice and taunt with the figure 9
    3: Tie out to the pegs on each side nice and tight with the prussik's on the trap lines.

Maybe my tarp is just a bit small and I'm wasting my efforts trying to get the hammock up nice and tight under it so as the hammock doesn't hang under the edges and get wet in that darn sideways rain. It would have to be on a big angle sideways though but I also am trying to eliminate some draft etc under the tarp. It's not really that bad or anything I just figure I'm doing something wrong.
    All the pictures I have seen with the hammock really close to the tarp have the hammock lines all but horizontal to the tree. I'm still trying to get a good 30 degree angle, Maybe that's the reason for this issue ??

But I know the larger tarps in width are also longer so the same thing would occur anyway.

HELP or advise or things to try
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I'd tie the tarp line closer up under the straps, make the sides of the tarp steeper, and then set up the hammock. Try using the whoopies to center the hammock under the tarp at a good height. Once you're all hung up, tighten and loosen and tweak the guy lines on the tarp to center the tarp more over the ridgeline of the hammock, so the suspension doesn't hang up the tarp and mess with the tension. I wouldn't even totally tighten the tarp on the ridgeline until I got everything centered.

Keep playin' with it in non-rainy conditions for a while. You'll get it figgered.

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    You can use self tensioning side tie-outs on the tarp.
    Otherwise, you will have to raise the tarp up to keep
    the hammock suspension from putting tension on the
    tarp. Try running the hammock suspension through
    the tarp ridge line D ring, then really tighten up the tarp
    ridge line. That may help.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hey,

I'm no pro.......

the length of the tarp would somewhat determine how low you can have it in relation to the hammock..

From the pics, I would suggest either running the tarp a little higher so it clears the suspension and pulling the sides in a little for the protection factor. OR decrease the angle that the suspension is at which would give you a longer span for the tarp to sit lower.

BTW where is this place, looks great….. Much of a hike to get there? Could be a good spot for a group hike n hang next year.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Basically, any tarp with a ridge line longer than the hammock's ridge line cannot be pitched low, right on top of the hammock.

For instance, on trips when lots of rain is forecast, I take my huge MacCat Ultra Spinn. With a 12' long ridge line vs my hammock's 8.5' ridge line, it has to be pitched far above the hammock. But that's OK because I want the high headroom & large coverage. In that weather, I'm going to be stuck under that tarp.

On trips when rain isn't expected, take a small tarp with a ridge line a bit longer than te hammock (just in case the weatherman is wrong). Hopefully you won't be living under it. You attach the ridge line tie-outs to the trees and can keep it furled in snake skins, ready to deploy if you need it for rain or as a wind block.

Another "wind block" solution is a top cover for your hammock made of uncoated 1.1 nylon ripstop. This would also retain some heat inside the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    2 things I see. I wouldn't drop your tarp that low in general. The other thing, maybe run your ridgeling under the tarp rather than over the top. Might lift it up a little and for me, the tarp stays tighter.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    HH exped.Asym/ WBBB / DD-travel
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Suspension
    truckers-hitch
    have the same problem when I use my hennessy hex camo with my wbbb. Tarp ridgeline is way too long.
    Gives no problem with my hennessy hammock because this hammock I setup with a sharp angle.
    The more angle/ sag I give it , the more it will interfere with my Tarp.
    I can sleep comfortable in the wbbb more taut , and if a HH can have this tension, the wbbb should also, but i prefer the HH for this Tarp.

To maintain the 30deg hammocksuspension the wbbb will not be that close to the tarp ridgeline.
    For better rain protection normally the tarp is pitched more close to the ground, but when your hammock is too low under your Tarp it is then even more exposed , so better to have tarp pitched less close to the ground ( 45deg instead of 60deg)
    Happiness aint at the end of the road, Happiness IS the road !

www.anorak84.wordpress.com

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Either use tensioners on the tarp guy-lines or do not hang the tarp where it touches the hammock suspension. The good thing about using a bigger tarp is it isn't necessary to have right on top of the hammock for good protection.

Hang everything higher to keep water from splashing up from the ground onto the hammock. Also, practice pitching the tarp first, and then hanging the hammock under the tarp. This is how you will need to do it while setting up during the rain anyway, and it will allow you to hang the tarp, then the hammock so it doesn't interfere with your tarp after it is loaded.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would not do anything different. When you lay in your hammock the suspension will drop and take all the tension of the tarp and there isnt that much tension on it anyway when the hammock is unloaded. Play with it as you see fit but if you like it that low then so be it I dont see a problem.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Go to the weather protection forum and look at the first sticky (top of page) posted by dejoha, titled rigging a tarp with hammock. Great explanation & diagram to show you how to do it.
    KJ

• + New Posts