Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    Thanks Cranky Bear, I'm enjoying it a lot - part of what motivated me to give one a try was seeing your nice summer quilt set at MAHHA In fact, I've got a summer crowsnest order in too - couldn't resist the black friday sale even though I had just gotten my 3S!

I'm glad you chimed in with your experiences, since we use the same hammocks it's a good bet what works for you will work well for me also. Semi-related topic... did you add a ridgeline to your Nano 7 and if so what kind did you use? I have a couple adjustable ridgelines I bought a while back but never ended up using, was going to throw one of those on the GT Ultralight. Just curious if you found a specific length that worked well for the Nano or if you're using an adjustable also.
    Glad its all workin out!
    I had a adjustable one from Opie, after some testing with different lengths I found a length that worked out! After this I took some cord that I got from Paul at AHE(think it's zing-it)(but not that sure), and tied a fixed one up! I put the adjustable one on my GT UL! Sorry but I didn't measure it, if you would like I can, but what feels comfortable for me might not feel great for you, but you never know! Just let me know!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Glad its all workin out!
    I had a adjustable one from Opie, after some testing with different lengths I found a length that worked out! After this I took some cord that I got from Paul at AHE(think it's zing-it)(but not that sure), and tied a fixed one up! I put the adjustable one on my GT UL! Sorry but I didn't measure it, if you would like I can, but what feels comfortable for me might not feel great for you, but you never know! Just let me know!
    Ok thanks - I will try the adjustable one I have and may switch to a fixed one later if I find a sweet spot. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hah - Mwahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Jloden,
    Just read the posts and congrats on the 3s Crowsnest!!
    I love mine(when I get to use it, as my better half has claimed dibs on it)
    Why am I NOT surprised...?
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Mentioned this in another thread, and thought it would fit here as well.

When you attach your crowsnest to the end of your hammock, grab the two sides of the shock cord coming down towards the hammock and pull them up over the top of the hammock near where your ridgeline attaches (if you have a ridgeline - if not, just go over the top of the hammock.) Attach the s-biner so that the two shock cords are suspended by the ridgeline or on top of it (or on top of your hammock.) It lifts the UQ a little higher on the hammock, and also pulls the suspension a little tighter. Found this trick on my Trek Light Double over the weekend, and found it works great on my Clark NA and my WBBB as well. It also helps to shorten the suspension for a shorter hammock, but this little adjustment works great with any hammock. If you tied a prussik on your ridgeline, you could play with the angle of the suspension for the UQ to tweak it just right for any UQ.

Andy, I'm sorry I didn't point that out to you over the weekend. The shock cord over the ridgeline works great as well, but I think that this is all you would have had to do.

Ok thanks - I will try the adjustable one I have and may switch to a fixed one later if I find a sweet spot. Thanks!
    Sorry that I couldn't help more! But I have found that ones comfort is anothers misery!
    Thats all I did though is use my adjustable and when I found the sweet spot I took some utility line that I had from AHE and stretched it to the same length, cut it, and made a fixed one!
    If you are looking to keep the weight down, you can get the real small stuff (1.25mm) from Joe at Z-Packs here is the link: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Quote Originally Posted by Rilmoigan View Post
    Why am I NOT surprised...?
    Tell me about it!
    She loves that thing, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I am never gonna get it back!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Just got back inside from a night out in the hammock - this time the overnight low was 16 (measured 18.5 on my thermometer but I'm pretty sure my cheapy thermometer is not reliable at those kinds of temps).

Hammock setup was same as before: GT UL, 3S Crowsnest, Sierra Sniveller, Thermarest Lite Seat under the feet. No tarp, but I did throw my down parka over the ridgeline where my head was. Doesn't do much for warmth as far as I can tell, but it does stop some wind from hitting my face. I had on warm-up pants, a t-shirt and long sleeve cotton shirt, balaclava and a hat. I started out with 3 pairs of socks, but partway into the night I decided they were probably too tight and making my feet colder. I ditched all but one thick wool pair, and my feet stayed warm after that - thanks to Shug for that tip!

Overall I stayed pretty warm, and slept solidly until about 5:30 - the only real issue I had was sliding down toward the foot end of the hammock which would of course mess up the relative position of the quilt. Easily solved by moving the foot end a bit higher, I was just too comfortable and warm to get out in the freezing air to fix it. For some reason I always think I've got it high enough at the beginning of the night, and always end up sliding

Since the first test, I've added a ridgeline, and I added a prussik to one end of it. Then on the Crowsnest suspension, I untied the knotted shockcord loop to make two separate ends for the foot end of the quilt, and tied each end into a slippery hitch. This makes it easier to attach the quilt to the hammock. I attach those to the prussik on the ridgeline with the S-biner. From there I can adjust the slippery hitches to bring the suspension up and down tighter, and the prussik to move it forwards and backwards to adjust the angle of pull on the suspension. Provided I'm not sliding around in the hammock this works nicely to keep it snug up against my body.

It's still dark, but I'll set the hammock back up later and take some pics of the setup.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was just too comfortable and warm to get out in the freezing air to fix it.
    Way to go!..... Many a time I just let things go on the trail especially on longer trips. You just say to yourself "I feel good enough....I will fix it tomorrow!"
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234