Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Debrief sessions are boring and I have a lot of time to think about my ridge line.

The ridge line I have been using is 118", just 2" shy of the 10' ridge of my JRB tarp.

I would like more room at the ends of the Bridge ridge line and the ends of the tarp.

Then I got to thinking about my suspension triangles. Due to the arc, the weight distribution on the Bridge is not 50% to each end as for a gathered end hammock. My guesstimate is more like 60/40 or 70/30 with the head end heavier than the foot end.

I decided to experiment with my suspension triangles. To that end I made a modified Whoopie sling. No fixed eye, and an adjustable loop on each end. In the middle I tied a Lanyard knot. The cords for the adjustable loops exit as close to the lanyard knot as possible.

I can then capture Ti toggles in the fixed eyes at the end of the arc cord, loop the adjustable loops over the toggles and secure the lanyard knot in the suspension fixed eyes as shown in my first post.

The two ended whoopie lets me adjust the sides of the suspension triangle as desired.

What I have done up to this time is to make the sides of the head and foot end suspension triangles equal. Since I make my foot end spreader only 50% of the fabric width and since the weight distribution is not 50/50, the compression forces on the foot spreader have been very light with the foot side lengths equal to the head side lengths.

I decided to make the 2 suspensions triangles similar triangles, i.e., with equal angles, instead of equal side lengths.

I measured and computed the head end angles and then computed the needed side length of the foot end triangle.

Set that length into the whoopie loops. I then had to drastically shorten the ridge line length.

In summary, I ended up reducing my ridge line from 118" to 107".

That gives me a lot more room between the ridge line ends and the tarp ends.

The new ridge line length and suspension triangles pull the Bridge out just as flat as the 118" ridge line.

I like the Bridge pulled out to the point that is just between being a banana and an inverted banana. That is, if I shortened the ridge line slightly, I would get more of a banana shape. If I lengthened the ridge line slightly I would get an inverted banana. I don't like the banana shape because of what it does to my knees and because the dropped butt tends to compress the insulation of any under quilt and I don't like having my back bent backwards by the inverted banana. In that middle ground between the 2 options, I get a nice flat bed.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Great to hear from you again TeeDee! I like your use of fixed eyes at the end of the ridgeline and arc ends. It really makes it clean and stream-lined, while satisfying the requirement to eliminate hardware. I've got to learn to get good at splicing someday soon.

Good documentaion for being able to shorten the ridgeline to 107". I've done basically the same thing with my most recent hammock suspension and I am enjoying the same result. My bridge hammock sets up fine under a small diamond tarp, no real penalty anymore over gathered-end hammocks in regard to needing a bigger tarp.

I really like the looks of your bamboo spreaders. Thanks for the heads-up about inserting a short wooden dowel to stiffen the ends. I may try this method, Thanks!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Great to hear from you again TeeDee! I like your use of fixed eyes at the end of the ridgeline and arc ends. It really makes it clean and stream-lined, while satisfying the requirement to eliminate hardware. I've got to learn to get good at splicing someday soon.

Good documentaion for being able to shorten the ridgeline to 107". I've done basically the same thing with my most recent hammock suspension and I am enjoying the same result. My bridge hammock sets up fine under a small diamond tarp, no real penalty anymore over gathered-end hammocks in regard to needing a bigger tarp.

I really like the looks of your bamboo spreaders. Thanks for the heads-up about inserting a short wooden dowel to stiffen the ends. I may try this method, Thanks!
    dblhammck - A word of caution on bamboo spreaders - well a word on how to avoid trouble really.

If you use the fixed eye like TeeDee does, then the eye is crushing the end of the spreader bar inserted between the cord of the eye. For bamboo, this can be a problem since bamboo is hollow and the crushing forces can be high enough to actually crush the bamboo.

We crushed one end. We wondered where the loud SNAPS were coming from and then we took the spreaders off one day and noticed something funny about one end - it was crushed flat.

TeeDee and I found a way to fix this. We took a short section of oak dowel (poplar or any solid wood would work) and drilled out the bamboo end ( only when needed ) and fit the dowel in the end. A few drops of epoxy or super glue. Cut the dowel off flush when cured. Only need about 1" to 1.5" section after cutting it off.

Also, make extra sure the bamboo spreader is as near straight as possible. If you make the suspension triangle small enough and the bamboo has a bend to it, the compression forces can make it bend even more and if the triangle is really small, then bamboo will break. We have broken a few this way experimenting with the triangles. Not too bad if the foot end spreader breaks since it is only 50% of the fabric width. But if the head end spreader breaks, which is 70% to 75% of fabric width, then getting out of the hammock is a real struggle. I was the first to learn this - we heard this loud CRACK and after insuring that I was okay and that the hammock was okay, I had to climb out by myself since TeeDee was laughing too hard watching me to be of any help.

We have no problem with the same triangle sizes with Hiking poles or oak dowels down to 1/2" diameter since both have absolutely no bends.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    delete redundant reply

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Any thoughts on where one could find the AS-78? I've found the specs on Samson's site, and one place that sells it by 600' spools, but that's about it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Kelty 20F
    I realize this is an old thread but it was very helpful for me to see this design. I made a few changes because I like having flexibility. Specifically, my pouches are "encased" in a double diamond knot (see pics, I couldn't think of how else to describe it). Then I use a lock brummel to attach both the amsteel from the hammock arch and the amsteel on the triangle suspension. This also helped to keep the pouches from sliding up the triangle.

I am still working on a solid approach for a removable bugnet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Bridge hammock. Mostly DIY for gear. Three sons camp with me (14yrs, 11yrs, 9yrs).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12