diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles

hammock engineer needed

ok guys and gals, I've stumbled upon a hammock sofa picture on the net and want to make something similar but not sure on how to proceed
    I have an old futon bed/sofa I could modify
    not sure how to proceed, any help would be appreciated
    the room is in a basement with a drop ceiling, easy access to the joists (real 2x12's) I want to be able to use it primarily as a sofa, but if I can also use it as a bed it would be cool
    thanks in advance
    FRED
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Looks like the have a simple square with reinforced corners. The cushion seems to be shaping it into a sofa. It looks easy enough to make. I would worry more about how you will penetrate your drop ceiling. everything is going to move.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    for the drop ceiling it's easy, just make a big enough opening to accommodate the movement, add a bigger piece of tile on top of the track system that is attached to the rope/chain and it will move around and conceal (or at least partly) the hole
    what I'm more worried is the angle I need to tie it off (don't have 20 feet to play) to maintain it a flat bottom, I thought about leaving the futon's frame but it wouldn't look as nice but it would be sturdy!!!
    if anyone has any ideas so I could loose the futon and still be able to make it so that it's a comfortable couch it would be great!!!

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    I suspect the flatness will be heavily affected by the firmness of the futon mattress. It looks like the back under piece is higher than the front to give angle to the back. If all else fails you can always put a piece of say semi-rigid plastic under the mattress to hold it flat as well.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hmmm, very interesting.

I'd start with your futon support system. Since you have the mattress, that will need the support of basically a giant hammock under it.
    Once that is built, test hang the entire thing (you'll probably end up removing a bunch of tiles at first). If you have four volunteers, have them hold up the four corners until a suitable attachment point(s) are found.
    If your alone, some c-clamps or nails can be used as temporary points of attachment, allowing you to hoist all four corners and make adjustments where needed. Once you get the angles, height and location of the four corners, drill thru the floor/ceiling joists near the top and slide your ropes thru the hole and knot or toggle the rope on the opposite side.

Combined weight on said couch may be three or four occupants. which will need considerable support. I see chains in the picture. Some 1/4 or 3/8 inch Amsteel style line might work as well.
    Corner reinforcing of the futon support will need to be of some quality as well. 2" seatbelt webbing comes to mind. Perhaps running a length around the full perimeter, with loops at the four courners?

I think sag will be an issue and push all occupants towards the center. As mentioned a stiffener of some kind may need to be installed. Or a spreader bar. Again, these will need to be extra sturdy.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    I have the same picture as a possible future project. My thoughts are that the reinforcing needs to take after something like the sky chairs- strong webbing needs to reinforce the bottom and the corners.

I had purchased years ago a square heavy duty webbing cargo net 12'x12'- the kind they use to cover loads on big trucks. I have used it for a bunch of kids and adults jumping, playing on and hanging all over it as the 4 corners are tied out to tree limbs or beams. its solid as heck.

Using the cargo net as the "frame" and putting a futon on it would be one way that will work.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Pay close attention to Gargoyle's suggestions - very sound. All the others are good, too, with the possible exception of mine, which always tend to be a bit off the wall. You might make a fabric mock-up first, just a large rectangle of strong fabric that comes out approximately the same size as the futon when you knot the corners. Testing with that could help establish hanging points and rope lengths. The fabric won't hang exactly the way the futon would, but I'm guessing if you got a comfortable seat with fabric, the futon would be even better. Important: put the futon on the floor under you when you test with the fabric version. Even more important: have extremely strong connections at the corners for the final futon model. You might consider spreader bars in sleeves along the front and back edges, preferably placed so they don't hit you under the knees and in the back of the neck. Nice project! You'll be stronger after lifting that futon thirty or forty times!

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Fun looking idea.

BTW .... how's hanging in Gatineau??

Hammock
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    I'd say about the same as Ottawa, finally someone else to go hang with
    we have a few places to hang, but not that many

Hammock
    DIY ultralight gathered end
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    How pretty does it need to be? is it for a man cave or a place where style matters? i think if you used an army surplus cargo net as the support/actual hammock part, it would be insanely strong enough, and would be easy to cut to the right shape because it is like trying to cut a square from a piece of graph paper vs a piece of printer paper. also it would be super easy to attach some seatbelt webbing to for tie outs. IDK where you could get a cargo net, but i think it wouldnt be that expensive and would be comparable in cost to any other fabric you would use, while being way stronger. Just my thoughts, let me know what you think
    Thanks,
    Dan

• + New Posts