I've been backpacking using a hammock for about a year now. I still like it better than a tent, but do have issues with heel pain (residual plantar fascitis) and knee pressure.

Thanks to the suggestions on this forum I've learned how to adjust the hang angle, position myself properly and use cushioning under my knees/heels to alleviate these problems.

The remaining issue is that I do shift my position at night. So I'll go to sleep fine then wake up in 2-3 hours having shifted my legs causing some knee or heel discomfort.

On a recent backpacking trip using an ENO double (nice and wide) I was hanging out in my hammock lounge-chair style and realized "Hey, maybe I could sleep this way..." I tried it the remainder of the morning and was quite comfortable sitting in the hammock with my legs hanging over the side. I had an underquilt on the hammock and was inside my sleeping back while lounging. I had a small thermareset sit pad under my knees at the edge of the hammock.

Has anyone else ever tried sleeping in the lounge-chair position in their hammock, especially in colder weather? It seems like this could work, and could potentially allow for smaller/lighter hammocks and quilts due to the reduced profile size.