Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Crowsnest Max Temp Rating?

O.K. So I was looking at the crowsnests. Due to this wonderful sale coming up on Friday, I definitely am going to have to purchase one. What I am having difficulty deciding is whether I should go with the Summer Crowsnest, or the 3-Season Crowsnest?

I live in Florida, and it is hot most of the year, so most of the time I can get away with no insulation at all, or just my Therm-A-Rest Z-Pad. In the middle of the winter, the temperature in my neck of the woods rarely drops below 45*F, and almost never drops below freezing (that's South Florida for ya).

I know that the Summer Crowsnest is good down to 40*F, which should be just fine anywhere in Florida in the Winter, but I know that I would like to make it to hangs in the Gorge, and further north in the future, not to mention trips that I plan on taking myself up north as well. I know that in the future, I will probably own every type of UQ known to man, but for now I can really only afford one (for this winter at least). So here is the dilemma:

Seeing as I would like to go out of Florida for some weekend trips this coming Spring, I was thinking that the 3-Season Crowsnest might be more appropriate than the Summer Crowsnest so that I can have some good insulation down to 20*F. However, I would also like something to use in Florida in the Winter considering this is where I will be doing most of my hanging. As I said, the temps in Florida in the Winter can go down to freezing (maybe a little colder in North Florida, where I do also plan on hanging some), but they could also possibly be as high as 75*F in the middle of the night depending on the weekend.

So......what is the highest temperature you would say a 3-season Crowsnest would still be comfortable to before I would start to sweat? Mind you, I am a fairly warm sleeper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and remember there is a time-line on this as I must purchase this product on FRIDAY! Not to put any pressure on any of you, since the pressure clearly falls on me at this time!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I actually slept in mine which arrived yesterday in the garage last night as my wife is away with work.

It's starting to warm up here and the coldest it got down to was only 20.6 C or 69 F.

Mines a 3 season crowsnest with 2 oz overfill and 900 down.

I only had on boxer's and no shirt or sock's and was boardering on hot with no TQ. I just had the quilt under the hammock, not tight on the end bungies.
    But after I had had enough of that I slid the quilt right up the head end of the hammock to vent it right out and sleep wonderfully.

I ended up sliding it back down around 4am loosely and pulling my TQ over me without the footbox clipped up. and my feet still poking out the side.
    I was comfy but generally sleep hot.

In saying that I have a TeWa summer UQ that I have used down to 5 C or around 40 F and anything under that and I was cold. It's a bit narrower though than the crowsnest and it's sewn through construction.

Any time the weather might be under say 7-8 C I'll take the 3 season UQ just to be comfy, It's nice to have the ability to vent it out or if it really gets hot just use no TQ at all.

I'll be doing that tonight as it's 32 C outside now......I'll just swing it under if I get cold.
    I can let you know how that goes if you like.....
    Last edited by pig.slayer; 11-25-2010 at 01:03.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Of course it all depends on how you sleep, and I generally sleep hot and prefer to sleep a little chill if possible. That said, I've taken my Summer Crowsnest down to at least 35*. It's supposed to make it down to freezing this weekend and I'm looking forward to testing it then. I would think that in general you wouldn't have any problem to 40* or slightly below that.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pig.slayer View Post
    I'll be doing that tonight as it's 32 C outside now......I'll just swing it under if I get cold.
    I can let you know how that goes if you like.....
    Thanks for the help pig.slayer. Just what I was looking for. I could certainly use all of the information I can get to make an informed decision, so if you could let me know how that goes tonight, that would be great!

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    I already own a 3 season crows and have a winter Inc, on its way. Friday I will order a winter crowsnest. You either buy what you want or can afford and adapt. My advice, get the 3 season, vent it and have more versatility. But thats just me

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stairguy View Post
    I already own a 3 season crows and have a winter Inc, on its way. Friday I will order a winter crowsnest. You either buy what you want or can afford and adapt. My advice, get the 3 season, vent it and have more versatility. But thats just me
    That definitely seems to be what I am leaning towards. This was just the kind of input I was looking for to make sure I make an informed decision. Thanks Stairguy.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Someone else commented some time back that your UQ is kind of like the mattress on your bed. You use the same one year round. My take is the same, but imagine you have the added warmth of something wrapping around your shoulders. You should not need anything much below 70º, and venting is no real problem.

Also remember that supplementing your UQ with something as simple as a space blanket will get you another 10º-15º off warmth. I did this very effectively earlier this month when (in Northwest Florida) I was camping out in 34º weather 2 concecutive nights and was toasty.

My vote, however, would be the 3S. YMMV.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I hear you cfisch9. I'm in the exact same boat. Me, I sleep fairly warm. I have slept a number of nights with only my CCF pad and cheap sleeping bag into the mid-40's. Very close to what a Normal temp will be with Florida camping. And I'm very comfortable.

I feel most times I can sleep just fine with that setup, and the times or events I travel north to camp, I want the added comfort into the freezing temps. Much the same like trips to NC Linville Gorge.

I'm ordering a 3 Season Crowsnest. Questionable temps I can vent as suggested in earlier posts.

Can't pass that Black Friday deal!

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I had the same decision to make earlier this week. However, I was looking at an Incubator / Burrow purchase, so no Crowsnest sale deadline to meet. I do river rafting trips in Utah & Idaho. Night time temps can vary from 30s in the spring & fall, to 60s in the summer. I was pretty much set on the 3 Season Incubator. HF folks advised to cover my coldest temps & vent for warmer. My big decision was whether to get the 3 Season Burrow or the Summer Burrow with 900 fill since I was getting a warmer UQ. After talking to Adam, I decided to go 3 Season all the way. Now I'll be confident that I can handle whatever Mother Nature throws at me. This gives me the ability to go farther into late fall, early spring, or even some winter trips. Better to have & not need, than need and not have.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 11-25-2010 at 10:21. Reason: x

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Well... looks like I will be going with the 3-Season Crowsnest. With the ability to vent it it just seems like the more diverse option.

Thanks for the help everyone. And HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

I have been on a pretty serious diet, and have lost 35 pounds since the beginning of September, but I think I might just have to take one day off for Thanksgiving Dinner. I just can't help myself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast