Jocass, Eastatoe, Laurel Fork Creek -- Suggestions

Hi --

Friends and I plan to take our sons camping in a few weeks and the area we have tentatively selected is the Jocassee Gorges. On our first day we will likely arrive late morning so we thought one option would be to see Jumping Off Rock for lunch, then try to camp near the trailhead of the Foothills trail off Horsepasture Road near Highway 178. I think some call this the Laurel Fork Creek trail. A map of this trail can be seen here:

http://www.sctrails.net/trails/MAPS/...lls%20map.html

Is there a primitive site near the trailhead off Hosepasture Road, say within 500 yards? The camping spot on the map seems to be about 2 or 3 miles from the trailhead and we are hoping for something closer to the trailhead.

For the second night we are considering hiking down to Eastatoe Creek Preserve to camp; see here:

http://www.sctrails.net/trails/MAPS/...Crk%20map.html

Any suggestions for trails or camping spots in this area? We are limited to hiking no more than about 4 miles per day.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    BWG . . . maybe send Swampfox a PM. This seems to be his favorite stomping grounds and knows the are pretty well, at least from conversations I have had with him in the past . .
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Thanks -- PM sent

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey BWG,
    You've picked a beautiful area to hike.
    Here is a link to my trip report from Oct. 2009.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11168

The trailhead you're starting at is the Laurel Valley Access. West from there 8 miles will take to Lake Jocassee at the Laurel Fork Waterfall. There are at least 4 very nice campsites between the trailhead and the lake. The first "designated" campsite is 2.8 miles in, but you should have no problem finding a spot sooner. Camping is allowed all along the trail on the SC side. You would have to go about 15 miles to get to NC. Five miles in, just past the Virginia Hawkins Waterfall is another very nice, large site, right by the creek. Another mile or so to the next one and then there are three sites at the top of the falls.

How many people?
    Will some of them be in tents?
    That will limit where you can camp a little, but all of those four sites would handle a pretty good group of hangers and ground dwellers.

Good luck
    swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    SwampFox is a wealth of knowledge for this area. For a couple of $$$, I bet he can tell you what oak tree to look behind for the electrical outlet.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    My Wife and I did our first ever hang in the Eastatoe Creek Heritage Preserve this past summer and it was great! From the parking area at the Foothill trail trail head it's only about a 3 mile hike or so down to the creek. Just up the road from the parking area on the left is where you begin the hike. The first 70% of the hike is flat and wide on an old logging road, so that part is great for the less experienced hiker or backpacker. It then takes a turn to hike down to the creek. That last bit it pretty steep, but that's only bad on the way back out. The campsites down there are great (other than the folks that have left behind their trash for the next guy). You're right next to a strong flowing creek with tons of hanging options and established fire pits. You can also take a short walk from the camping areas to where the creek dumps down to a tight gorge that's only a few feet wide with rock faces on either side. There's an established overlook. I thought this was a great hike since it only took about 45 min. in and a little over an hour out of hiking, but the sites are great. I highly recommend it. As far as other sites, there are some great ones along the road to Jumping off rock, but like you said, they aren't close to the trail head. Enjoy your experience!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    SwampFox is a wealth of knowledge for this area. For a couple of $$$, I bet he can tell you what oak tree to look behind for the electrical outlet.
    No charge.. It's right behind the rock in front of the big oak on the left. You'll need an extension cord.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Thanks all for the help.

• + New Posts