Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First hammock... Looking for line.

Greetings, hammockers. I recently relocated from Memphis, TN to Eugene, OR and found that there is very little to do in these parts besides enjoy the outdoors.

On an impulse I spent ~$200 on a tent from REI, much more on other random equipment, and embarked on a camping trip to the Willamette National Forest. I was hooked. Camping in west Tennessee was never a consideration for me. The Sun, the oppressive heat and humidity, boring terrain, poisonous snakes, thick underbrush, murderous mosquitos... Here in this part of Oregon, I've seen none of those things. I've seen trees taller than I ever imagined, trees which one can actually walk under without needing of a machete. The mosquitos do exist, instead of losing gallons of blood to them, I lose mere droplets. It does get a bit cold at times though, but the cold comes along with a miraculous occurrence: snow!.

Anyway, instead of pursuing all of the various things that the big city I left had to offer, I instead find myself obsessed with camping. First, I started making little wood burning camp stoves out of tin cans... Then I started amassing lighter weight and better gear. Then I started developing survival kits. My latest obsession is hammocks.

I've built my first, out of some overpriced rip-stop nylon from Jo-Ann's (Walmart had nothing!) and paracord. The suspension is continuous line (with short peices of webbing at the trees).

I'm proud of it, but unfortunately I've yet to actually sleep in it. For one thing, it's quite cold now and I lack a cold weather solution. I'd like to make an underquilt, but I'm not sure where to get a good deal on down. Also, I'm concerned about the use of paracord for the suspension. It seems to hold me, but I haven't got it wet and I haven't strung it at a shallow angle. I think I'd like to try replacing the paracord with Spyderline or the like, but I can't find a source for it online where the price of shipping doesn't dominate the cost.

Can anyone recommend a solution? Group buys? Does anyone have some spare materials they could sell me with reasonable shipping? I would appreciate any helpful advice.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello and welcome! Paracord is not the best choice. You'll find a large majority of members use 7/64 inch amsteel for their suspensions. We make whoopie slings and utility constrictor ropes out of the stuff and use it in conjunction with straps that protect the trees from damage. Arrowhead equipment owned my member pgibson is a popular place to get the amsteel or the ready made whoopie slings along with other suspension needs.
    Last edited by Bubba; 11-24-2010 at 15:07.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post
    Anyway, instead of pursuing all of the various things that the big city I left had to offer, I instead find myself obsessed with camping. First, I started making little wood burning camp stoves out of tin cans... Then I started amassing lighter weight and better gear. Then I started developing survival kits. My latest obsession is hammocks.
    Sounds just like me, except I started by making alcohol stove rather than wood burning stoves.

As far as the type of line to use for your suspension, paracord is not a great choice because it will stretch a lot, I would recommend Amsteel Blue myself. You should take a look at this post:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=amsteel+blue

The Redden Marine site provided on that post has amsteel blue of all different colors and diameters, and you can get as much or as little as you would like. I purchased my amsteel there, and made my own whoopie slings with it. Also a very fun project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CorthADuXs

Welcome to the forum by the way. There is a great wealth of information contained within, so take your time and enjoy learning everything there is to know about hammocks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Well welcome to HF, Eugene is supposed to be an awesome placec its on my list of places to go. And all the answers to your questions lay with in this forum. Enjoy the new obsession but be careful it gets addicting fast. Also storm crow (adam) over at hammockgear.com is haveing a sale on one of his quilts right now. The Jacks at Jacks R Better are also having a quilt sale as well as over the coming weeks various of their quilts will be going on sale. Or a 1/4 ccf pad can get you into the 35's or so. Have fun reading up though.
    Peace
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Welcome aboard! Enjoy the diy adventure.
    As for buying some down, Look here.
    Adam and Jen's bulk down and fluffy goodness emporium and outlet mall (Really it's called HammockGear)
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    That first paragraph or so is pure elegiac prose. My wife and I are longing to leave Minnesota for OR or WA. I lived there a scant decade when I was a hippie college kid. It's a lot better out there, ainnit?
    Jonathan

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    kc7fys- you made me look up elegiac prose way too early in the day .

jackleberry - another source for great suspension offerings are http://whoopieslings.com/

enjoy
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    Paracord will hold you up but as someone already wrote it will stretch a little bit. There are many, many solutions on how to hang your hammock. Right now whoopies made of Amsteel is the most popular way to hang but you might come up with a brilliant idea and a completely new solution.

Welcome to the hanging world, by the way!
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I wouldn't trust paracord to hold me up. I've broken it twice now...and it's real 550 b/c I cut it off the parachute myself. 550 cord is rated at 550 lbs...but knots derate cordage, and with use that knot will get tighter until the cord eventually breaks.

So it'll hold you up...for a little while.

It's also designed to stretch to absorb opening shock...and you don't want hammock suspension to stretch. Much better to get Spectra, Amsteel or polyester/polypro webbing, IMO.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Give those whoopie slings a try, I have made 6 now and they are getting pretty easy to do. Bought all my amsteel from Redden, they often throw in some extra if they are at the end of a roll. Got my tree straps from Arrowhead but I'll try to make the next set. Love Oregon, I shipped my Yeti mountain bike out there a few years ago while attending a meeting and did a ton of riding at Oak Ridge and elsewhere.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast