Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    well, experimenting with a beaner and some accessory rope, I came up wuth a reverse beaner hitch. I like TD's better, but it holds without the extra hitches, so it can change faster. may get pics up when I get the real stuff.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If using the carabiner hitch, I would personally use one with the polyester braided cover.

Why - friction.

Between stiffness of the spectra core and the polyester cover on the 2.8 mm Spyderline I use, the half hitches are not necessary to hold. Being somewhat paranoid about such things I add the half hitches anyway and it would not matter what device I use. I don't want that free end of the rope free.

Don't really know which is more important, the stiffness of the core or the friction of the braided polyester cover, but probably both.

With 4 wraps around the carabiner or SMC ring, the Spyderline will hold. Period. Heck I have had it hold with just 3 wraps.

But again being paranoid about such things, I put as many wraps as I can, usually 4 or 5 and then the 2 half hitches using bights. I would rather take the extra second for extra wraps and half hitches rather than wish I had after the accident.

I have used the BPL dyneema aircore for friction knots and found that it will hold, but not always and I could not predict when it would and when it wouldn't. Also, I use Prussics a lot and, for me, coated single braid high tech rope is useless for tying Prussics on it. Not as slick as snot, but almost.

so the spyderline is better due to the polyester jacket? Can it really add that much friction? I know I would be adding the extra half hitches just in cae, regardless of the line.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    so the spyderline is better due to the polyester jacket? Can it really add that much friction?...
    ....Yes...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Without the jacket the dyneema tends to flatten in addition to being slippery. This is a bad combination for rings. My rings flattened the amsteel like a pancake. The jacket helps hold its shape and stiffens the line. Without the jacket the line is very floppy also. Neither is bad when matched properly for its use. If you are not using rings go with the cheaper amsteel, use the proper knots, and it will work fine.

Images
    i've experienced different results, i have never found a knot that i could not tie due to the slickness of uncovered spectra, and i feel that you could tie 99% of all knots just fine with it. i think the mooring hitch could be used in conjunction with the ring/truckers hitch you plan on using, just use the mooring hitch to tie the final knot, or choose any # of other knots you could tie with the uncovered also, as for prussics go, try using mason line, once again, since it is uncovered, it is soft and supple, and works great as a prussic on 3mm uncovered spectra, i've never had a problem with it not gripping the bare spectra line, and i've used them together often.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 12-09-2007 at 21:14.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Without the jacket the dyneema tends to flatten in addition to being slippery. This is a bad combination for rings. My rings flattened the amsteel like a pancake. The jacket helps hold its shape and stiffens the line. Without the jacket the line is very floppy also. Neither is bad when matched properly for its use. If you are not using rings go with the cheaper amsteel, use the proper knots, and it will work fine.
    are you talking about not being suitable for just tying to rings? or are you talking about pinching the line between 2 rings, like the guarda hitch? seems like uncovered would be fine for tying to a ring, but i could see the guarda not working as well, that would be one of the few types of knots that would not work as well with the uncovered, pure firction knots.

Images
    i guess it all depends on what you are going to tie, there are very few knots that the uncovered will not work with, however if you plan on just wrapping a biner 3 or 4 times and then not tying it off, you would be soley relying on the stiffnes of the line and the friction of the cover, in a situation like that, you would want the line to be a stiff and high friction as possible, however, once you throw in a half hitch for safety, a uncovered line would hold also. i personally would not trust 3 or 4 wraps around a biner and nothing else, no matter what line i was using. i don't know about the knot you were talking about (reverse biner hitch?) not sure what that is, so couldn't say anything about it, maybe you could post a link, i could try it on some uncovered spectra if you really wanted to know if it would work.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    are you talking about not being suitable for just tying to rings? or are you talking about pinching the line between 2 rings, like the guarda hitch
    Garda Hitch w/ 2 rings- bare spectra/dyneema really does not work well IMO. The spyderline works great. Everything else the bare dyneema has not been a problem.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Garda Hitch w/ 2 rings- bare spectra/dyneema really does not work well IMO. The spyderline works great. Everything else the bare dyneema has not been a problem.

i agree, i did unsucessfully try the guarda and 2 rings a while back to no avail, so i guess i have tried a knot that didn't work with with the uncovered, but most knots do work fine with it, and i think its floppiness makes it easier to tie and set knots. and they are easier to untie as well

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast