Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images

Strange Question: Bridge using Amsteel

Maybe this has been done before? If so, my apologies for bringing it up again.

I got my JRB Bridge hammock a few days back. Totally loving it (thanks JRB crew)! Now, I will have a tough time choosing which hammock to take with me when I go out. Hmmm.....

Anyhoo.... While hanging in the bridge today, I got ta thinkin'... could one build a bridge hammock using amsteel instead of webbing straps? Has anyone done this? And, do I have yet another DIY project in the works? Heh heh.

Thoughts? If you were to make one, what size amsteel would y'all think one might use? Figure around 200-220 hanging weight for me and my pup.

Y'know how it is... just one of those random hangin' thoughts we all get from time to time. Heh heh.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creativeKayt View Post
    Maybe this has been done before? If so, my apologies for bringing it up again.

I got my JRB Bridge hammock a few days back. Totally loving it (thanks JRB crew)! Now, I will have a tough time choosing which hammock to take with me when I go out. Hmmm.....

Anyhoo.... While hanging in the bridge today, I got ta thinkin'... could one build a bridge hammock using amsteel instead of webbing straps? Has anyone done this? And, do I have yet another DIY project in the works? Heh heh.

Thoughts? If you were to make one, what size amsteel would y'all think one might use? Figure around 200-220 hanging weight for me and my pup.

Y'know how it is... just one of those random hangin' thoughts we all get from time to time. Heh heh.
    I've done that, well, the equivalent. I used Vectrus. Rated to 2000 lbs.
    dblhmmck routinely makes his bridge hammocks using cord on the side. TeeDee does the same. There are others, I think. I'd expect that 7/64" Amsteel would be strong enough for you. Certainly 1/8" would be.

When you get more deeply into thinking about the project you will realize there's a special problem...how do you keep the hammock body from sliding along the cord channel towards the center when you get in?

Someone has suggested, perhaps even executed, sewing the cord right through to the fabric. I have put webbing loops at the corners of the hammock and then did a bit of knotwork where the cord emerges to tie it to those loops and so keep the body from sliding. TeeDee has a super secret method he's not telling about. So maybe you can discover that or a better one and let us know how it goes.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    When you get more deeply into thinking about the project you will realize there's a special problem...how do you keep the hammock body from sliding along the cord channel towards the center when you get in?

Someone has suggested, perhaps even executed, sewing the cord right through to the fabric. I have put webbing loops at the corners of the hammock and then did a bit of knotwork where the cord emerges to tie it to those loops and so keep the body from sliding. TeeDee has a super secret method he's not telling about. So maybe you can discover that or a better one and let us know how it goes.
    That's funny! In fact, that was one of the first things I thought about when I started thinking through how it might work. Once I finish my DIY tarp, I think I may have to experiment with this one. Thanks for the info!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    I like the feel of the wide webbing in my GrizzBridge. I think the small diameter cord would have a negative feel as far as "pressure point" on my hands/arm and knee hanging over the side when I'm laying on my side. My 2 cents worth
    Fancee Feest = preferred alcohol stove of "informed backpackers"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have sewn the amsteel into the bridge. The amsteel lays flat as it goes thru the foot of the sewing machine. I sewed it along the top edge, rolled the hem about 3/4", then rolled the material one more time to put the amsteel back along the top edge. This added some strength along the edge to sew tabs etc since there was not webbing to sew to. The link below is the hammock I made

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8266

I realized after I made this hammock that I probably got lucky because the amsteel will have to be near perfect in the arc when sewn in. If it is not the thread and fabric will be torn when the amsteel is loaded. I decided to not press my luck and used a spectra climbing sling on my last one. (8' sling is 16' of webbing). I then used amsteel for triangles and suspension.

http://www.rei.com/product/751490

I also do the end caps like in this thread now. Makes it really fast to make a bridge.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23294

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Oh, yeah!! I remember watching that and being super impressed. I completely spaced that you used amsteel. I like the idea of using a combination of webbing and amsteel, too. Excellent advice. Thanks.
    (rubs hands together and pushes up sleeves to get to work)

• + New Posts