Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Body Fat/Metabolism and Staying Warm.

In the Coffee (Hammock Engineer) at Hurricane Shelter thread it was mentioned that:

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Engineer
    At lost mtn Shelter I had a ridgeline temp of 22 degress, inside my hammock sock with my tarp. After that I hate to say it, but I am sending my hammock ahead a week. I'm adding some extra insulation to help. I was just freezing in my hammock with what I had been comfortable with before my hike well below zero. That and there was a nice layer of frost everywhere in the morning. I have to be warm at night at all costs, even if that means the hard ground.
    This a pretty startling revelation to me, especially when a hard core hammock user like HE decides to give up hanging and goes to ground in order to stay warm. It had been mentioned that gear that was not as clean as it had been, resulting in a loss of loft, may have been partially to blame.

I think the main culprit was the weight that HE lost during his thru hike:

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Engineer
    'm sitting close to 25 pounds lighter now than when I left. I am usually freezing anytime I am not hiking. I think my body is using up everything I eat right after I eat it. But we'll see.
    Going by that statement, you would loose about 1 degree of cold protection for every pound that you shed during your hike. There was also talk of not being able to build up enough calories to help keep you warm at night. Basically you are expending more calories than you are taking in and when you do eat the body consumes everything and leaves nothing to "keep the furnace going" at night. At the same time I have always heard that younger people tend to be warmer sleepers due to higher metabolisms and that as one gets older you sleep colder (meaning you need more insulation to stay warm).

It's almost like saying that getting and shape and loosing weight may not the best thing for winter camping or a long distance hike.

I know almost nothing about the intricate workings of the human metabolism except that as I get older I put on weight more easily I wanted to open this topic up for discussion because it intrigues me. Has anyone else had experiences with weight loss/gain and staying warm on the trail and in your hammock.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

this has nothing to do with a hammock but with weight loss.
    I lost right at 50 lbs this yr. I get colder now than I ever use to.
    I lost a lot of fat everywhere I found muscles I didn't know I had once the fat went away I can wait to get out in cold weather to see how well I do. I might have changed from a warm sleeper to a cold sleeper

Images
    I get cold very easily, and I know it is because of a lack of body fat. On the other hand, I don't get hot.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    this has nothing to do with a hammock but with weight loss.
    I lost right at 50 lbs this yr. I get colder now than I ever use to.
    I lost a lot of fat everywhere I found muscles I didn't know I had once the fat went away I can wait to get out in cold weather to see how well I do. I might have changed from a warm sleeper to a cold sleeper
    Did you loose your weight mainly by a change in diet or exorcise or some of both?

Although HE lost 25lbs he has probably put on muscle from walking up and down mountains while hauling a pack for 6 months. His fat lossmay be higher than 25 lbs, some of that weight counteracted by the addition of muscle, which is heavier than fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus
    I get cold very easily, and I know it is because of a lack of body fat. On the other hand, I don't get hot.
    You are also a pretty young guy, so you have that on your side. I know you said you have trouble gaining weight, but I would try to pack on as many pounds as you can (within reason of course ) before you start your thru next year.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Fat is a great insulation device, besides being a very good flotation device - fat people float and well muscled people sink. That's how they measure body fat.

Look at the animal world, specifically, walrus, seals, whales, etc. They keep a lot of body fat for insulation from the cold water at depth.

So if you lose the fat, you have more sex appeal, but less survival appeal.

I lost my weight by going to Weight Watchers. You basically learn how to eat and what a serving size really is. To my horror I discovered that a rack of ribs is actually 4 servings
    I really doubt how many know what a serving size is. everything has been upgrade to a Super Size. A small coke today was probably a large coke 20 or so yrs ago. Portion sizes have changed right along with that.

Other than backpacking I didn't go to the gym until I had lost almost 40 lbs. I am sure if I had started going earlier I would have lost my weight faster.
    The correct amount of weight to lose each week varies from 1 to 2 lbs. It will vary per person also.
    There were some weekends after a hike I would gain 6 lbs but lose 8lbs the following week.

A pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle, it just a different size

I think HE just needs to use more olive oil with his meals, it is a healthy fat, so the only reason not to use it liberally is weight gain which, apparantly isn't his problem currently.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I think HE just needs to use more olive oil with his meals, it is a healthy fat, so the only reason not to use it liberally is weight gain which, apparantly isn't his problem currently.
    22 years ago ( ) I took a NOLS course in Wyoming ( 30 days Wind River Mountaineering) during the month of June. I remember hiking all day, and doing a river crossing with Tyrolean traverse, on June 27 in a windy snow storm that dropped well over a foot, with a low that night of 22*. We were three people to each tarp. One friend finished that night with a branch from a pine tree breaking off from the snow, falling and penetrating his tarp and dumping a load of snow in his face at 2AM, to which his comment was "Well, live and learn". Like he was not cold enough already! Everything in my pack and in my "waterproof" stuff sacks was at least damp, if not outright wet, after that long hike and debilitating day. I went to "sleep" with a bag of fat nuts beside me, munching on them as I shivered all night long. My wet/damp synthetic clothing/bag were cold, but I remember being glad they were not down. The instructors had strongly discouraged( forbidden?) down anything on this long trip that would be so far ( minimum 10, often 20 miles) from any trailhead or dirt road. I thought they were wrong about that ( I grudgingly left a -5* down bag behind in my truck) but agreed they might have been correct after this experience.

It was that kind of summer trip. And I lost 22lbs in 30 days, even with 3000 calories per day. Everybody had massive weight loss.

Anyway, one of the first things they taught us was the value of heavy fat intake for staying warm. We would even add butter to our hot chocolate, and even tea or coffee! In fact, I remember that day, while we aere getting things together for that river crossing, people were starting to get hypothermic while standing around, lips literally turning blue! So the instructors would verbally harass the blue folks into side straddle hops and running in place while others were firing up ther stoves and making hot chocolate plus BUTTER! We also ate a hell of a lot of cheese and nuts.

True, I was still very cold on this one night. But who knows, without the tricks they taught us( hot water bottles, mummy bags closed down to breathing hole, sit ups in the bag, etc etc ) and the high fat intake and the synthetic insulation, I might have been worse off than just cold. But they seemed to consider a high fat diet essential for staying warm enough to survive and maybe sometimes even being comfortable, when hiking out in one day is not an option.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes, chubby is better for cold activities. As a diver in the Northeast I noticed that the vast majority of the hardcore types all looked like they enjoyed dinner, or dinners. I always got nervous diving with skinny divers. In flordia, they all look like twigs. Course the water temps are a wee bit warmer here.

That's why my chubby butt is heading north. I'll still have some insulation for the coldest weather and walk into the warm.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    Originally quoted by Headchange4u
    You are also a pretty young guy, so you have that on your side. I know you said you have trouble gaining weight, but I would try to pack on as many pounds as you can (within reason of course ) before you start your thru next year.
    Talking about Cerberus, we go out to eat and he ask the watress what has the most calories! I do hope he puts on some weight before his thru next year. He doesn't have 25 lbs. to loose!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast