DIY Hennessey A-sym
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing / Amsteel

First UQ hang :) / hitting ground

My three-season crowsnest came in a while ago and I hadn't gotten the chance to use it yet, so today I drove down to the river when it was dark and set up my hammock It was spendid. No one was around and had the place all to myself. Anyways, I ended up putting the stealth black uq on my DIY (made by jbo_c) XL Hennessey style hammock. Adjusted the uq around me and cinched it up good. I was surprised that it covered my large hammock like did. The UQ top near my head came over the side of my hammock a little and served as a nice down windblock / earwarmers. I thought that theres NO WAY this is adjusted right..but sure enough i look on the other side and it comes almost all the way to the top. Used a JRB foam pad for my feet.

It was only 68 degrees out this afternoon The weather in New Orleans has been crazy as of recently --> cold then hot on and on. With the UQ completely cinched up, I was perfectly comfortable my 3 hour nap. I think down can breathe a little more than other synthetics allowing you to stay comfortable at higher temps.

What confused me is..When I hung my hammock i hung it about at 7 feet up (its quite large ) from tree to a large wooden post, over the course of 3 hours I was practically sitting on the ground. ARGGG, IM still a ground dweller! I am using 1" climbing webbing for my tree huggers and I use the cinch buckle from AHE ---> amsteel to the whipping. Do you think it is a problem with the cinch buckle? I didnt do a slippery half hitch after it. Or could it be the wooden post that doesnt have bark? What do you fine fellers think?

- Tay

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Climbing webbing is nylon, specifically meant to stretch to absorb shock loads (read: to cushion a fall). Change out to poly straps (AHE, JRB, StrapWorks, etc) and you'll see a HUGE difference. The slippery half hitch is a good idea but I'm putting my money on the nylon straps being the culprit.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I had the same problem with my first hang. Used climbing webbing which is nylon, and stretches something terrible. The AHE cinch buckles don't need a slippery half hitch. Actually Paul recommends against it as it will cause the buckle to twist and not stay centered on your amsteel.
    As soon as I did some reading on HF, I discovered the error of my ways, and ditched the nylon straps.
    Nice to hear that your Crowsnest kept you cozy warm. I'm waiting for my 3 Season Incubator & Burrow to arrive.
    KJ

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's the climbing web. Think about it: if a climber falls would he/she want the suspension system to stop short, on a dime? No, they might as well hit the ground. They want a "bungie cord" effect to soften the blow.

That's the last thing we want on our hammock suspensions.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    At least it didn't break.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey A-sym
    Tarp
    JRB Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing / Amsteel
    It probably is the tubular webbing for sure. After looking it up i found that it does stretch, weird..I thought the use of tubular webbing was only meant for attaching yourself to the anchor at the top of the route in preparation to rappel (Cordelette). Therefore it would make sense if it didnt stretch. I thought that the only thing you want to stretch would be the rope that you are falling on. But I digress..

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I bought some webbing from AHE yesterday along with some line locks. Thinking about doing the line lock method for the tarp instead of the continual ridge line.

• + New Posts