Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Winter Preparation.....

T'was the Night before Thanksgiving we had a good cold night here in Minnesota .... windy and down to 7º.......
    That day I added the 2QZQ pole mod to my DIY Tarp with doors. Want to see how it works with snow load ... so far with little snow it was good.
    Slept in my DIY Greenie Hammock, Warbonnet Black Mamba TQ, Warbonnet Winter Yeti and my DIY Frankenquilt under my feet and legs. Wee gap between the two UQs but I never felt or noticed it.
    Wore one pair medium SW socks, polypro tights, insulated undershirt, light fleece top, balaclava, Blackrock down hat.
    Slept snug and warm as could be........ wonderful night. Nary a cold spot on me.
    I did try my Yeti with and without the "lifters" I added and much warmer with the shockcord lifters hooked to the ridgeline of my hammock. Just really snugs it on my buttocks. I like it as I have no doubt there.
    A bit more diddly with two 1/2 UQs but I like the options of adding or subtracting as needed.
    All secure in sector seven,
    Shug

IMG_2084_thumb.jpg

IMG_2083_thumb.jpg

IMG_2081_thumb.jpg

IMG_2082_thumb.jpg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies
    Thanks for sharin Shug. I'm liking the looks of the room that pole mod makes.
    The Woooods!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I am jealous. I've got some gear that I have been trying to test for some upcoming winter hangs. Unlike where you are at. Mother nature here is just not cooperating. The temps have been unseasonably warm. The low last night was 59. It got to 38 one night. But as luck wold have it I could not do any testing that night.
    Terry

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wa-Hangman View Post
    Thanks for sharin Shug. I'm liking the looks of the room that pole mod makes.
    I'm liking it too ..... can still use the pull-outs for more room or stability in wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    I am jealous. I've got some gear that I have been trying to test for some upcoming winter hangs. Unlike where you are at. Mother nature here is just not cooperating. The temps have been unseasonably warm. The low last night was 59. It got to 38 one night. But as luck wold have it I could not do any testing that night.
    The cold is coming your way......... I hope.

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Nice set up Shug. My winter UQ's are on the way and I can Quit makeshifting. Hope to see you at the Frozen Butt

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I've really been contemplating adding a similar pole setup to my upcoming DIY tarp project (which I'm starting today), so this is quite timely. Thanks, Shug!! Any thoughts on having the pole inside the tarp as opposed to outside?

(whispering to self) Why is it I feel more and more like a Mad Scientist the deeper I get into my addic.... errr... erm, passion? Heh heh.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the winter update. I like the idea of adding the lighter UQ for the lower half of the body.
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stairguy View Post
    Nice set up Shug. My winter UQ's are on the way and I can Quit makeshifting. Hope to see you at the Frozen Butt
    Hoping to make it........

Quote Originally Posted by creativeKayt View Post
    I've really been contemplating adding a similar pole setup to my upcoming DIY tarp project (which I'm starting today), so this is quite timely. Thanks, Shug!! Any thoughts on having the pole inside the tarp as opposed to outside?
    Mainly support from the inside seems better to me for snow loads......I have only seen it on the inside..... so I went that way.

(whispering to self) Why is it I feel more and more like a Mad Scientist the deeper I get into my addic.... errr... erm, passion? Heh heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buenos View Post
    Thanks for the winter update. I like the idea of adding the lighter UQ for the lower half of the body.
    Did it last winter and it was super toasty .... I can still add a small pad for the feet as well in sub-0º........

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Plus one on the set-up, Shug! Certainly looks like it'll work real well.

Unlike folks south of me, we are NOT unseasonably warm. Last week was down to -30's C, and now back up to -15C plus a ton of snow...

I still await my Winter Crowsnest and new version Superfly (with sewn on doors!! ), so not really ready to hang in this just yet - can't wait!

I think I'm gunna have to try and make me own wee UQ to use at the lower legs. Looks like a solid idea. You ever use the triangle thingies, or is your additional line that goes to the ridgeline sufficient?

Thanks for the pics! Got me a-hankerin' to get outside...

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Shug, I'm thinking I"m going to have to do the pole mod on my DIY tarp. Any idea how long that pole is in your tarp?

Here is my thread for last nights cold weather test. I'm open to any comments and suggestions you might have.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25122

I'm starting to wonder if the expected -15 we'll see in the Frozen Butt hang is going to be too much for me. Personally I feel (and I think someone here in the forums expressed this as well) every 15-20 degrees requires a different lineup of gear. I'm at about 15F, and I'm sure I could make it down to the 7F you saw. I'm not sure I'm setup for -7F to -15F though!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast