Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New TQ design

New TQ design

I have a DIY quilt made with the Climashield insulation that Paul sells at AHE. It seems I made it too short and have altered it in a way that I hope wll be effective.

You can see the new material is a slightly different gray. I removed the cinch-cord which was at the top of the old quilt. You can see the channel where the cinch-cord was around the outside edges in the photo below.

Below is a shot of the under side. It also shows the 6" wings that were added to the edges. These are attached to the ends of the 36" tube of the draft collar. Two paisley shaped shoulder pads complete the modification. I hope this helps keep it tucked in while side sleeping also.

Below is another shot of the under side with the quilt wings folded in. I used up the last scraps of the insulation that I got from AHE in this quilt alteration. It seems fluffy, warm, and easy to work with- I like it.

The design is still untested, but will try to get some testing results in the not-to-distant future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Double that is a sweet looking draft collar. I like that a lot. I have been thinking of trying to do something sorta like that on some of our quilts but have not had a chance to play with my idea yet. You ever make it back up here to the Treasure Valley I want to see that quilt
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

How much climashield did you use? I am looking to make a peapod with climashield and pondering your experience....did you use a fabric liner or just the top fabric

Quote Originally Posted by bdbart View Post
    How much climashield did you use? I am looking to make a peapod with climashield and pondering your experience....did you use a fabric liner or just the top fabric
    I used 2 yards for this project and one yard for an UQ. Like I mentioned it ended up too short. This is according to my girlfriend who is 5' 4", but I have noticed that she likes to pull her quilt up over her head too. I use down TQs myself, so can't comment first hand on your temperature question.

The climashield is 6 oz/yd

I used a knit fabric for the "top fabric" instead of smooth nylon. I figured it would be like a "cacoon" liner. It was a mistake It does not slide well enough which makes it more effort to reposition yourself independant of the quilt. I actually think it was this factor that contributed to the feeling of it being too short.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Very nice. When I converted a sleeping bag to a TQ I moved the hood from the side to the center and folded the edges in to make covers for my shoulders, but your shoulder wings look better than mine. I may modify further. (The hood attached at two points is great, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Hey Double that is a sweet looking draft collar. I like that a lot. I have been thinking of trying to do something sorta like that on some of our quilts but have not had a chance to play with my idea yet. You ever make it back up here to the Treasure Valley I want to see that quilt
    Thanks Paul! The draft collar reduces the head opening from about 48" to about 36". And the connection to the wings makes it wrap even more.

I will look you up when I come through there. I still have good friends in Gem County. And of course, I love the wilderness up there.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    very nice,,, I'm liking the looks of that... great job

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    How about a photo with it being used ???

Please !!!

Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

(The hood attached at two points is great, though.)
    Thanks David!

When side sleeping, pulling the wing around will also pull the end of the draft collar around. I am hopeful that this will help prevent drafts down the back and be more user-friendly.

Thanks, SmokeHouse, I'm glad you like it. The entire mod added about 3 1/2 ounces for a total of 26 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    How about a photo with it being used ???

Please !!!

Bradley, I hear your request. I tried to photograph myself..no good. Hopefully my model will agree to it when I see her next week-end. I'll follow up when I can.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast