Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i currently have a patent pending on the design
    It is sometimes a good thing to have one's creative efforts, inventions or products protected by law...and sometimes it is good to share one's creativity or innovations with others. Ideally one should try to combine both.
    Last edited by joggerjohn; 12-04-2010 at 08:31.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joggerjohn View Post
    It is sometimes a good thing to have one's creative efforts, inventions or products protected by law...and sometimes it is good to share one's creativity or innovations with others. Ideally one should try to combine both.
    It only works if you have VERY deep pockets to take the people to court.

Usually, it just costs to much to prove your case, and ultimately you lose your design. Reverse engineering happen all of the time on most everything. International patent infringement is a pretty tough court to go through.

TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    Great to hear. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    ...and duly noted on his website.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Originally Posted by joggerjohn

It only works if you have VERY deep pockets to take the people to court.

Usually, it just costs to much to prove your case, and ultimately you lose your design. Reverse engineering happen all of the time on most everything. International patent infringement is a pretty tough court to go through.
    I use to attend trade shows with founder of the company I work for and he pointed out a couple following us thru the show as someone he knew from a different coutry. That couple set up a store like ours (in their country) using our store name and went so far as copy our registered trademark down to the color. Our lawer tried to get them to change it but since we do not do business in their contry we never got anywhere. They did change the color of the trademark.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Brandon, thanks for being up front and honest. Hoping your new home will allow you to continue a "cottage" based production operation along with your imported line. Very happy with the design, function and quality of the WB products used. Will continue to purchase your products and willing to pay a "premium" for domestic produced gear.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i currently have a patent pending on the design
    I was reading on a different forum about troubles the guy had with only a patent pending.

Seems it's fair game and can still be copied till the 'pending' is expired. He had a new product and he wouldn't show anyone till it has finally become his design alone.

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    I was reading on a different forum about troubles the guy had with only a patent pending.

Seems it's fair game and can still be copied till the 'pending' is expired. He had a new product and he wouldn't show anyone till it has finally become his design alone.
    You don't spend the tens of thousands of dollars for a patent to worry about the little guy.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Congratulations on growing your business, and thumbs up on your openness!
    My suggestion to address those who prefer US made products is to do like Hennessy. He offers a "Berry Compliant" set of products. ( I believe they run close to 1/3 higher in price.) I doubt that he sells many outside of GSA contracts, but they are available to the public.

If it turns out that there is not enough demand to support the Berry Compliant product line, then it can be phased out.

Another option of retaining some US manufacturing would be to provide the custom design and manufacturing option in the US while charging accordingly.

From what I've seen in the past, the realization of efficiency in outsourcing frees up capital and resources to do more product development and testing as well as more sales and marketing. A standardized QC process would also be implemented.

Ultimately, the products were never fully "made" here, they were designed and assembled here. The materials most likely originated from China to begin with. Moving the assembly closer to where the materials are made can actually boost quality in that he will have a greater say in the way the materials are produced for assembly.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    well said Wisen

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Congratulations on growing your business, and thumbs up on your openness!
    My suggestion to address those who prefer US made products is to do like Hennessy. He offers a "Berry Compliant" set of products. ( I believe they run close to 1/3 higher in price.) I doubt that he sells many outside of GSA contracts, but they are available to the public.

If it turns out that there is not enough demand to support the Berry Compliant product line, then it can be phased out.

Another option of retaining some US manufacturing would be to provide the custom design and manufacturing option in the US while charging accordingly.

From what I've seen in the past, the realization of efficiency in outsourcing frees up capital and resources to do more product development and testing as well as more sales and marketing. A standardized QC process would also be implemented.

Ultimately, the products were never fully "made" here, they were designed and assembled here. The materials most likely originated from China to begin with. Moving the assembly closer to where the materials are made can actually boost quality in that he will have a greater say in the way the materials are produced for assembly.

Images
    a few folks have mentioned offering "both" options, so i very well may do so for some of the effected items

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast