Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: no UQ

no UQ

Just curious....

In warmer temps--like summer--what's the coldest you can sleep at without a UQ? Including using a piece of reflectix or some comparable material.

I'm just thinking ahead to next summer and keeping the load light and pack unfettered.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I get cold at just 70 if there is a breeze.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Your milage may vary but like Dutch says around 70 degrees you will need some type of padding. I spend a cool night this past 4th July when temps droped into the low 60's and all I had was my poncho liner
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikinghombre7 View Post
    Just curious....

In warmer temps--like summer--what's the coldest you can sleep at without a UQ? Including using a piece of reflectix or some comparable material.

I'm just thinking ahead to next summer and keeping the load light and pack unfettered.
    With zero insulation under you the nights will feel very cold. Probably worse than sleeping on bare ground since the breeze will strip every bit of your body heat out from under you.

If its just sort of reasonable summer nights I would probably just use some closed cell foam and DIY an pad extender for under and around your shoulders. Search for SPE or "Speer Pad Extender" to get an idea what I'm talking about. It doesnt even have to be the whole length of your body, just under your core mass.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I was completely clueless about hammocks the first time I slept in mine. Daytime temps were in the 90's, night time was probably mid to upper 60's. I slept in those temps all the time on a cot & thermarest under the stars without a tent, and a very light weight sleeping bag. I was freezing in the hammock and had to get up and put on fleece pants, top, and a hat. as soon as I got home I ordered an UQ.
    KJ

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    for summer temps a weather shield can be enough by trapping air and stopping wind.

-Tim

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Just curious....

Think of a hammock like you would water or a waterbed. While 70 does not sound all that cool, try remaining in 70° water and you will eventually become hypothermic. The air beneath you moves, and as a result, you will never warm it with your body. Laying on the ground even without a pad, you body and the dirt beneath you will reach an equilibrium since the dirt is not constantly being replaced with new dirt as opposed to the air that is under your hammock.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I'll go a lttile warmer. 78 to me in DL 1.1 is as cool as I can stand withougt something under me. In the summer, I typically use a neat sheet underneath me, I just lay on it, until about 75. I can get a little lower with a neat sheet under me and a sleeping bag liner, but if forecasted temps are below about 72, I bring a DIY KAQ UQ and vent the head end.

Crazy huh, in a tent, you would likely be sleeping "au natural"

How low can you get with reflextix type material?
    Very helpful and insightful comments! Thanks
    everyone!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    How low can you get with reflextix type material?
    Very helpful and insightful comments! Thanks
    everyone!

It has been a while, but I was amazed at how low a temp I was still comfortable with the sunshade reflector pad. I do not recall what my low comfort tempt was with using just the reflector pad.

Back to the OP... I switched to an UQ, not because of temp but because of comfort. I was plenty warm with using the reflector and/or ccf all the way down to below 0 temps. The use of an UQ was not because it got to cold, but was to replace the bulk of the ccf pads.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast