Some guy from Missouri

Hi all. I am new the whole hanging thing. In fact, I don't officially have my hammock yet even though it was purchased in Oct. I have to wait until Christmas. It is a NWT HH Hyperlite that I could not pass up (think along the lines of a good price for a HH Scout - current free offer notwithstanding).

In any event, I got interested in trying all of this through some other leaders in my son's Scout troop who have been hammock converts for a while now. They are mostly using ENO hammocks with various tarps and insulation. I see this as a good way to lighten my load and reduce bulk and hopefully sleep better when backpacking .

When I started asking a bunch of questions about getting myself set up, one of the other leaders pointed me here to check things out. At this point, I am mostly interested in figuring out what the best insulation setup will be for what I do. I am not necessarily interested in DIY stuff at this point because I don't have the time or sewing skills, and it doesn't look like it is really a cost advantage based on what I have gleaned from reading here so far.

I look forward to learning and contributing here. Thanks for having me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Welcome aboard. For my money, top and bottom quilt for the season in which you plan to use it. Less fiddling around and if you go with down gear, weight and packing are pretty simple.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInMo View Post
    I see this as a good way to lighten my load and reduce bulk and hopefully sleep better when backpacking .
    Among many other benefits!

Welcome aboard Mike. I'm new too but yes, lighter loads and more comfortable. I only have a half-night in my hammock (rained and I didn't have my tarp but it was oh so comfortable.

Enjoy the forum. I've learned a lot from the friendly folks on here.

Syb

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Welcome to the Forum, and to hammocking. You're correct about sleeping more comfortably. This is first among many reasons hanging is better. My #2 reason is the cleanliness -- no dirty, wet ground cloth to pack. Depending on your setup it can be lighter and less bulky than tent camping, and probably will be.

As far as insulation goes, the preffered method would be top quilts (TQ) and underquilts (UQ). They're easy, quick, and if down-filled, small and light. Most folks here would say to use what you've got available. Sleeping bags and pads can work with a hammock, but aren't as convenient. Some hangers do combine thin or partial pads with UQs, depending on temperature and the size of the UQ (3/4 or full length). Over in the "Bottom Insulation" forum there are two recent threads that address the pros/cons of each. It'd be worth reading.

There are several cottage industries that produce high quality TQs and UQs. Most of these have their own section on the forum. Check them out.

DM

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Greetings!! I'm a DIYer and started out using whatever I had; sleeping bag, inflatable pad, blue CCF pad, Blue home depot tarp, etc. i've upgraded a bit, but still have all that stuff avail. If you plan on backpacking, I think down is worth the money because of how small it can pack. Car camping is different, since you can fill your car and just just going back for more stuff .

On a side note, I've got family in The Show-Me State (mostly northwest). Where are you located?

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I should probably ask this elsewhere, but am I understanding that most people are not using sleeping bags? That would seem to improve the weight and bulk situation further if I can offset the sleeping bag weight along with the tent and sleeping pad. I'll continue this line of thinking somewhere else.

Pro V - I am in the Springfield area (southwest part of the state).
    Last edited by MikeInMo; 12-05-2010 at 16:01.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF. Top quilts are very popular here. But there is also quite a few who use sleeping bags. And most of them that do usually leave it unzipped and use it as a top quilt.
    Terry

Images
    Welcome!! Some guy!!

• + New Posts