Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB
    Images

Speer vs. ENO on AT

Mega-newbie here looking for advice. Am doing a 2008 AT thru, and I'm trying to pick out my shelter/sleep system. I bought a Hennessy Expedition hammock and a 20 deg syn bag two years ago and have used them since. This is the only hammock I have ever used, nearly the only one I've ever seen.

However, the Hennessy has to go -- after much trying the underneath-entrance thing is still not comfortable for me. I'd also prefer something where I can leave the bug netting off in non-buggy weather.

The only real outfitter near me has almost no hammocks, and it is unlikely.I will be able to get to a Ruck or any other gathering. I will get a shakedown in February, but I'm going to have only a few weeks after that before I actually hit the trail. Hence, I'm pretty much obligated to pick out my gear online and go with it.

I’ve basically got my choices narrowed down to two:

A) ENO singlenest with A JRB nest/no sniveler combo
    B) Speer with Speer underquilt and top blanket

Any thoughts from people who have experience are appreciated. I’d especially like to know how good either of these setups is for spring AT weather. I would like, as much as possible to avoid sleeping fully-dressed. If I’m wearing naught but my skivvies, is a quilt system going to keep me warm?

And while I’m here -- What's the deal with sleeping pads? If the underquilt is warm enough, why would I want/need a pad? I’ve never used one in my HH.

Not terribly experienced here, but I'll pass on what I know. I have the Speer hammock and love it. As you know, the bug netting can be removed, and it sleeps very comfortably once you set it up with enough slack, then sleep somewhat diagonally.

As far as the underquilt and top quilt combo, I will let others tackle that issue.

The question of the pad: carrying a pad will allow you to add bottom insulation if you find you need it, will probably be all you need for the majority of your thru. It also gives you the option of sleeping in a shelter or going to ground if necessary on some nights. The Speer set-up handles ground sleeping well, but you will need some type of insulation besides your underquilt. I'm sure others will jump in here with a lot more info, probably more dependable info as well :-)

Good luck - have FUN!!!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    If I had to choose between those 2 hammocks, I'd get the Speer. You'd have to either buy or make a bugnet for the Eno. That being said, I own a Treklight double hammock that is made just like the Eno. It is much more roomy without much of a weight penalty over the single. If your local REI doesn't have an Eno hammock, you could have them order one to be shipped to the store for no charge. If you dont like it return it for free. A pad or pads would be a must at certain times of the year. Most people need additional underinsulation besides the underquilt in temps below 30 degrees or so. I need it under 40 with my Nest.
    Also consider making your own hammock. Details are here along with much great hammock camping info. www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    When temps are really cold I need much more than just my No Sniveller on top. My thermals, jacket, rain jacket, balaclava, scull cap, gloves.....take care of that. Kinda hard to test out cold weather conditions in balmy Orlando, Florida.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hi,
    I have a travel hammock single which is exactly like the eaglesnest for sale in the for sale section as well as a JRB Hudson River Quilt. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks,Redbeard

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by furtigan View Post
    Mega-newbie here looking for advice. Am doing a 2008 AT thru, and I'm trying to pick out my shelter/sleep system. I bought a Hennessy Expedition hammock and a 20 deg syn bag two years ago and have used them since. This is the only hammock I have ever used, nearly the only one I've ever seen.

However, the Hennessy has to go -- after much trying the underneath-entrance thing is still not comfortable for me. I'd also prefer something where I can leave the bug netting off in non-buggy weather.

The only real outfitter near me has almost no hammocks, and it is unlikely.I will be able to get to a Ruck or any other gathering. I will get a shakedown in February, but I'm going to have only a few weeks after that before I actually hit the trail. Hence, I'm pretty much obligated to pick out my gear online and go with it.

I’ve basically got my choices narrowed down to two:

A) ENO singlenest with A JRB nest/no sniveler combo
    B) Speer with Speer underquilt and top blanket

Any thoughts from people who have experience are appreciated. I’d especially like to know how good either of these setups is for spring AT weather. I would like, as much as possible to avoid sleeping fully-dressed. If I’m wearing naught but my skivvies, is a quilt system going to keep me warm?

And while I’m here -- What's the deal with sleeping pads? If the underquilt is warm enough, why would I want/need a pad? I’ve never used one in my HH.
    There is a lot of equipment that will work fine for an AT thru hike. A lot of it is about personal preferences AND the weather and conditions you will encounter. You are going to hit cold weather, hot weather, mosquitoes, rain, and perfect weather. North bounders that start in spring typically start out with a setup that is good to about 20F and then carry a setup that is good to about 40F when they clear Roan Mountain (if I'm remembering that right). They adjust for 20F again before they get to Vermont. There is usually a few pounds difference in the weight of those setups... I think it was at least 4 pounds back when I hiked it and that counted jackets, gloves, sleeping bags, etc.

Remember that you are going to be on the trail for spring, summer, and fall... the elevation range will be from a few hundred feet about sea level to 6000 feet. The latitude is pretty varied too... it might be 70F in Florida today but I doubt that it is in Maine.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 12-09-2007 at 10:19.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
    Hi,
    I have a travel hammock single which is exactly like the eaglesnest for sale in the for sale section as well as a JRB Hudson River Quilt. Let me know if you're interested.
    Not a long, it it? I'm 6'0"

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    your local REI...
    Is in Atlanta, unfortunately.

Making my own is not an option, for numerous reasons.

But keep the feedback coming, folks...

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Cannibal lives in Vero Beach. Maybe yall can hook up. I'm sure he'd be glad to show you his collection of hammocks.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by furtigan View Post
    Is in Atlanta, unfortunately.

Making my own is not an option, for numerous reasons.

But keep the feedback coming, folks...
    somebody sells a seperate net that fits those hammocks, i'm thinking hammock bliss.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    somebody sells a seperate net that fits those hammocks, i'm thinking hammock bliss.
    Hammock Bliss' Mosquito Net

ENO's Guardian Bugnet.

Both of those appear to be quite similar.

I can only speak about the ENO, but I'll say that it is well made, if a bit heavy. If you remove the attached stuff-sack, that eliminates most of the weight.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast