Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images

Spyderline vs Amsteel????

I see a lot of talk about using the 2.8mm spyderline but don't understand why one would choose its 1200# break & $.51 price over the 1/8" Amsteel with a 2100# break & $.22 price. I have not used either but will be placing an order soon & would like info.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have used both. If you plan on using the rings discussed in other threads get the spyderline. It has a poly cover on it that will not slip in the rings. The amsteel does not have a cover and is slick.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like the Spyderline better because of the polyester braided cover. The Amsteel is uncovered and can be very slippery in use. If you look at the Annapolis Performance Sailing site for Amsteel you will notice that they recommend a polyester covering for better handling and cleating.

Images
    i am different, i have used both covered and uncovered lines and greatly prefer the uncovered, along with a higher strength to weight ratio and cheaper price, it has a softer feel, which makes it easier for tying knots. it will be slicker, but i have had very few problems with knots slipping, i even just tie a single bighted sheetbend to my tree straps and that holds fine. no backup knot or anything. i could see it being a problem with 2 rings and a garda hitch, but there are easy substitutions there that would work perfectly fine. also, a slick line is less likely to abrade webbing (as long as it doesn't slip, which my sheetbend doesn't on the owf webbing )

if you do consider the single braid, consider vectran. the stats i found show the 3mm amsteel 12 @ 1800#, the ultrex 12 3mm @ 1900# and the vectrus 12 3mm @2000#. the 3mm vectrus 12 works well, you could use the core from the 3mm crystaline (covered vectran) if they still have it, it's just a tiny bit thinner, but not sure of the strength without the cover.

i have used both uncovered spectra and vectran and prefer both to the covered versions. you can melt the end of the spectra, but you have to work some silicone into the tip of the vectran which is't really that big of a deal either.

check out single braid options here: http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e827.asp
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 12-08-2007 at 17:02.

the 3 mil can only hold 1800lbs, where as the 2.8 is only 1200lbs. but Amsteel weighs .53lbs per 100 feet, and the spyderline weigh .4lbs per 100 feet.

but I too am looking for the best option.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=amsteel

The link above to a previous thread here has a link to a supplier that has amsteel 7/64 (2.7mm) for .14 a foot. It is rated at 1200 lbs and weighs .3 lbs for 100 ft. I purchased mine from apsltd but this price is better before shipping.

I use the amsteel on everything but the rings then I use the spyderwire which is really basically the same thing with a cover. I used wbg's way of using a sheetbend to the treehugger and spyderwire down to the rings with a garda hitch. This is much lighter than the webbing.
    Last edited by hangnout; 12-09-2007 at 13:48.

so right now, I *think* I know what to say.

Is Amsteel and spyderline the same stuff, but the SL has a poly jacket. Does the jacket make it any less flexible, stronger, or what?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    so right now, I *think* I know what to say.

Is Amsteel and spyderline the same stuff, but the SL has a poly jacket. Does the jacket make it any less flexible, stronger, or what?
    the cover makes it heavier, weaker, stiffer, more expensive, and more abrasion resistant, although abrasion isn't really a problem with either.

Well, I would be using TeeDee's beaner hitch.

not Hyjacking the thread, but could you help me choose the right line for my hammock and stuff? in the general talk. labeled "What Line? PLEASE HELP!"

and how does the jacket make it weaker?

Images
    well, covers are almost always made of polyester, if you are getting say a 3mm line, the single braid will be 3mm of spectra, a 3mm covered line will have a smaller spectra core, 2.5mm maybe, the remaining thickness is heavier weaker polyester cover.

if you compare the exact same diameters, the single braid will be stronger and lighter, and almost always cheaper too, and i like them because they have a softer feel, which i think makes tying knots easier.

heck, none of it's that expensive, try both and then decide. it's always good to have extra line like that around

as for tee dee's hitch, i don't know, but i bet single braid would be fine, if you needed to, an extra half hitch would give added holding power, but may not even be necessary.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast