Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Another L 4&5 sufferer, with sciatica and some nerve damage. 9 nights on the ground in the Grand Canyon drove me up in the air. I have slept well ever since in a BB and also a Switchback when I can get it away from my wife. One of the biggest benefits to me has been the getting up part in the morning. Stepping out of a hammock and slipping into the camp shoes vs crawling out of a tent.

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    I'm fused L5-S1 with rods and pins as well. My HH ULBA has always been comfortable although my Explorer is more roomier for winter gear. I'm a backsleeper... mostly. Never had any problems sleeping 3/4 on my side though either. I'm not a gear junkie when it comes to hammocks and I sleep in my HH just fine, so until it needs replaced I'll just stay with it. Plus I like the open hammock our Mod 4 provides.
    Thanks 2Q! BTW, I LOVE my organizer you guys made me! Do you still have pain from your fusion? I guess I am asking is there hope?

Cheers,
    Robby

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Every back issue is different but thank the Lord, mine has healed well.
    In 2002 I broke two vertebra. I forget which ones they were, but they were about the middle. One was a clean break & the other a fracture.
    They fused & added hardware, then at my request, they removed the hardware one year later.
    About the only issue I have now is that it's uncomfortable to lay on any firm surface for long on my back, including some hammocks. I think it's the scar tissue from the two surgeries.
    What I've found works best for me is sleeping on an Exped Down Air Mat (DAM) in the hammock.
    I've been sleeping full time in a hammock since early 2005.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I gave up sleeping directly on the ground years ago (low back pain & messed up knee). I had tried every thermarest & paco pad with no relief. Then about 5 years ago I discovered the roll-a-cot, and combined with a 2.5 inch thermarest I thought I'd found the solution. It was so much better, and no more crawling around on the ground. However, I still tossed & turned a fair bit and sometimes got sore hips & shoulders. Then I discovered the hammock...... finally, outdoor sleeping nirvana !!!! I slept in a Trek Light double this summer, and just got a WBBB. Haven't slept in it yet, but hopeful that it will be as comfy as others have experienced.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 12-02-2010 at 23:32. Reason: xx

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    You guys are most excellent. Thank you most kindly for the input. I would surely like to hear from some bridge hammock users as well.

Also, 2Q commenting reminded me... If you have not got one of the 2QZQ Ridgeline Organizers, make sure you get one! The price is unbeatable and the construction is better than that on any of my high end outdoor gear.

Happy Hanging!
    Macgyver

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY's
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter Pa
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20, UGQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    I may just purchase a WBB and a JRB Bridge hammock. My son or wife could always get use out of which ever one I find less comfortable of the two.

Blackbird owners, which model would you suggest for usually hot Florida? Which BB model lies the flattest?

If any of you know any Bridge hammock owners, could you ask them to comment on this thread? I would sure like to have heir input!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc B View Post
    Thanks 2Q! BTW, I LOVE my organizer you guys made me! Do you still have pain from your fusion? I guess I am asking is there hope?

Cheers,
    Robby
    I don't have any pain from the fusion sight, but if I over exert without proper warmup and stretching first, I easily pull a muscle and aggravate the next disc up. It then takes me a week to feel good again and only after icing, warm pads and more stretching/exercising. My future revolves around stretching and exercising as much as I can. ZQ keeps on me pretty good about it when I start to slack off. Her discipline far exceeds mine.
    At 52 I still have a AT thruhike dream, but I have to be diligent to stay healthy. Probably the same story for all back-fusion recipients.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    The BlackBird double layered 1.7 lies the flattest. If you are really heavy then a triple layer would be the flattest.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I broke my L4-L6 because of a parachuting accident while I was in the Navy. It has since healed up with the exception of L6 that has a bone cyst now where it healed(when pressure changes quickly it presses against my spinal cord which hurts to say the least!).For the most part day to day I am ok, but it does still bother me often enough.. I find that my blackbird 1.7 dbl allows me to sleep like a baby.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I had pretty low key back surgery in August of this year. Nothing like you need but surgery none the less. I have a Switchback hammock from Tree to Tree Trail Gear so I will explain the lay on it- It seems to like to be hung with a little less slack than most use here. Turns out I like that, as it allows me to side sleep very comfortably. When on my back, the curve isn't so severe nor the struggle to get a flat lie so great that it doesn't wake me much to get comfortable. Added plus is the excellent bug net with zippers running the length of both sides and bars to open up the net space. Is it for backpacking? I don't know as I don't pack but I imagine it is a bit heavy for most. But for me, it the the best thing since the iMac and I love it. BTW, I slept in it the night of my outpatient surgery; just couldn't find anywhere else in the house as comfy. Hope this helps and good luck on the repairs!
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast