Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    With my hennessy came a couple different tree straps. Rip told me one looked like polypro and the other polyester(seat belt material). Now I know the polypro stretches and polyester is the way to go but I'm confused.

What's the difference in polyester and polyester seat belt webbing? Do they both not stretch and work the same? Or am I confused and all polyester webbing is that seat belt type material? And is one better than the other?(Stronger, stretches less, etc). I saw on tree to tree polyester and polyester seat belt material which is one reason I brought this up.

Hammock
    DIY ultralight gathered end
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    "seatbelt" webbing is a term used to describe the grain and feel of the webbing. other kinds of webbing include tubular and climb spec. webbing, which is cool because the two rows of seemingly aesthetic dotted lines that run the length are actually safety lines built into it (thanks brother who slacklines who taught me this). Polypro is good stuff and it doesnt stretch hardly at all-like just as little as polyester...i think you may be mistaken and it may be nylon, but thats just what i think.
    Thanks for the response!
    Dan

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Harbor Freight has these. Just cut off the cheesey buckle.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

That thin, 2" wide single-ply webbing

is probably polyESTER seatbelt webbing. Polyester is used for seat belts because of it's non-stretch properties (you don't want to rebound back into your seat any more than needed).

PolyPROPYLENE webbing stretches a bit more than polyESTER, but seems to loose its stretchiness after neing loaded. I have used polypro in the past, and it worked OK, but now I use all polyester web and my days of unintended stretch are over!

Jim

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Yeah I did impulse-buy Slap Straps... for use with my DD they weren't too terrible (I hung the DD taut, so when the straps stretched I still had less sag than most would). Even so I ended up ***-on-ground once just like the OP. I tried to defend the Slap Straps for a while but they're not worth defending... went to poly straps and whoopies, much better

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I'll use slap straps if i'm just hanging for an hour or two in the yard. I have also been out in the woods and woke up with my butt on the ground! At first I couldn't decide if it was the hammock or the straps. That was a long time ago. Didn't take me long to figure it out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the response. That's clears up a lot. With that said I assume the different types of polyester webbing are all about the same. Only preference woild come from look and feel right? The seatbelt webbing I have seems to work great, but I only have a couple hangs on it. I'm going to get some new straps soon because mine are only 42" and so far I've had to combine multiples to make it work in all but one occasion.

Thanks for learnin' me guys!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Thanks for the response. That's clears up a lot. With that said I assume the different types of polyester webbing are all about the same. Only preference woild come from look and feel right? The seatbelt webbing I have seems to work great, but I only have a couple hangs on it. I'm going to get some new straps soon because mine are only 42" and so far I've had to combine multiples to make it work in all but one occasion.

Thanks for learnin' me guys!
    yea just get yourself some quality 1" polester webbing. Check the weight of the material and what that strap's strenght- just dont want to end up with some real junk, rare, but it happens. I would recomend any of the outfitters/home buisnesses that are supported by HF, they are all hammockers like us and will get you the right stuff. It will probly run you between 20 and 40 cents per foot for it, and id get more than you need so you have some if its needed, or if you mess one up you can replace it without paying for shipping and having to wait again.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for all your help guys. One last question. If I end up buying a roll of say 50" and makes my own. How do I go about sewing the eye loops? Do I just use normal polyester thread and sew a square then X and that should hold? Thanks again everyone. I swear one of these days ill know a thing or two, haha.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Thanks for all your help guys. One last question. If I end up buying a roll of say 50" and makes my own. How do I go about sewing the eye loops? Do I just use normal polyester thread and sew a square then X and that should hold? Thanks again everyone. I swear one of these days ill know a thing or two, haha.
    do you mean 50' (50 feet)(50" means 50 inches)?? yea its just a simple box and x pattern for stitching, idk how many boxes are actually needed, i made mine with 2 boxes, each around 1.5"X.75" on 1" non-tubular polyester webbing, but im sure 1 would work fine...so long as your stitches dont stink. Polyester thread is ideal, but i use some VERY strong and durable nylon thread, and it works fine for me...ive used that thread for everything from the rolled hemmed edges of my hammock to my ridge-line organizer, to my tree straps, to the tie-out pieces of webbing on my tyvek tarp. I think you should use something stronger than the normal polyester thread, like a bit thicker and more durable and stronger. it will probly be advertized as some kind of "utility thread" or like "oudoor use thread" or "heavy duty thread". http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...ID=xprd1002323 here is a link to joann for some thread that would be optimal.
    Thanks,
    Dan

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast