Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images

Why a Full Length UQ?

Just so as not to hijack Danalex's thread on 3/4 UQs....

I too have had the same question Danalex had, and he got lots of response from those who prefer the 3/4 UQs, and for many good reasons. Now are there any folks out there who think a full length UQ is better, and why?

FYI, I'm 6'2", 160lbs. I do not have any "natural" insulation, so it's important for me to make sure I can stay warm. My feet tend to get cold first since they're so far away from my heart. Sleeping positions are back and side.

These threads are very interesting to me as I'm trying to decide what kind of UQ to get/make in the near future. I'm not a gram weanie, but I am lightening my pack weight, reducing bulk.

Thanks for the input.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm a full length UQ user... for a few reasons
    1. I use a bridge hammock which has no dedicated head or foot end. I like the full length quilt so when I climb in the hammock if one end of the suspension is higher than the other I can just flip around and not worry about adjusting anything.
    2. I don't usually take a sit pad (I use my hammock as a chair) so the extra few ounces of sit pad I would have to take is the same as a few extra ounces of fluffy down uq.
    3. All my uq are from JRB so I can use them as a tq or a uq. This allows me to buy fewer quilts (I think) and mix and match the uq and tq to the season.
    4. My quilt serves as "extra" insulation around camp. A full length uq is easier to wrap around me than a partial length.
    5. For me, a full length uq stays in place much better then a sit pad.
    6. A uq is more breathable than a sit pad.
    7. A uq is more comfortable than a sit pad.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm built like you, 6'1" and 180, and my feet tend to get cold easily, too. That's the reason I like a full length underquilt. I've tried a couple of 2/3 length UQ's, both synthetic and down, and found I prefer the full length.

With the 2/3 length UQ, I used my sit pad inside my top quilt to insulate my feet. It worked okay and was comfortable.

With the full length UQ, the quilt does the insulating and the sit pad is a back-up in case I wake up with a cold spot for some reason. Much more flexible, in my mind.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images

Military Patrol Bag for UQ w/ Footbox

I made a UQ out of one of the current military issue Patrol Bags, (Part of the Modular Sleep System)
    Made a hole in the foot end with loops and shock cord to slide over the hammock, and loops at the Head end to hold it up under my upper body. The bottom part of the bag acts as an excellent footbox, and for you skinny guys, you can acutally zip it up to make sort of a "Pea Pod" total covering (My son does that with his.) I've had it to 31 F and felt warm and toasty.
    Note I am a warm sleeper by nature. Your mileage may vary.

Pictures below
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dkperdue; 12-01-2010 at 09:21.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    If I'm not backpacking, I prefer a full length UQ. They are more comfy. My main reason is bulk when backpacking. If I was pulling a sled, I would prefer full length.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm 6'2" 185# and have been using JRB full length UQs but have a 3/4 UQ from Stormcrow on the way. Haven't had any problems keeping my feet warm and maybe that's because of using full length. One thing I like about full length is that you can use your sit pad underneath your butt for a little extra insulation or if you're experiencing CBS. The second night of MAHHA this Fall I got CBS even though the temps were similar to the previous night. Used my sit pad for a quick fix. That wouldn't have been an option with a 3/4 as the pad would have been needed for the feet.

Can't speak to the advantages of a 3/4, since i haven't tried one yet.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I switch to a full length UQ towards the end of Autumn, I just like the snug factor of having all that toasty down around me. The weight and pack size isn't too much of a sacrifice either so I don't really mind so much.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    At 6' , 160 I have little fat to keep me warm. I have had no problem using a 3/4 UQ with a small pad under my feet. Actually, last time I was out I had to remove one of my two pairs socks in the middle of the night to prevent overheating.

I like the 3/4 length as it takes up less room in the pack - leaving me more room to carry insulation for when I am sitting around camp.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Anyone have pics of the side by side comparison of the two different quilts pack size?
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I am a river rafter, not a backpacker, so weight isn't an issue for me. I used a 2/3 UQ this summer and it worked well, but I'm switching to a full length for a few reasons. #1 - I want one UQ that can take me comfortably from spring to fall. No cold head or feet to worry about. I'm 5'6" so I should have maximum coverage from the 3 Season Incubator I have on order. #2 - I don't care for using a pad to supplement my sleep system. I found it awkward & uncomfortable. #3 - The 2/3 UQ was a bit fiddly. If I moved around a lot in the hammock, I had to reach out to adjust it at times. I now have a WBBB, so reaching out of the hammock is more difficult & requires opening a zipper. From what others have experienced on HF, the full length UQ requires less fiddling and doesn't seem as hard to get "dialed in."
    Hopefully I'll love the Incubator as much as others have.
    KJ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast