Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

7/64 Amsteel Blue Whoopie Sling

DSCN0236.jpg
    These are a set of green 7/64 Amsteel Whoopie Slings that I made with a similar design as Gnome77's (Thanks Gnome). Please ignore pine needles.

The fixed eye is a Locked Brummel Splice from the directions on the Samson site. The adjustable loop was constructed using SlowBro's sticky (Thanks SlowBro).

I will say that this took a bit of study as I came to this project with zero knowledge concerning "FIDS". Samson's site does have a .pdf on this description and the rest was simple calculation.

Both whoopies started as 13' lines and have an adjustment range to about 6 1/2 '. In hindsight the only problem with this is that I ordered 50' of line from Redden Marine, and I'm now just short of making an additional set. Not to worry as the residual will do nicely toward extra line that I will carry for extensions, etc.

Having completed this project, I can see where having a one-stop video - whoopies with Locked Brummel Splice including marks and dimensions using 7/64 Amsteel for various extensions ranges - would be very helpful. That said, I'm sure the combinations of different configurations are "many" AND I have likely missed somebody else's good video though I did search at length.

Here's the link to the FID info http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files...nformation.pdf

GREAT Stuff to learn and apply here at HF.
    Last edited by McSpartan; 12-06-2010 at 12:53. Reason: add docs

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch

nice work

nice work!
    whoopie sizes vary as you well know.. and 13 is a pretty good point to start.
    i usually half a 25ft segment of amsteel- making each sling begin at 12.5 ft.

i was nervous to splice initially, but found it very addicting and easy.

***of note, i've recently started including a knot at the top of adjustable bury, right where the tail enters and head back towards the fixed eye. this prevents the line from pulling back through on itself when the whoopies are at their shortest adjustment. i also include one on the tail backsplice- as i have been able to pull the splice through also.

tendertoe hooked me up with the idea when i accidentally almost pull the sling through itself
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    rip - Knots weaken any rope but especially high modulus ropes like Amsteel. The one in the tail won't matter but the one in the loop could be an issue. An alternative method is to thread a small bead onto the rope before doing the adjustable bury.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Agree Knotty, and this was the reason I chose the Locked Brummel for the fixed eye over Slowbro's loop around the hammock with a knot.

FYI, the Samson info you shared about the weak point being the adjustable portion of the splice, not a brummel, sealed the deal for me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    rip - Knots weaken any rope but especially high modulus ropes like Amsteel. The one in the tail won't matter but the one in the loop could be an issue. An alternative method is to thread a small bead onto the rope before doing the adjustable bury.
    Or if you don't have a bead or have already closed the loop, just tie on a short length of cord (any cord will work)...

Hammock
    HH Exped.
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    Big Agnes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I love the adjustability of the whoopie, not to mention its just fun to say. I also agree that knots reduce the strength of the cord and this seems to to the best option.

But I do have a question on this.

From what I read the 7/64 amsteel has a minimum strength of 1400lbs. That seems to be plenty considering there will be two supporting the hammock 2800lbs min.?). If you were to tie a knot into it and reduce the strength, how much do you think it would lower the weight rating? I don't know the formula for that. would it be half?

And secondly, when you run the Whoopie sling up and around the spike that is run through the webbing and tighten it by getting in the hammock, would that be the same type of bending and twisting as a knot?

Help a new guy out, I am still trying to get my head wrapped around all of this.

here is where i found the strength data,

http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?...ope=192&inst=1

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i just assumed a knot in-line with the cordage, merely producing a "speed bump" would be different than actually using a knot for load bearing... for example, a fisherman's bend to form a chainlink as opposed to creating 2 buries.

on whoopies i've already made, i threaded 2 mil through the center of the amsteel at the top of the bury and made a loop. will this degrade the strength?

**i do like the bead idea**
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Stock

Sorry to bump this, but..

Sorry to bump this, but there was an unanswered question on breaking strength. I have been researching making some slings for my rig and found this pdf at Samson Rope's website which states "Amsteel Whoopie Slings have a break strength of 60% of the published average rope break strength." So if the mininum breaking strength of 7/64" Amsteel is 1400 lbs, then 60% is 840 lbs(amidoingthisright?).

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by McSpartan View Post
    DSCN0236.jpg
    These are a set of green 7/64 Amsteel Whoopie Slings that I made with a similar design as Gnome77's (Thanks Gnome). Please ignore pine needles.

The fixed eye is a Locked Brummel Splice from the directions on the Samson site. The adjustable loop was constructed using SlowBro's sticky (Thanks SlowBro).

I will say that this took a bit of study as I came to this project with zero knowledge concerning "FIDS". Samson's site does have a .pdf on this description and the rest was simple calculation.

Both whoopies started as 13' lines and have an adjustment range to about 6 1/2 '. In hindsight the only problem with this is that I ordered 50' of line from Redden Marine, and I'm now just short of making an additional set. Not to worry as the residual will do nicely toward extra line that I will carry for extensions, etc.

Having completed this project, I can see where having a one-stop video - whoopies with Locked Brummel Splice including marks and dimensions using 7/64 Amsteel for various extensions ranges - would be very helpful. That said, I'm sure the combinations of different configurations are "many" AND I have likely missed somebody else's good video though I did search at length.

Here's the link to the FID info http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files...nformation.pdf

GREAT Stuff to learn and apply here at HF.
    a YT guy by the name texasbushcraft I believe? this is how I learned, he has continous loops, soft shackle, and of course woopies! good vidsEDIT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgVZVLWjtto

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

• + New Posts