Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Ct#3

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Section 2 of the CT is one of my least favorite stretches of land; it's a burn area that runs along a ridgeline that Mama Nature uses as a lightening rod.
    Yes, but Segment 3 is along FS 550 and has free camping.

126 to 67 from Buffalo Creek to Woodland Park has several forest service campgrounds.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Section 2 of the CT is one of my least favorite stretches of land; it's a burn area that runs along a ridgeline that Mama Nature uses as a lightening rod.

Plus, camping is prohibited within some distance of the S Platte at the north end of the section and it's an exposed climb up to the abandoned quartz mine. After that you're still pretty exposed for the next mile or so. The south end of section 2/north end of section 3 might be good. There is a formal campground off of a paved/plowed road towards the end of section 2. Still a dry camp, but should be easy to get to assuming the gate isn't closed for winter. I'll be up in that area this weekend and can check.

I have to agree with you. There are some very exposed areas do to the forest fires in section 2. IF the weather turned bad hiking could get quite challenging.

From the steel bridge I have hiked East towards Waterton and hung at the top of the hill. It's about 3.5 miles to the top with a nice view of the valley and river. However not much to do once you get up there.

From the steel bridge I have hiked West and hung in the trees near the quarts mine. It only has about 1/2 mile of steep climbing. Again not much to do once you have camp setup.

550 East of Bailey has many nice car camping spots. Tons of trees, good fire pits. However the woods are thick so there's is not much of a view or again much to do once you have camp setup. One could drive to the river and fish the open pockets. But I can't say I've caught any trout doing that.

Hee Hee, I think I've just talked myself out of those area of the CT.

Heck, I'm up for anything you guys decide [best shug voice] I just want to get out in the Piney Woods, drink a little hot chocolate and listen to the trees pop[/shug]
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-11-2010 at 12:39.

Haven't had time to read thru all these posts but my two suggestions would be...
    A. near Monument CO--up over Mt. Herman road? Great views and some hidden canyons I mountain bike on. Breakfast when we leave at The Coffee Spot in Monument! : )

B. Mohawk Lakes trail is gorgeous. Amazing views. Water falls which should be frozen by now. Near Breck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    For a winter hang, I think either car camping or a very short hike in are definitely a good idea for a group hang - we don't exactly get the huge turnouts Mt Rogers does, so I would like to do everything we can to encourage lots of people to make it.

Plus, it makes it easier to bail or retreat to the warmth of a car if anybody's cold weather gear isn't quite up to the task.

Edit: I also think MLK weekend would be perfect. Night hikes in the snow under a full moon are incredible. Pike or San Isabel both sound like good choices to me. Any thoughts on specific camping areas?

Why limit ourselves to only ONE winter hang? We could do one with car camping and arrange another date for trail camping. We live in an amazing state--let's do it all!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikinghombre7 View Post
    Why limit ourselves to only ONE winter hang? We could do one with car camping and arrange another date for trail camping. We live in an amazing state--let's do it all!
    I'm up for that.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    This is killing me! I'm really looking forward to getting to know the Colo. and Utah guys, but these dates conflict with my Colo. Saddle Makers Winter Seminar. I'm definitely not asking for a date change, as I agree that a full moon is the greatest time to go. I'm just whining! An additional winter date would be nice. Enjoy! Maybe I'll just have to get a hang going on this side of the hill.

Not sure if I can make this one. january is looking full with trips to Mass. and Cali already planned. If I go it will be a last minute decision. Fun time last year.

Maybe I need to finally order me a WBB

BTW - if it is around the Rampart area, I have a better chance of going, since I live near Monument. For me, the closer the better, which may get me to do one night or a day trip.
    AARN USA - North America Distributors

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    This is killing me! I'm really looking forward to getting to know the Colo. and Utah guys, but these dates conflict with my Colo. Saddle Makers Winter Seminar. I'm definitely not asking for a date change, as I agree that a full moon is the greatest time to go. I'm just whining! An additional winter date would be nice. Enjoy! Maybe I'll just have to get a hang going on this side of the hill.
    Hi Waddy,
    As hikinghombre7 suggests maybe we could have a couple group hangs and you could make one of those. Along those lines. If you find yourself in the front range area with gear an want to do a hang drop me a PM. I've recently retired and can get away most any time.

Images
    MLK weekend hang,
    If anyone needs a ride to this event, and you live around the Littleton area I have room for 2 with gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I'm definitely a fan of doing more group hangs, and switching it up for some of them - just be warned that the last time we tried a hike-in Colorado hang, three people showed up - Just Jeff, MrsMustardman, and me. I'm sure most of that can be chalked up to bad timing, but we've had some trouble getting people together for group hangs in the past, and I am a big fan of trying to include as many people as possible, so the car camping excursions are perfect in that context.

On the flip side, the very small "group" hang we did with the hike in at Goose Creek was just plain gorgeous. Great location and well worth the walk.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast