Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

First cold hang

I know this isn't cold to some... but it's 34 right now and I'm typing in my hammock. First cold test. Warm so far. See you in the morning!
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Two more degrees and you'll have ice in your water bottle. That's not warm! Post an update tomorrow morning and let us know how you make out.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Closing the gap?

Slept GREAT* until 3am...

Stayed WARM all night except for one cold spot right between my shoulder blades when I woke up at 3am. I could not figure out where any gap was between the 3S Incubator and the Blackbird, and I couldn't get back to sleep (not due to cold but due to the loud pool pump motors running in freeze protect mode). I got out of the hammock at 3:30am and went back inside just so I could get back to sleep. My thermometer read 30 degrees when I went back in the house.

Once the sun came up I had my wife take some pics of the incubator with me in the hammock so I could figure out where the gap was. It was along my right shoulder - under the BB shelf.

Any ideas how to close up a gap located there? You can't run shock cord over the ridge at that location...
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Any ideas how to close up a gap located there? You can't run shock cord over the ridge at that location...
    I intend to try the Arrowhead Equipment Triangle Thingies to snug up my NR DW. Might see if I can make a shock cord go from where the WBBB tie outs attach to the hammock over the top (center) to adjust and draw up the middle.

You might want to check with Paul to get a pair sized for your UQ.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    You don't have to use the shelf tie-outs. Then you could bring a shock cord over to the other side. When it is really cold, I don't use the pullouts on the WBBB or HH. This allows the UQ's to wrap around you more and you can bring adjustment cords accross top.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Any ideas how to close up a gap located there?
    Velcro . . . Duct-tape ???

Seriously though . . .

I have been working on my clark NX150 with Z-Liners and DIY pads, which are velcro'd in place,

And I have been thinking that when Velcro'd there is no air gap,
    no matter how much you move around.

Just seems to be a good working solution . . . to me anyways.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    When I did an earlier Incubator search, I came across a video by Hobie Cat - Just Another Hammock Set-up. He has attached some cord & a mitten hook near the footbox so that he can clip onto his Incubator ribbon loops to keep the footbox & UQ together. Maybe this would work near your shoulders???? Just a thought. I'm curious to see how the triangles work when my Incubator arrives.
    KJ

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    When I did an earlier Incubator search, I came across a video by Hobie Cat - Just Another Hammock Set-up. He has attached some cord & a mitten hook near the footbox so that he can clip onto his Incubator ribbon loops to keep the footbox & UQ together. Maybe this would work near your shoulders???? Just a thought. I'm curious to see how the triangles work when my Incubator arrives.
    KJ
    I'm a celebrity.

I tried the Triangle Thingys but actually prefer the stock setup on the Incubator. The triangles actually made my setup sag more no matter how much I tightened it. Because the Incubator is super deep for a UQ, you want those shockcords running as high as possible the whole length of your hammock. IMO of course.

The mittenclip on the footbox works great for keeping the hammock/UQ paired but I'm not sure it holds any heat in unfortunately. You may try shortening the shockcord loop a little. You may actually feel the cord hugging you now, but it's better than being cold. Also, tighten up those end-channels!! Keeping those super tight seems to pull everything together.

I like the idea of a velcro strip too... I'm not ready to alter my WBBB yet, but that would make a really nice heat seal. I'll be very interested to see the first person who does it to the length of their UQ.

Images
    Well, some sort of shock cord to the RL at steeper angles, as I'm sure has already occurred to you and as has already been suggested. But while you are trying to figure that out, have you already tried just pulling the entire quilt further to the left? And again you are probably already doing this, but just making sure the quilts top edge is at or below your neck/shoulder intersection. Anyway, those two things always make a noticeable dif on my Climashield "Yeti".

Also, I have a pillow that is wide enough that I often run it's left edge is under the left shock cord. This seems to keep it from slipping either further up or to the right, off of my left shoulder.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Velcro . . . Duct-tape ???

Seriously though . . .

I have been working on my clark NX150 with Z-Liners and DIY pads, which are velcro'd in place,

And I have been thinking that when Velcro'd there is no air gap,
    no matter how much you move around.

Just seems to be a good working solution . . . to me anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobieCat View Post
    I like the idea of a velcro strip too... I'm not ready to alter my WBBB yet, but that would make a really nice heat seal. I'll be very interested to see the first person who does it to the length of their UQ.
    Velcro crossed my mind too... I sure hate to apply needle and thread to either my hammock or UQ, but Velcro or omnitape may be the way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But while you are trying to figure that out, have you already tried just pulling the entire quilt further to the left? And again you are probably already doing this, but just making sure the quilts top edge is at or below your neck/shoulder intersection.
    Had no movement off of my left shoulder. Coverage really was good over both shoulders. I think it was just that little gap that was allowing heat out...

Is there any type of clip that could be used that would hold but wouldn't damage the quilt or hammock?
    Last edited by ^shane^; 11-27-2010 at 19:04. Reason: incomplete post

Enjoy the day
    Shane

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast