Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I use both. If I don't have to do a lot of hiking, a full length winter UQ like the MW4 is pure luxury. Set it up and forget about it. No worry about my foam foot pad sliding out of position or falling out of my hammock. I love it. The next AZ hang or luxury hike I do, it's coming along in my pack. The warmest most comfortable night that I have spent at any temp was with my MW4. Did I mention that I love that thing?

But most of my trips involve significant mileage and I will go for the more weight conscious approach. I'll get multiple use from the foam pad as a pack frame support, sit pad and foot pad. Not as convenient, but it works fine. I must have at least 50-60 nights out there hanging with a fractional length quilt. I dial in and trust my equipment - fractional length quilts are simple to adjust and I have confidence that I will not develop a cold spot. In warmer hangs, the foot pad is not even necessary.

I don't see fractional length quilts as a fad at all, but more of an evolution and adoption of what UL ground dwellers have already been doing for some time. UL hangers have moved forward and I don't see them moving back any time soon. I just completed a 2-day, 38 mile backpack trip last weekend, and believe me, I shaved every ounce I could.

It's possible that UL hangers are a minority around HF. Hmmm ... time for another poll? Pushing every newbie here into a fractional length quilt is probably not giving out the best advise if they don't care about weight savings. Folks on this forum do tend to swarm around and get into a feeding frenzy on the latest greatest things, myself included.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I used partials for a year before I won a no sniv at the MAHA (thanks again Pan's). I havent slept in the No Sniv yet (only hung out with it under me several times in varying temps and I have to say I do love that full length feel. It just felt nice to have down wrapped all around you. No sticky pad in the foot box as well as no re-adjusting off the pad when ever I moved. But buying a 3/4 did have a lot to do with cost as a big factor in purchasing the partials because I got a great deal from storm crow because I picked up his winter set when he first started makeing quilts (and then treated me well when I went back to him for my summer set). Now that I have used a full lengh UQ (no sniv is rated as a 3 seasons quilt and I LOVE IT) I really want to purchase a full length winter quilt BUT I still wouldent trade my 3/4 winter for any thing but would like the option of both (as well as do a comparison). And for me I wouldent want a full length summer UQ simply because I like that little bit of cold when I sleep in hot muggy weather. Also if it does get cold i just put my feet in the foot box. My summer set got me down to apx. 35 this summer and I was toasty warm. But like all things their are advantages and disadvantages to every thing it just all depends on what advantages you want .
    HYOH
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Wow, very insightful answers here. Thanks for everyone's time. It was good to hear from the folks who've been around a while.

It seems it would be fair to summarize:
    1. Full length UQs are a little bit bulkier and heavier, but not by much (for non-gram weanies). Stormcrow's incubator is 7oz more than a crowsnest, and not much more bulk according to Tendertoe's pic (thanks).
    2. Full length UQs cost more. +$50 for incubator. This isn't a factor I had considered before, but I see where it might definitely influence a decision for some people.
    3. Full length UQs have less fiddle-factor during the night.
    4. Full length UQs are more cozy, but not necessarily more comfortable.
    5. Full length UQs are preferred if weight/bulk isn't a factor especially in winter.
    6. Full length UQs can be more convenient for tall guys in cold weather.

I agree there is a lot of talk concerning 3/4 UQs. My only experience was with a borrowed one. It was IX. It was fine until it got windy, then it was drafty (I don't like drafty), so I put my Big Agnes pad under me and was warm again. It seems to me that a full length would be less inclined to get drafts in windy conditions.

I already have a reasonable option for warm weather, so for me a full length would probably only for cold weather use.

Well, more food for thought. Plenty here to chew on for a while. Thanks again.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Interesting discussion-------like every thing else, it seems to come down to personal preference (HYOH!) I'm tall and thin, which is great, but has its unique challenges/problems. If youre shorter, you can probably get by with a much shorter hammock /UQ than I can----I'm a pretty cold sleeper. All the info out there is great (although I find it overwelming at times) but in the end, there isnt really a "right way" to hang--------just what ever happens to work best for you. (by the way, I thought Peter Pans analysis was brilliant! )
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    There is something childishly blissful about a statement which reads: "Peter Pans analysis was brilliant!"

Thanks Stevebo!
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KOA New River
    Suspension
    Warbonnnet Straps
    I motorcycle camp so weight is not an issue and I sleep cold.
    I'm also allergic to down...I use a KOA New River. Very well made.

I have owned and used both. A JRB Mt Wash 4 is the most "fiddle-free" UQ I've tried, even less than my JRB Nest (and I LOVE my Nest). Having said that, I sold the Mt Wash this summer, mainly because I don't plan to hammock a great deal in zero temps, and if I do my Warbonnet synthetic UQ does the job. Also, a Mt Wash 4/Rocky Mtn No Sniveler combo will occupy a LOT of pack real estate, so, plan on having a winter pack for that setup. I consider a ULA Catalyst to be the absolute smallest for that setup.

For someone who can't decide, just get the Mt Wash 3 convertible and a No Sniveler, that'll cover about 90% of the conditions most of use will encounter if you plus up the bottom with a pad, and get a JRB Hood and install the collar mod for the hood on a good down vest. I'm certain that combo would accommodate a normal sleeper down to 10F or pretty close.
    Last edited by Take-a-knee; 12-02-2010 at 17:38. Reason: added thought

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Wow, very insightful answers here. Thanks for everyone's time. It was good to hear from the folks who've been around a while.

It seems it would be fair to summarize:
    1. Full length UQs are a little bit bulkier and heavier, but not by much (for non-gram weanies). Stormcrow's incubator is 7oz more than a crowsnest, and not much more bulk according to Tendertoe's pic (thanks).
    2. Full length UQs cost more. +$50 for incubator. This isn't a factor I had considered before, but I see where it might definitely influence a decision for some people.
    3. Full length UQs have less fiddle-factor during the night.
    4. Full length UQs are more cozy, but not necessarily more comfortable.
    5. Full length UQs are preferred if weight/bulk isn't a factor especially in winter.
    6. Full length UQs can be more convenient for tall guys in cold weather.

I agree there is a lot of talk concerning 3/4 UQs. My only experience was with a borrowed one. It was IX. It was fine until it got windy, then it was drafty (I don't like drafty), so I put my Big Agnes pad under me and was warm again. It seems to me that a full length would be less inclined to get drafts in windy conditions.

I already have a reasonable option for warm weather, so for me a full length would probably only for cold weather use.

Well, more food for thought. Plenty here to chew on for a while. Thanks again.
    I guess this is why they call you Detail Man.

I don't have much experience with UQs. I just got a Warbonnet Yeti, and it'll see its first hang tomorrow night. Hopefully there will be no draft problem.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Soooo, what everybody is REALLY trying to say is..... You will "obviously" have to buy all of the UQ's that you can afford!

HOWEVER, when purchasing your first UQ you really have to think about what you will be using it for, and what your specific needs are.

For instance, I live in south Florida, and I just ordered my first UQ, a 3-season Crowsnest. Obviously this UQ will be good for the climate that I come into contact with down here as it is fairly adjustable for both warm and cool weather. Now, I also plan on doing some trips up north whenever my finances allow, so for when this day comes, I personally would like to purchase a full length UQ and bring a sit pad for extra insulation just in case. Just as I would like to have two separate packs, one for warm weather and one for cold.

I obviously have no experience with UQ's seeing as I have just ordered my first, and have never even seen one in person before, but as far as I can tell it is definitely a matter of personal preference.

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I'm new to hanging so I may be looking at it askew (I usually do...), but for me, the ONLY reason I hang is because it makes me more comfortable when I sleep. I'm ok with a few more ounces as I usually motorcycle camp.

But when I go to sleep I want it to be in the most luxurious, warm, cozy place possible and I don't want to wake up three or four times to adjust something that I didn't have to.

I have been very surprised as to how easy it was to put my 3 Season Incubator on my WBBB and get it adjusted. Slept great the first night in the high 30's and have gone down to 26* with it this week with very good results.

I'll take comfort and ease over a few ounces any time.

-jeff
    Last edited by Roundtrip; 12-02-2010 at 20:31.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast