Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Really Bad Wind

So, I was going to hang yesterday...

But I ended up tenting it because the wind was too strong.

I had set up my hammock and tarp and then went to eat dinner around the campfire. About 20 minutes later I heard a loud SNAP, and saw that my tarp had come up on one side and was over the ridgeline. I pulled it back over and went looking for my stake.

THE WIND BENT MY STAKE IN HALF!!!

I decided to try it again. I got a new stake and staked down my tarp again. Another 20 minutes passed. SNAP! I looked over again, and my tarp had once again come off the stake. I then made the decision to tear it all down. One stake was still in the ground, but the wind had flung the other one about 20 feet away from my site!

How do you guys deal with bad wind like that?
    Be like Bob

Images
    let the people know what kind of tarp you have and what was to the wind. feet,side, head or angled feet and side.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    let the people know what kind of tarp you have and what was to the wind. feet,side, head or angled feet and side.
    Good advice.

I was using a Kelty Noah 9 in a diamond configuration. The wind was coming from pretty much every direction, but mostly angled from the head end and the side that kept flying up.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When windy I make sure to clear the forest duff (leaves, debris, etc....) so my stake is well in the ground. Pile a rock or some logs on the stake or stake to logs or rocks. Also ... if your tarp has extra tie outs ... use them.

When Zephyrus eke with his sweetè breath Inspirèd hath in every holt and heath

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    In those conditions I'll cut my own stakes from branches, and use two stakes per tieout. I'll also pitch my tarp low to stop wind snapping up from underneath.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    There are a couple of opportunities to learn from this experience.

- in the quest for UL gear, we sometime forget that we are compromising strength/durability for lightness.
    - ~100sq.ft. of sail can catch a lot of air, and move a boat at a good clip. If you alter your hang/location/pitch to cut through the wind as opposed to trying to block it outright, you will have more success.
    - it never hurts to place local items (rocks/logs) on top of your stakes to give more resistance to being pulled out.
    - try to tie-out to existing items (i.e. nearby trees) for a more stable pitch.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

the last couple nights were rather windy for me also - I was up at Red Creek CG in Dolly Sods - not a big problem for me however since I got a sheltered spot back in some spruce

tarp was a big MacCat in silnylon, stakes were aluminum gutter spikes, lines were Speer No Tangle line with no tarp tensioners and are adjusted with a taught line hitch at the tarp end of the line

in other conditions I have put rocks on the gutter spikes to hold them down - works well but can cause the line to wear due to friction against the rock

my advice is to first look for a shelter spot then second tie to existing spots like trees and third use rocks/logs to hold the spikes down into the ground

it is also my opinion that tarp tensioners can contribute to the problem of stakes pulling up cause they allow the tarp to build up some momentum before it hits the limit of the tensioner and thus hitting the stake with a higher impulse

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    That sounds a lot like the same kind of wind everyone experienced at the Gorge Rat Hang. Steaks were useless because they were bending and being pulled out because of the tremendous force. Tying to heavy logs and something rooted into the ground worked for me. I use the same tarp as you, do you use the tie outs or just tie from the 4 ends?
    These tarps are sturdy and they can take a lot of resistance. Heavy though but I don't mind.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    the last couple nights were rather windy for me also - I was up at Red Creek CG in Dolly Sods - not a big problem for me however since I got a sheltered spot back in some spruce

tarp was a big MacCat in silnylon, stakes were aluminum gutter spikes, lines were Speer No Tangle line with no tarp tensioners and are adjusted with a taught line hitch at the tarp end of the line

in other conditions I have put rocks on the gutter spikes to hold them down - works well but can cause the line to wear due to friction against the rock

my advice is to first look for a shelter spot then second tie to existing spots like trees and third use rocks/logs to hold the spikes down into the ground

it is also my opinion that tarp tensioners can contribute to the problem of stakes pulling up cause they allow the tarp to build up some momentum before it hits the limit of the tensioner and thus hitting the stake with a higher impulse
    listen to HOI. he gave me my best advice on Springer.
    Last edited by kayak karl; 11-28-2010 at 12:27.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Was on he AT yesterday for a day hike(saw an HF sticker at Woody Gap. Wonder who it was.). Wind in the am was murderous. One tree top snapped out so close to the trail that stuff got in my eye. Another time a whole tree went. Wasn't close to that one. Thought several times how glad not to be laying in a tent or hammock hoping nothing landed on me.

Jbo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast